Menu

Khan Academy Physics...question from a new user.

we have never really used Khan Academy but I have heard good things about it....so I wanted to try and supplement my son's physics.  But I have a question.....we were looking through the lessons...and I noticed that once we got past the first couple lessons the practice questions and the quizzes weren't part of the lesson.  Is that normal?  Why would that be? I would love to know if my son was understanding the videos.  Am I missing something ?  thanks.

I'm sorry. I'm no help on the Khan questions, but you aren't trying to supplement DO physics, are you? Because that's insane. (Again, sorry. I should probably soften that. But I won't. Because, that's really crazy.)

If there is something he doesn't understand after watching DO's videos, have him email DO with his questions. DO will make more videos to help. If you are having a problem with his stuff, DO will call & try to help. That's what you are paying for. And DO is crazy helpful.

Plus, adding any more work on top of DO is ... more crazy talk. (I think I need to get some sleep because I seem to be stuck in a loop.)

Unless I misunderstood & you are bailing on DO (which is more  understandable than supplementing) & just trying to get 'er done.

Anyway, hope someone can answer your questions.

you are right RootAnn....supplementing DO is insane....we have dropped that...there was no way that he was going to have the time to ask DO every question he had, wait for an answer, watch more videos, possibly ask more questions and try to get through the entire program by May.  (Summer school doesn't work for us for many reasons).  

So, yes, I am actually just trying to find something to get'er done and maybe add something else to Khan to make it a true program....(unless Khan would suffice...which I also don't know)...but if there is no way to test my son using Khan (which was my initial question), I will need to add something else. 

UGH!  He has to take physics for requirements for his college. 

I don't think we can get this finished by May....it says it take 27 weeks and that is without struggles...and I highly doubt we can go through physics without struggles...I don't know what to do anymore...I am really frustrated...as is my son...thanks for the idea....I will look at it a bit more.  I also can't keep sinking money into programs that don't work....I have literally wasted about $150 so far and have nothing to show for it. 

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

Is he doing the regular Physics on Khan or the AP physics ones? Is it possible the quizzes & practice problems show up when you've activated more videos? (No idea.)

that was my question...would more show up as he went forward....I just didn't know.  I just didn't want him to get 3-4 lessons in (with quizzes) and then find out that there were no more quizzes.  And to my knowledge, there is nobody on Khan that I can ask that question. 

Thanks for the other link.  I will check it out. 

7 hours ago, gstharr said:

Any experience with Physic C. I am waffling between Physic Prep and Thinkwell College Physics 1. thanks

No, I don’t. I just know they are affordable and self paced. He also teaches at PAH but that's considerably more money. 

To the OP - what about just picking up a textbook and skipping over the topics already covered by DO? You can pace the textbook yourself and decide which topics to cover (physics 1 only does mechanics, so you can chose to do that). 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2019 at 1:39 PM, Roadrunner said:

No, I don’t. I just know they are affordable and self paced. He also teaches at PAH but that's considerably more money. 

To the OP - what about just picking up a textbook and skipping over the topics already covered by DO? You can pace the textbook yourself and decide which topics to cover (physics 1 only does mechanics, so you can chose to do that). 

PhysicPrep.com seem like a real bargain.  It is the core material of PA Homeschoolers, but without the live lectures. Its site spells out the linkage.  https://www.physics-prep.com/

• Like 1