Menu

Anyone else make a lot of non gift purchases this time of year?

Ottakee

I have been spending money like crazy and this next week will likely be more.

I need a new stove and fridge....great sales means buy them now.

My laptop is having major issues....so likely a new laptop too.

Then there are gift certificates for places we regularly go that have buy $50, get $20 bonus, etc.  I buy them for myself.

Kohl's had a great sale on towels I needed, so I ordered those.

The list goes on and on.  This are all things we need, I have budgeted for, and have the money available.  

Does anyone else do this too?

• Like 2

I don't know; it seems like we are constantly spending money. Usually it seems like other than food, we spend less during the holidays. (We are not huge gift-givers.) But I have never had to replace a major appliance or pay for expensive car repairs during the holidays!

• Like 1

Yes!

I've even bought towels this year, too. I got mine slightly less than 1/2 off at Lands End but lots of places put linens on sale at this time of year.

I weeded out my wardrobe and bought replacement pieces on sale over the last two weeks. That might not have been the absolute best bargain timing, but otoh, I got my size in my favorite color at about 1/3 to 1/2 off. That's good enough and now I'm done. Our early cold snap motivated me to get my winter wear done early this year.

I replaced dd's kindle fire. It was 3 years old and starting to have trouble charging. I got a very good deal with their sale and trade-in.

We need to get a new desktop computer and I'd like to update my cell phone so dh is keeping his eye on sales. 

We don't exchange gifts on Christmas anymore because we always travel and it's just too much hassle. We do spend way more during the holiday sales though, because the deals are good and it seems like everything's on sale. 

• Like 1

Not this year. We have impending unemployment at the begging of the year so all those things that seemed essential to buy this time of year because of sales suddenly aren't needed at all. Or at least that is what I keep telling myself.

I will live vicariously through you guys

• Sad 5

Yep, I've had about 20 orders in the last couple of weeks (and during the rest of the year I can go months in between ordering anything) and not a single thing was a Christmas present.  I've got a couple more waiting for tomorrow and then I'll be done (and still won't have bought a present but that's ok, most of my family gets homemade food items and my older kids get gift cards and the younger ones will get whatever i picked up throughout the year on clearance.)  I hate shopping so it's nice to just get all the needed things at a good price and then not have to think about it for another year.

• Like 1

Yes! I tend to buy stuff just because it’s a good deal this time of year (hand soap, candles, towels, hair products, pjs, etc). This year I’m really wanting to buy that Breville Smart Oven. It’s normally $400 and Williams Sonoma has it for $349. I *think* that’s the best price it will be. I’d also really like to get the Dupray steam cleaner. I need a new one and it’s a good price it seems. Thanks a lot @Spy Car and @Æthelthryth the Texan 😉😂

Edited by mmasc

So far we have the stove picked out....50% off....the nice upgraded one with a huge griddle.  Had it at our old house and miss it greatly.

Then da has convinced me to go for the GOOD fridge...French door whirlpool that is 42% off.   But both and get another $50 off.

I have been waiting months for this deal.

I also got a small air compressor for ds and the towel sets for dd's new bathroom.

Tomorrow will be a tuft and needle mattress for dd, a roku, and 50% off ferry tickets for Mackinac Island for next summer.

It seems like sooo much, but I have saved for over a year for some of these things and the prices are too good to pass up.

Still undecided on a new iPad for dd (she has gift money saved up for one) and/or a new lap top for me.

• Like 2

Dd17 will be going to college next year, so we bought her luggage and towels.  Somehow we don't have any coats that fit the two littlest girls (really, I don't know how this is even possible), but I was able to get them at 75 percent off.  I bought myself a bunch of clothes for dh to give me for Christmas. (this is a win-win.  I like to shop and he doesn't.  He doesn't usually get the right size or color or... It is so much easier to pick out my own gifts.)

8 hours ago, Plum said:

My husband buys video games for him and all 3 kids and there’s a bunch on sale right now. He bought 3 full price on Steam only to have them go 40% off the next day. Grrrrrr 

We are hosting Christmas and we need a new dining set. Our chairs are wobbly and uncomfortable.

I’ve been working on decorating for Christmas. This is the first year ever I’ve started decorating before Thanksgiving. My step-mother gave me all of her Dept 56 North Pole series village decorations and I couldn’t wait to get them out.  

I’ve been on the lookout for a sale on towels. Dh is super picky about bedsheets and towels. Apparently, Turkish towels are the best? All I’ve ever found in stores is Egyptian cotton. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Dh just bought some games on steam for himself and ds19.  

3 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Dh does. Unfortunately "Mr. Hard-to-Buy-For" ends up getting himself at least one thing that would have been a good present! I don't know why he does it; I swear it isn't intentional, but it seems to happen every year. 

Mine does, too. He buys whatever he likes for himself, and then I'm left scrambling to find something to give him, (which is why MIL infuriates me when she buys him the same dang thing!).

I told him if he didn't give me some solid gift ideas asap, he was getting underwear. 

14 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Not this year. We have impending unemployment at the begging of the year so all those things that seemed essential to buy this time of year because of sales suddenly aren't needed at all. Or at least that is what I keep telling myself.

I will live vicariously through you guys

I’m so sorry to hear that. I was hoping your husband would get the university job.

I do. Clothes, shoes, kitchen stuff. I like to have a candle going in my kitchen most of the time so I usually buy a bunch with a kohl’s deal. For us the weather turns from summer like to fall to winter all in late Oct-Nov so the timing also coincides with realizing we have colder weather needs to fill in. We host Thanksgiving so there is usually something needed for that (this year I bought more knives). We needed a new Christmas tree so I bought one of those the other day. 

Just so many needs. Also, my dh takes off some time at the end of the year when he has vacation days he can’t carry over so just him being around means we have a handyman scheduled or he is doing some odd jobs himself around the house. 

I am not shopping this weekend but I do feel like I wake up and bleed money all day.

We also have been getting estimates for new siding and doors so while that is not a yearly thing it is such a big purchase for us it is stressful. Oh and dd has braces going on next week. Ugh. 

16 hours ago, mmasc said:

Yes! I tend to buy stuff just because it’s a good deal this time of year (hand soap, candles, towels, hair products, pjs, etc). This year I’m really wanting to buy that Breville Smart Oven. It’s normally $400 and Williams Sonoma has it for $349. I *think* that’s the best price it will be. I’d also really like to get the Dupray steam cleaner. I need a new one and it’s a good price it seems. Thanks a lot @Spy Car and @Æthelthryth the Texan 😉😂

It's $350 on Amazon right now with an $85 off coupon so a total of about $270. I just picked it up. 😊

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mmasc said:

@MeaganSThat’s a great price! Where’s the coupon??? I don’t see it!

I don't see it now! Wow, that was fast. I hope it comes back. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Breville-BOV900BSS-Convection-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B01N5UPTZS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?hasWorkingJavascript=1&keywords=breville+smart+oven+air&qid=1575035393&sprefix=Breville+s&sr=8-3

Eta: Wait, when I search on Amazon for it I can see the coupon in the description before clicking. Maybe it doesn't show for me since I already used it? 

Edited by MeaganS
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MeaganS said:

I don't see it now! Wow, that was fast. I hope it comes back. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Breville-BOV900BSS-Convection-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B01N5UPTZS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?hasWorkingJavascript=1&keywords=breville+smart+oven+air&qid=1575035393&sprefix=Breville+s&sr=8-3

Eta: Wait, when I search on Amazon for it I can see the coupon in the description before clicking. Maybe it doesn't show for me since I already used it? 

That worked! Thank you so much! Just bought one. Woo-hoo! My first toaster oven. 😁

• Like 1

I finally convinced dh we needed to buy a dishwasher.  Ours broke about a year ago and we've just been using it as a drying rack after hand-washing the dishes.   I'm sick of hand-washing dishes and I'm going to teach the kids to load the dishwasher.  I was reluctant to have them wash because I actually want them clean.

We're also getting a new stove.  We still have the one dh put in when he first bought the house, so 20 years ago.  It's gas and the automatic starters no longer work, you have to light them with a grill lighter.  Plus gas is leaking out the side of one of the burners.  So definitely time for that. 

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

I finally convinced dh we needed to buy a dishwasher.  Ours broke about a year ago and we've just been using it as a drying rack after hand-washing the dishes.   I'm sick of hand-washing dishes and I'm going to teach the kids to load the dishwasher.  I was reluctant to have them wash because I actually want them clean.

We're also getting a new stove.  We still have the one dh put in when he first bought the house, so 20 years ago.  It's gas and the automatic starters no longer work, you have to light them with a grill lighter.  Plus gas is leaking out the side of one of the burners.  So definitely time for that. 

For a gas range, check out the GE Adora   I LOVED mine at my old house.  Miss it so much that we are ordering another one today for my new house.  The center griddle is awesome and super easy to clean.  You can buy a center grate and a cast iron griddle for it as well.

For dishwashers, I recently got a Bosch one with a 3rd rack way at the top.  I can honestly say that I wish I had saved the money and gone without that extra rack.  It makes it shorter for the cup area and I rarely use it.  In theory it is nice, but reality is, the kids aren't going to open up yet another rack and carefully put their silverware up there.  The baskets are much more user friendly.

Home depot has extra savings this weekend as well if you buy 2 or more appliances.

1 minute ago, Ottakee said:

I fell to the pressure of the HIVE as well and just ordered one for my daughter's kitchenette.

I feel confident we’ve made good purchases with this one. 😊

I’ve bought many (many!) things because of the hive. Just in the past week, a Breville Smart Pro and $90 worth of popcorn from Maryland. 😳😂

Yes and no.... I bought some books this morning where I was waiting for a sale, but with an honest inventory of my home, there is nothing we need right now.  

We have pre-agreed gifts/meal/holiday shopping between me and my husband, have decided to mainly go to "one main gift" per child and split it up between the 4 bi-weekly pay periods before Christmas.  We have been doing this together.  

Pretty disappointing to me honestly, though very sensible.... my husband thought I did too much "sale" shopping last year.  He also wants to be able to pick some things last-minute if we decide to, so we are leaving that open.  

We are also moving soon so it is not a good time for us to buy ahead!!!!!!!!!!

Yes and no. I purchased some cheer shoes and makeup for for DD. Now that she's committed to more than one season, I was good with that. I want her to stay out of my stuff too so this was largely self-serving. I bought DH a new laptop because his sucks and is on its last legs. DH bought DD AirPods and a new backpack b/c the dog chewed hers up in retaliation (long story). DS is getting an experience but not in the traditional sense. He is very into jazz these days so we got him an old-style record player and some classic vinyl recordings of Ella, Duke, Miles and Billy (no last names necessary). For family gifts, we went to see Fiddler on the Roof and Frozen II. We will see the final Star Wars when it comes out too. We see a show and some movies every year. DH is gifting me tickets to Hamilton and a New Year's trip to DC. We had tickets to see it this summer but couldn't make it. My Mom and sister are getting matching jammies and bath sets. They live together and are traveling to see us for Christmas. That's it. That's all. No extras. DH is convinced we will need a new w/d in the next year (ours are 15 years old) so we are bracing for that too.

Edited by Sneezyone

13 hours ago, Frances said:

I’m so sorry to hear that. I was hoping your husband would get the university job.

Thanks. He was their second choice. He's got a bunch of other applications into the same University, different departments, so we're still hopeful. He's also applied for many other jobs. A job will come.

• Like 1