Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Mom0012

How would you handle this — college app problem

Recommended Posts

Well, that is frustrating! It sounds like something fell through the cracks at the college. Is the remaining item that isn't checked something that was sent to the college? If it is something that was mailed via US Post Office, perhaps it got lost. Or, perhaps like the problem we experienced this year, the address provided by the College Board to send a CLEP transcript was simply flat out the wrong address, so of course the university never received it and we had to pay to resend it using the correct address that I got from calling the university! If the admissions counselor isn't responding, check to make sure she or he still works there -- the staff in Admissions changes more frequently than some other jobs. Other than that, ask to talk to the manager or director of Admissions (and/ or email them) due to the impending deadline. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have her call on Monday. If the item was submitted on time, they shouldn't have a problem. Likely, they are just behind on getting things checked off.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess she will give it one last shot on Monday and then if it doesn’t work out we’ll just let it go and assume this college was not meant to be for her. 

Edited by Mom0012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

I guess she will give it one last shot on Monday and then if it doesn’t work out we’ll just let it go and assume this college was not meant to be for her. 

When she calls again, I would explain how many times she has tried to contact both admissions counselors with no response or in adequate response, and explain that she really wants to get her application in and isn’t there someon when she calls again, I would explain how many times she has tried to contact both admissions counselors with no response or in adequate response, and explain that she really wants to get her application in and isn’t there someone who can help her? Sometimes I have found that you just have to explain a bit more how no one else has been able to help for someone to take the needed action. I hope things work out for her!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She needs to call rather than e mail. Make sure she leaves specific messages about the problem with multiple people if necessary. My daughters hate to call!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MerryAtHope said:

When she calls again, I would explain how many times she has tried to contact both admissions counselors with no response or in adequate response, and explain that she really wants to get her application in and isn’t there someon when she calls again, I would explain how many times she has tried to contact both admissions counselors with no response or in adequate response, and explain that she really wants to get her application in and isn’t there someone who can help her? Sometimes I have found that you just have to explain a bit more how no one else has been able to help for someone to take the needed action. I hope things work out for her!

We’ve written up an email explaining all her efforts to get her test score included. In the past, we’ve tried to be brief because the admissions people are clearly overwhelmed, but this time she is explaining the situation more fully. Every other school has been great and easy to deal with. This particular one is still setting up barriers for homeschoolers but then doesn’t have a way for the student to get the extra info into their file.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GoodGrief1 said:

She needs to call rather than e mail. Make sure she leaves specific messages about the problem with multiple people if necessary. My daughters hate to call!

So does mine. I’m not sure if I’ll get her to call and I am betting she will not get through to the person she needs to talk to even if she does. Plus, we’re dealing with a young admissions counselor here and I bet she hates to talk on the phone too.

But, I’m thinking she will email the admissions counselor Monday morning and then I’ll try to get her to call if she doesn’t get a response by the afternoon, which is highly unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, what makes the most sense here? Wait to email until Monday morning? Call Monday morning? I’m thinking the admissions counselor is going to be in a poor mood Monday morning after a holiday weekend.

I think my dd can more easily outline the lengths she’s gone to get this info to them in an email, but it will likely take a couple of days to get a response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The school is on break for Thanksgiving break, but I wonder if the admins will be working on Friday since the deadline is Saturday? Maybe she could email tomorrow morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have her call. Keep asking to be transferred until she gets to someone who can help. Email is clearly not working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is she using as the subject line for the email? 

My DS had a required supplement for a school as a homeschooler and they had a specific way they wanted the subject line in order to deal with it/match it to his file.

It was DS "last name, first name, homeschool applicant additional essay"

So maybe for you do something like her Last name, first name homeschool applicant required whatever.

Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2019 at 3:28 PM, mom1720 said:

What is she using as the subject line for the email? 

My DS had a required supplement for a school as a homeschooler and they had a specific way they wanted the subject line in order to deal with it/match it to his file.

It was DS "last name, first name, homeschool applicant additional essay"

So maybe for you do something like her Last name, first name homeschool applicant required whatever.

Just a thought.

She’s using the right subject line. I’ve seen everything she’s sent and she’s reaching the right person.

Edited by Mom0012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, daijobu said:

Is the school remote to you?  Can you and your student appear in person at the office?


Honestly, I’d probably be willing to do that, but my dd isn’t going to go for that. We’ll definitely try calling on Monday, though if there is no change in the status of her app by then. And I’m sure there won’t be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not go in person.

I would have your dd send a clear but concise email AND follow up with a phone call on Monday.  Coach her through what needs to happen in the phone call so that she has thought through how to ask for the right person, how to explain what she is seeing and how she has tried to address it, and how to ask for what she wants to have happen.  Being a bit uncomfortable with this type of call is totally normal, but I really think that a call is necessary given what you've said about having sent multiple emails.  You could even roll play this a couple times.  (I've sometimes made up brief "talking points" when I had an important call to make.)

It is likely that it's a matter of paperwork not getting downloaded or not getting synced up with her application.  This can take several days.  The email is a dated record that she tried to meet the requirements.  The phone call shows her grit in ensuring that it gets taken care of.  It's also an important adult skill that will get easier with practice; so she might as well start now.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I would not go in person.

I would have your dd send a clear but concise email AND follow up with a phone call on Monday.  Coach her through what needs to happen in the phone call so that she has thought through how to ask for the right person, how to explain what she is seeing and how she has tried to address it, and how to ask for what she wants to have happen.  Being a bit uncomfortable with this type of call is totally normal, but I really think that a call is necessary given what you've said about having sent multiple emails.  You could even roll play this a couple times.  (I've sometimes made up brief "talking points" when I had an important call to make.)

It is likely that it's a matter of paperwork not getting downloaded or not getting synced up with her application.  This can take several days.  The email is a dated record that she tried to meet the requirements.  The phone call shows her grit in ensuring that it gets taken care of.  It's also an important adult skill that will get easier with practice; so she might as well start now.

Email has been sent and she’ll call tomorrow. She can handle the call. She’d rather not, mostly because she already feels like she’s harassed this lady, but she can do it. And then that’s it. We’re done and moving on. 🙂 Thanks for the suggestions.

 

Edited by Mom0012
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

Email has been sent and she’ll call tomorrow. She can handle the call. She’d rather not, mostly because she already feels like she’s harassed this lady, but she can do it. And then that’s it. We’re done and moving on. 🙂 Thanks for the suggestions.

 

 

Squeaky wheels are annoying, but they are the ones who get results.   I suspect the lady doesn't feel as "harassed" as your dd thinks she does.  

Another way to look at it is if you paid a feel to apply to the college, you are paying for some minimal level of service: to acknowledge with accuracy when your application is complete.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daijobu said:

 

Squeaky wheels are annoying, but they are the ones who get results.   I suspect the lady doesn't feel as "harassed" as your dd thinks she does.  

Another way to look at it is if you paid a feel to apply to the college, you are paying for some minimal level of service: to acknowledge with accuracy when your application is complete.

Yes, you are right. I guess we’ve been afraid to push too much since this lady will play a large role in deciding whether my dd is admitted or not. But that was probably a mistake. I’ll update tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally resolved! Email alone did it, but she had planned on calling if she didn’t hear back. I guess they were basically too swamped to review it prior to today. Anyway, her application is complete and now we don’t have to worry about this any more. Thanks!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...