Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Mom28kds

Is Sonlight W (world history) enough or other ideas

Our World History isn't working because he wants more in depth other that MOH so I'm having to find something else for my 9th grader. He loves History and would like to read more and in depth and watch documentaries instead of trying to memorize facts. He learns so much this way because if he enjoys it, he learns it. I showed him Sonlight and he'd like something like that for World History. I need something that has things laid out for me as well and Sonlight looks like it does that with the Instruction guide. Is it enough? Or do I not worry too much about it being "enough".  I'm definitely open to other things like this. This is my first go around with high school and I don't want to fail my kids. FWIW he works hard but it's hard to stay focused. We needs the basics. He wants to go into the Marines so we need enough to allow him to follow his dreams. He's so smart in History, he floors me with the facts that he knows. That's just a little background. Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Mom28kds

I would personally not consider SL W a high school level course. I see it says grades 7-9, but looking at the list, the spine it uses is A Child's History of the World which is not a high school level text in any way, shape, or form. 

3 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I would personally not consider SL W a high school level course. I see it says grades 7-9, but looking at the list, the spine it uses is A Child's History of the World which is not a high school level text in any way, shape, or form. 

Thank you! That's why I was wondering. But thought others might be able to give me additional input.

Just now, Mom28kds said:

Thank you! That's why I was wondering. But thought others might be able to give me additional input.

What is he most interested in? What are your state reqs and the military recs you need for him to graduate? I'd look at those and then try and craft something that isn't overly complex for you to map out daily assignments, but will check the boxes you need. If you have enough leeway you could do something like The Great Courses American Military History and then find a spine to accompany that. I know around 14, sometimes it's hard to get them going, so that's why I was thinking an interest led history course might be a good thing for 9th, then you can go into more of the drier requirements for 10-12th. 

49 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

What is he most interested in? What are your state reqs and the military recs you need for him to graduate? I'd look at those and then try and craft something that isn't overly complex for you to map out daily assignments, but will check the boxes you need. If you have enough leeway you could do something like The Great Courses American Military History and then find a spine to accompany that. I know around 14, sometimes it's hard to get them going, so that's why I was thinking an interest led history course might be a good thing for 9th, then you can go into more of the drier requirements for 10-12th. 

Yes, he loves History and WW2. I was just looking at The Great Courses and even Great Courses Plus tonight because he enjoys documentaries. He would love that course about American Military History. How would I find a spine? Yes, this year has bombed so far so I'm trying to figure out a new History plan. Thanks for your help :) I'm in Ohio so I believe I can create my own but I want to be sure the Military will accept what he has done. How much do I need to add to the Great Courses? Any idea or does it depend on the course? 

Edited by Mom28kds

The Great Course says it comes with additional reading suggestion, so they might have something. But what I would mainly suggest is starting another thread here and see if someone has already made a similar course and can give you suggestions. Very few of us here have used SL for high school, so that may be lowering the response level. 

I'm going to tag @Lori D. as she always has great ideas and is also a great memory to recall if someone has done something similar before. That way you don't have to reinvent the wheel hopefully! 

On 11/28/2019 at 9:14 PM, Mom28kds said:

Yes, he loves History and WW2. I was just looking at The Great Courses and even Great Courses Plus tonight because he enjoys documentaries. He would love that course about American Military History. How would I find a spine? Yes, this year has bombed so far so I'm trying to figure out a new History plan. Thanks for your help :) I'm in Ohio so I believe I can create my own but I want to be sure the Military will accept what he has done. How much do I need to add to the Great Courses? Any idea or does it depend on the course? 

Every Great Courses class comes with an extensive syllabus that has summaries of the lectures and suggested reading, usually broken down into essential and extras.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

The Great Course says it comes with additional reading suggestion, so they might have something. But what I would mainly suggest is starting another thread here and see if someone has already made a similar course and can give you suggestions. Very few of us here have used SL for high school, so that may be lowering the response level. 

I'm going to tag @Lori D. as she always has great ideas and is also a great memory to recall if someone has done something similar before. That way you don't have to reinvent the wheel hopefully! 

Thank you so much!! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

Every Great Courses class comes with an extensive syllabus that has summaries of the lectures and suggested reading, usually broken down into essential and extras.

Great to know! I just signed up for Great Courses Plus since they are having a Black Friday sale. Hopefully it'll help :)

There were a lot of posts about using W for 9th grade on the Sonlight forums (before they shut down).  If you google it, I bet you will find some blog posts.  I would use it, if you think he would enjoy it and it matches the level he's working at. We've used Cores 100 and 300.  300 could also be considered world history.  My kids learned a TON in 300.  The only thing we didn't like about SL was the writing and the pace of reading.  I ended up using their comprehension questions as writing prompts.  I also had to almost half the reading sometimes, because it moved too quickly.  

• Like 2

On 11/30/2019 at 8:22 AM, Evanthe said:

There were a lot of posts about using W for 9th grade on the Sonlight forums (before they shut down).  If you google it, I bet you will find some blog posts.  I would use it, if you think he would enjoy it and it matches the level he's working at. We've used Cores 100 and 300.  300 could also be considered world history.  My kids learned a TON in 300.  The only thing we didn't like about SL was the writing and the pace of reading.  I ended up using their comprehension questions as writing prompts.  I also had to almost half the reading sometimes, because it moved too quickly.  

300 with the lit added is intense! I personally think it could be a 2 year course. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

300 with the lit added is intense! I personally think it could be a 2 year course. 

We had to cut about a fourth of the books out, because there was no way we could read that fast.  lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evanthe said:

We had to cut about a fourth of the books out, because there was no way we could read that fast.  lol

Yikes! Good to know.