Menu

Food Processors

I have a Cuisinart I bought in 2000. It’s lovely and functional. It no longer lives at our main house. 

At the main house I have a new Cuisinart that I bought at Costco. It has a ton of attachments, each one more problematic than the last. Food gets stuck under the blade, around the mid bowl seam, along the top. It is a nightmare to use. It does not seem to do anything well and the parts are junky. 

If I purchase a Cuisinart at a cooking store will it be higher quality?  Is there a better brand?  I’m willing to pay more if the quality is actually better. 

• Like 1

The newish Cuisineart that I like even more than my old, reliable one is the one designed with Chuck Williams and originally available only through Williams Sonoma, in which there are two or three bowls and they nest together, meaning that you essentially have 2 or 3 food processors in one.  I never thought a new shiny one would knock my old one's socks off, but this one did.  Highly recommended.

11 hours ago, happi duck said:

At Williams Sonoma I was told that if I like my old Cuisinart then what I want now is a, iirc, Magimix.  At some point Cuisinart changed.  I can't remember exactly how.  I plan to ask again at the store when I'm ready to replace.

I won a Magimax in a blog contest several years ago, and when I saw how pricey they were I said that I'd NEVER replace the thing if it broke. Then I started using it. And now I would save up my pennies to get another one.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lostinabook said:

I won a Magimax in a blog contest several years ago, and when I saw how pricey they were I said that I'd NEVER replace the thing if it broke. Then I started using it. And now I would save up my pennies to get another one.

Thanks for posting this!  I appreciate the btdt.  I had decided to limp along and save up for the Magimax.  Seems like I'm on the right track!

What a nice prize you won!

• Like 1

This is more or less the one I have:  https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-elite-die-cast-16-cup-food-processor-2014/?pkey=cfood-processors&isx=0.0.680

What I love about it:

1.  It has a huge food bowl but it also has a little one that is nested in the big one, so I can use it for the biggest jobs but also for small batches of things like pesto.

2.  It has a retractable electric cord, no muss no fuss

3.  It has a single shredding disk that is reversible--one side for fine grating and the other for coarse.

4.  The slicing disk is adjustable for thickness, so I don't have to have an array of them.

5.  All the attachments are in a single, compact case with a cover.  No loose or dusty blades anymore.

These are all improvements over the old tried and true design that I really appreciate.  The large bowl is especially nice.  I don't know what size my old workhorse is, maybe 8 cups, but all I know is it looked HUGE when I bought it and it's tiny to me now.  I don't have to process soups or grate cheese in batches anymore.  It is so much more convenient.

On 11/27/2019 at 12:03 AM, Caraway said:

I have a Cuisinart I bought in 2000. It’s lovely and functional. It no longer lives at our main house. 

At the main house I have a new Cuisinart that I bought at Costco. It has a ton of attachments, each one more problematic than the last. Food gets stuck under the blade, around the mid bowl seam, along the top. It is a nightmare to use. It does not seem to do anything well and the parts are junky. 

If I purchase a Cuisinart at a cooking store will it be higher quality?  Is there a better brand?  I’m willing to pay more if the quality is actually better. 

So interesting.  I bought mine maybe around 1995 give or take.  It's been a MACHINE!  It's great.  Nice and heavy.  Not cheap parts.  I pulled it out Wed before Thanksgiving to use and it wouldn't work after about 25 years.  I thought oh no, this can't be.  Well, I found out later it still works, I think.  The lid does not "lock" in to place now.  I'm wondering if I should see if I can find the lid on-line somewhere and fix it that way.  I hate to throw it out and buy new but if I do I'll consider one of the recommendations above.  

OTOH, I bought a Vitamix a few years ago and may not really have the need for the food processor anyway.    ???