Menu

Living Science Experiences

OK,  I’m not sure exactly what I’m after but I’d like some intense, ‘out-of-the-box’ science experiences for my 10 yr old. I just may have the late fall/early winter blahs but I’d like to spice things up a bit around here! 

I’ve got an animal lover w/ tons of pets. We’ve done TONS of live animal kits (including renting chicks & eggs) & I’ll get her another ant & worm farm. What else is out there, ‘up & close’? 

Other ‘wow’ science ideas are welcome. We live in the DC area & explore the Smithsonian a lot but any other local gems are welcome along w/ overnight adventures. I need an educational adventure myself, LOL!

We’re driving down to SW Florida late December & have some family stuff planned already but I’m open to hearing about unique experiences there as well. 

I’m thinking of an extended trip out west—Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, NW, & then Alaska. That’s summer stuff & dependent on funds. Should that happen, I’d be eager to hear travel tips. I need to dream a bit now to keep me going, LOL!

Best place to study real life animals in a natural community is the rocky intertidal.  Read up first, then visit, you will be amazed at what you can see in terms of competition, predation, and community ecology.  And what is even better is that each pool will have a different microclimate of salinity, sunlight, nutrients, etc, which means that you can hypothesize what has caused the different communities in each pool you see.  It is super fun and educational. You said NW. If that includes Oregon, then you are set. 

Ruth in NZ

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lewelma said:

Best place to study real life animals in a natural community is the rocky intertidal.  Read up first, then visit, you will be amazed at what you can see in terms of competition, predation, and community ecology.  And what is even better is that each pool will have a different microclimate of salinity, sunlight, nutrients, etc, which means that you can hypothesize what has caused the different communities in each pool you see.  It is super fun and educational. You said NW. If that includes Oregon, then you are set. 

Ruth in NZ

Gotcha! I’ll look into all that! Things such as these (interactive mental stimulation) keep me from losing my mind during the long dreary months of winter.