Menu

if you love your top loading washing machine....

ProudGrandma

what do you have?  I think I might need to replace mine and I am trying to decide what brand, model etc to look for.  I have an LG and my repair guys said that LG and Samsung keep their innerworking of the machines top secret so the everyday repair person can't fix them...so I am not sure if I want to deal with those brands again.  

So, what do you have?  and why do you love it...or even like it.?

Thanks. 

• Like 1

My wife replaced our beloved Whirlpool Top Loader (the old kind with the Agitator) with a Samsung Top Loader of the new technology (no Agitator). I believe that was 3 or  4 years ago. She loves that machine and it is her best friend.   🙂    It is used very frequently.

The only "issue" has been that on 1 occasion it stopped working and she discovered the drain was obstructed and she removed the obstruction and it started working.   🙂

OT: My impression of the LG products we have had over the years, ranging from a very high end TV and a very high end Home Theater down to a mid-range cell phone, is that they are lower in quality than Samsung products. Major failures after a short time that we have never experienced with Samsung products. The cell phone was an obvious "Lemon" and was eventually replaced by the provider, with, I believe, a phone made by another company.  The man who came to our house several years ago, to "Install" the Samsung Washing Machine, after the delivery people delivered it, works on both LG and  Samsung machines.  I asked him which brand he thought is better. He told me there are people who swear by (or hate) LG or Samsung. Those people, like us, will buy one brand, but not the other. For us, for example, if we are going to buy a new TV set, it will be a Samsung, based on 25  years of ownership of Samsung TVs. Are they perfect? No. But they generally last a long time.

IMO based on those experiences, an LG product should have a much lower price than a comparable Samsung products. If the prices are similar, I would choose Samsung over LG, every time.

There were people here on WTM for years, telling about their Speed Queen machines, but apparently several years ago they redesigned those machines and now they are of lower quality than before the redesign?

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy!

I've had a mid-level Maytag for about a year and a half and I've been very pleased with it. The main complaint I read before I bought it was that it was noisier than other washers. I don't necessarily agree, but it makes different noises than other washers I've had. I like it because it cleans well, the water level sensor works great, it has a "deep water wash" setting if needed (I've only used it once to try it out, because the sensor works fine) and it's plenty big enough to wash the bulkiest thing I have, which are LL Bean sleeping bags. I did look at Speed Queens before purchasing the Maytag, but I was majorly underwhelmed.

Edited by Pawz4me

OK, so, the thing about the Speed Queen is that it is less focused on the ‘extras’ and features, and more on being the most reliable machine on the market, on getting clothes completely clean, and on doing so with quick cycles that still do not damage them.  Those are the basics that we assume for all machines, and they just plain do not exist at this level with other brands.  I have become convinced that the so called features other brands offer are to make up for the fact that they don’t provide the basics.  That is not OK with me.

My only regret about my SQ is that I don’t know how to leave it to in my will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

OK, so, the thing about the Speed Queen is that it is less focused on the ‘extras’ and features, and more on being the most reliable machine on the market, on getting clothes completely clean, and on doing so with quick cycles that still do not damage them.  Those are the basics that we assume for all machines, and they just plain do not exist at this level with other brands.  I have become convinced that the so called features other brands offer are to make up for the fact that they don’t provide the basics.  That is not OK with me.

My only regret about my SQ is that I don’t know how to leave it to in my will.

Is it crazy that I have thought about leaving my SQ to someone in my will too?!  Maybe I can choose a spot halfway between my children as my designated SQ resting place and my kids can go there to do their laundry! 

• Haha 3

Being a former military wife, I've had lots of washing machines. Some that we bought, some that came with the house we were renting, some that we bought or were given second hand just to get by for a while... My top three brands that I've had over the years, in no particular order, are Whirlpool, Kenmore (older Kenmores mostly) and Speed Queen.

Currently, I have a matched set of Whirlpools with a top loading agitator-less washing machine. I have absolutely zero complaints about either machine even though I had my reservations when we got the agitator-less washer. But in the year, year and a half maybe, that we have had this set, it has worked like a dream.

I have a top loading GE with a full size agitator that works well.  I don’t know the model but it must be a higher end one because it has all the features...soak cycle, several extra rinse options, etc.  We’ve only had it a couple years but this far it has held up well to a dozen or so loads a week.

• Like 1

I have a GE top loader with an agitator and love it. It's a workhorse. My favorite things about it: It is large capacity, has dials instead of an electronic keypad, and the speed wash cycle only takes twenty minutes from start to finish. We've had it about 3 years with no problems.

6 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Well I'm not putting my SQ in my will yet but when the realtor came and asked which appliances will be included with the house sale I told her I'm willing to part with all except the washing machine. 😄 

When DH and I were debating moving out of state, I told him there was utterly no way I was leaving without my Speed Queen! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

I would love to know exactly what machine you guys all love. And if you love a SQ... Is yours a newer machine or an older one? ( I heard that the newer ones aren't as good... Hoping I am wrong). 

Thanks

Mine is the newest new one. I heard there was a model the last couple years that did not impress. I think maybe it was called the TC5. I would have to look for the receipt to tell you. 

My first machine was a Magic Chef top loader that I got for about $350 in the early 90s.  It got the clothes clean and never needed a single repair until it died when it was 18 years old.  I replaced it with a Speed Queen around 2010 and it also works really well and I've had zero issues so far.  I fits a rectangular basket full of clothes or a comforter just fine and even the slowest cycle is much faster than any front loader.  

I like that it's reliable, that there are no electronic parts or screens to content with, and that it gets everything really clean.  I've never had a washing machine repairman in my house and I hope to go another 25 years without needing one.  When people say things like "I just leave the door open so my machine doesn't smell" or "It's only had two repairs in 7 years" I don't think those good reviews at all.

If I lived in a desert where water was scarce and really expensive I might feel differently, but where I live flooding is more of a threat than drought. Getting machines that save water by using more electricity with their longer cycles doesn't make a ton of sense to me.  I got burned on that deal with my new dishwasher and even the quick cycle takes forever.

7 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

Well this place isn’t too impressed with the Speed Queen, lol. I wonder if there’s a 2019 version that’s better?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer/amp/

Apparently they made "improvements" a few years ago that actually made them no better than any other machine. They responded to the outcry of complaints by redesigning the 2019 ones.

1 hour ago, kfeusse said:

Is yours a newer machine or an older one? ( I heard that the newer ones aren't as good... Hoping I am wrong). 

Thanks

I got mine the last year they had the older design (2016). 

Speed Queen Gets its Mojo Back - Review of 2019 models

Edited by Lady Florida.

I may have to look into speed queen.  My old whirlpool died last year after 17years of service, but I couldn’t find anything comparable.  I ended up with a GE because it was the only one that I could select the load size/water level myself.  It is OK, but not great.  It is sensitive to overloading and since it locks the lid during the spin cycle you can’t stop it to open up and rebalance the load.  It also doesn’t show where it is in the cycle like my old one did.  I don’t know about speed queen, but while my GE has knobs, it is still all electronic for the actual operation.  I really want my old machine back!  If speed queen is this good, I should probably buy a backup now to have around when this GE dies.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Is it crazy that I have thought about leaving my SQ to someone in my will too?!  Maybe I can choose a spot halfway between my children as my designated SQ resting place and my kids can go there to do their laundry! 

Yes, my Speed Queen and my All Clad are the hard to bequeath items.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

My SQ is a 2016. I don’t know the model (where do I find that?) but it has all of the electronic controls. I did that because the warranty at that time was almost double for the electronic controls versus the knob version. 

Same here! Mine (2016) is the mid level model. The lower model had knobs and the top model had bells and whistles I didn't need. The middle one was just right. 🙂 

ETA: Like you said, the warranty was better than that of the model with knobs. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

We have a brand new SQ (about 2 months ago), top-loading with the (newly-reintroduced) agitator.
In large part, b/c of the Hive's advice.  😉

Love it.  Big bin, no problems!

Yes, it has gigantic mechanical knobs.  My engineer dh is thrilled.

Edited by Beth S

Totally won't help you because everything is different now, but still going strong with my mid-1980s Maytag top loader with agitator! It cleans, it doesn't damage clothes, large bin, a simple knob/dial that you turn for the controls, and it has never needed repair. A workhorse still chugging along ever so nicely after 30+ years -- and that after doing cloth diapers and clothes for 2 boys who loved to play hard outside. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.