Menu

here we go again...

Noreen Claire

I have to sign DS10 up for spring soccer by this Sunday. Never mind for the moment that soccer doesn't start for 5+ months... but, in order to complete the paperwork I have to provide "grade verification", as in what grade DS is currently in. They give very explicit instructions on how to log-on to the public school Infinite Campus system and print out a verification form. I can't do that, as DS10 hasn't attended since 1st grade. When I was trying to sign him up for last fall, I had to provide a copy of his end-of-year progress report for 4th grade (which didn't actually mention that he was "in" 4th grade). I have NO official paperwork saying that he's in 5th grade.

I just sent the lady who is in charge of registrations an email, asking her how I can fulfill the requirement. Let the go-around begin! *sigh*

Maybe they'll accept it since last year was fourth grade and it follows logically that he would be in fifth grade this year. 

I hate leagues that base it on grades rather than on ages.  Our soccer league did grades just one year.  One of my littles was on a team and was playing against kids that were a full three years older because of people holding kids back and repeating grades.  The size differences really made it downright dangerous.  The next year they went back to ages.  

One year our baseball league made a big deal that all parents had to provide birth certificates at registration.  No problem except that I had never gotten physical copies from the county so I spent an afternoon getting them (I think had to get 4 of them and it took extra time because somehow on one of them we had spelled my husbands middle name wrong and had to get it corrected), spent about $40  in fees and took them in for the registration night only to be told, "Oh, we don't need them for YOUR kids.  Your kids have played in this league forever.  We just are looking at them for new players!".  Grrrr . . . .   

I know I needed to have them on hand, but it wasn't the best timing that week.

Edited by JanOH
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PeachyDoodle said:

And who does spring sign-ups before Christmas??

This is really aggravating! Having to pay for it so early, and right before Christmas! Also, it's only for grades 3+, as I don't need to sign up my kindergartner until the end of March. 😒

Weirdly, they do go by age *first*, and then by grade? There is overlap in age/grade combos... Technically, DS10 is born in 3/2009, so he could be in either G4 or G6 based on his grade in school. Weird.

G4: Eligible Ages - Born 1/1/2009 thru 8/31/2011 AND in either Grade 3 or 4 at the beginning of September 2019

G6: Eligible Ages Fall 2019 - Born 1/1/2007 thru 8/31/2009 AND in either Grade 5 or 6 at the beginning of September 2019

Edited by Noreen Claire

2 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

Sorry about the font size- posting from my phone!

When you paste something let it sit there for a second and a box should show up that says paste as plain text and you need hit that.

Good luck on the soccer thing. I guess I won't put my kids in soccer!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

When you paste something let it sit there for a second and a box should show up that says paste as plain text and you need hit that.

Good luck on the soccer thing. I guess I won't put my kids in soccer!

Not every soccer is like that.

For my daughter's rec team, it is birthday only (And they haven't asked for birth certificate)

they do have sign ups open now. But you don't HAVE to sign up now.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Not every soccer is like that.

For my daughter's rec team, it is birthday only (And they haven't asked for birth certificate)

they do have sign ups open now. But you don't HAVE to sign up now.

I was trying to be funny. Sorry. I should have made a face. I'm tired. I just wanted to reply to the text thingy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2019 at 8:18 PM, whitehawk said:

Ugggh, that's ridiculous. Date of birth should be all they need for kids under 7th grade.

I'm going to sign DS up for spring track next week, but the one we have here is not expensive.

The league our club participates in determines eligibility- usually either birthday range or grade level.  In our lacrosse club (our soccer club goes by bdates) girls goes by grade level and boys by birthday.  Going by birthday causes an issue when kids start school at an older age because they can end up not being eligible to play at some point because they age out sooner than the kids in the set age range.  They have an advantage early on because they can start playing earlier than the other kids in the same grade. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 1:36 PM, Noreen Claire said:

I have to sign DS10 up for spring soccer by this Sunday. Never mind for the moment that soccer doesn't start for 5+ months... but, in order to complete the paperwork I have to provide "grade verification", as in what grade DS is currently in. They give very explicit instructions on how to log-on to the public school Infinite Campus system and print out a verification form. I can't do that, as DS10 hasn't attended since 1st grade. When I was trying to sign him up for last fall, I had to provide a copy of his end-of-year progress report for 4th grade (which didn't actually mention that he was "in" 4th grade). I have NO official paperwork saying that he's in 5th grade.

I just sent the lady who is in charge of registrations an email, asking her how I can fulfill the requirement. Let the go-around begin! *sigh*

I'm sorry for the requirements.  I was a registrar for a community youth soccer group for a couple years.  It's a rough job honestly.  Many times, the mandates are not set by the registrar but by a larger organization or the overall board.  The reason is multi-fold - understanding the numbers, needs for volunteers, teachers, etc.

The age/grade thing is (or at least back in the day) was important.  The divisions are fairly strict and not set by the registrar either.  We needed proof too.  It was a lot to juggle.  ((((Hugs))))

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

The age/grade thing is (or at least back in the day) was important.  The divisions are fairly strict and not set by the registrar either.  

Do you know why grade level is part of it? We do strictly ages around here, which is obviously important for fairness and safety. But I can't see why grade level comes into it. It seems a shame to not let kids who suck at school play community ball if there's no solid reason, lol. The youth league is restricted to 17 and below here, so that doesn't doesn't come into it. When you are 18, you can move to an adult league, it doesn't matter if you have graduated or not. 

• Like 1

I like it when it is by grade.  My son is young for his grade (late august birthday) and some places we have lived he was able to play with his grade and other places it was by age. When he played by age he was the very oldest and sometimes didn't have the opportunity to stretch his skill.  Which became an issue when he was in middle school - he was playing on the younger teams while his classmates were playing on the older teams and were more prepared to play in high school, where, guess what? soccer generally by grade and you are often playing older players!  We chose not to do travel teams, so we really wanted those rec leagues to build his skill and not just be for fun.  

We move a lot and have seen both options.  My favorite is when there's a choice - by grade or by age. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Many times, the mandates are not set by the registrar but by a larger organization or the overall board

This year, our local soccer org has joined a new umbrella organization, so things are all different. The older kids have to register in December, the younger kids not until March!