Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Earthmerlin

Car Entertainment For Four Day Ride

I’m driving to Florida with my 10 year old. I’ll break up the drive into 2 days. I need reasonable entertainment options for her. We listen to podcasts, the radio, & audiobooks but I’ll need things that can keep her busy with little to no direction from me. The 2 day return trip will be the same situation. She has a phone & can use it periodically but I honestly want her screen-free most of the drive.

Sticker books didn’t seem to work last time so I’ll pull those again to see if they hit the spot this time but I’m doubtful. She’s highly imaginative & worked well with ‘free form make-it’ materials (for lack of a better term). We have a set of interlocking ‘burrs’ she played with for an eternity. Any suggestions on more ‘you make it’ portable creative kits?

What else can we bring to keep things running smoothly? I’m OK w/ her being bored for a stretch but think she also deserves some fodder for entertainment. 

When I was a kid we often played a game where one of us would say the name of a city or state, then the other would have to say one starting with the last letter of the previous term.

"Arkansas"

"South Carolina"

"Annapolis"

"San Diego"

"Ohio"

"Omaha"

• Like 1

We took a 2.5 day (each way!!) car trip this summer, and the best thing we brought was the audiobook Watership Down from the library.  Everyone got into the epic tale.

• Like 2

Go to the board games section of Target/Wal-Mart and there will be a travel section at the end.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sarahrb said:

We took a 2.5 day (each way!!) car trip this summer, and the best thing we brought was the audiobook Watership Down from the library.  Everyone got into the epic tale.

Thanks for that suggestion & I requested it from the library. I hope it’ll provide us as much entertainment as it did your family!

• Like 1

How about a copy of Wreck This Journal?

Ds9 has a children's version of a book like this: Pixel Pictures, where it's color by number but only squares.  I can't find his exact copy online but his allows you to pick the colors for each number.  It's in our travel kit along with issues of MathMania, interlocking burr toys, a lego lunchbox, and bingo cards. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

How about a copy of Wreck This Journal?

Ds9 has a children's version of a book like this: Pixel Pictures, where it's color by number but only squares.  I can't find his exact copy online but his allows you to pick the colors for each number.  It's in our travel kit along with issues of MathMania, interlocking burr toys, a lego lunchbox, and bingo cards. 

She has ‘Wreck This Journal’ so I’ll be sure to toss it into the car crate. I’ll also look into the MathMania & Lego lunchbox you mentioned. Thanks!

Having a paper map to track progress and mileage markers, and to see what's coming up or what's nearby can be fun. Also, I recommend putting about 1/3 of the items in the bin, and keep the remainder aside. Start day 2 with an-all new selection of items you set aside of your items. On the trip back, mix in a few of the remaining 1/3 "new" things with an assortment of the "already-seen" items on each day. That helps by having a few new "fresh" items each day of travel.

A few more ideas:
- scratch art
- magnetic Tangrams
- Wikki Stik -- or even better: just get a jumbo pack of pipe cleaners -- it doesn't matter if some of them fall or get lost 😉
- logic "slider" puzzles -- no loose pieces
- tangle puzzles
- Etch a Sketch -- classicclassic-minimagnetic Doodle Board, or other variation
- Magic Slate or Boogie Board or Magna Doodle
- Puzzlemania -- "best of" Highlights puzzles activity book
- The Kids Everything Travel Activity Book
- Mad Libs
thumb piano -- lovely sound, even if just "plunking" and not playing a tune -- and it has a fixed volume so it can't drive people too crazy 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Mad Libs were always a hit here.

Don't Let the Pigeon Finish This Activity Book or similar?? Might be too young. I have not seen it IRL.

Adult geometric coloring book and gel pens?

My girl likes to knit so that is always in her bag. She also keeps a blank sketch book handy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, domestic_engineer said:

a giant bag of pipe cleaners

My ds LOVES pipe cleaners!! You could pair it with a book. I'm realizing what a goober I am, that I should go get a book of them for him to work through! 

13 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Mad Libs were always a hit here.

They have history mad libs on amazon, saw them in the sale. Not sure if the sale is still running today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0843180757/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 9:53 AM, Earthmerlin said:

I’m driving to Florida with my 10 year old. I’ll break up the drive into 2 days. I need reasonable entertainment options for her. We listen to podcasts, the radio, & audiobooks but I’ll need things that can keep her busy with little to no direction from me. The 2 day return trip will be the same situation. She has a phone & can use it periodically but I honestly want her screen-free most of the drive.

Sticker books didn’t seem to work last time so I’ll pull those again to see if they hit the spot this time but I’m doubtful. She’s highly imaginative & worked well with ‘free form make-it’ materials (for lack of a better term). We have a set of interlocking ‘burrs’ she played with for an eternity. Any suggestions on more ‘you make it’ portable creative kits?

What else can we bring to keep things running smoothly? I’m OK w/ her being bored for a stretch but think she also deserves some fodder for entertainment. 

Can she pack her own entertainment? That's what I'm asking my kids (ages 8 and 12) to do for our trip to Arizona.  I'll offer suggestions and help along the way. But they are responsible.

Things I expect to see packed:

Stuffed animals

books to read

Coloring pencils and paper to color on

Fidget toys to fiddle with

A puzzle book or two (I'm going to take my son (12 yo) with me to find one on his level and get it for him because otherwise he'd never think of this)

Some DVD/computer time for after it gets dark.

A ball to run around and play with when we stop to stretch.

• Like 1