Menu

recommendations for an internet blocker for an iPad

I am after a selective internet blocker for the twins iPads. They need the internet to be able to do reading eggs, So I cannot just turn off the internet. But one twin is then downloading games from iTunes , checking out YouTube and yesterday trying to set up an amazon account to by Lego ( he doesn't understand about needing MONEY to do this yet lucky).

My Dd tried to put various things on  that will require a password to get anything from iTunes - it worked for about a week.  the games from iTunes are the ones that are a free trial game of the day type things. - Whatever first comes up at the appstore.

all suggestions and advice most gratefully received

🙂 

You can set days/times for screen time. If you set the iPad up on a different iCloud account and add them as family, with you/DH’s device and account as the guardian account, you can control it from there. 
One of the settings is to require a password to buy/download anything from the App Store, every time 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I think that what you want is Guided Access, which basically locks a kid into a specific app.  

You set up the iPad, under accessibility features, so that when you triple click the home key, and then they can't leave that app without a password.  But when you want to switch them to something else, or use it yourself, you just triple click again,  enter the password, and then it's a regular iPad.

You can also gray out areas of the screen if there's a function you don't want them to use.  So, I might set up a kid to do something on the internet, and then gray out the search bar, so they are both stuck in the Safari or Chrome app (e.g. can't go to YouTube) and stuck on the page, or other pages that are linked to that page, that I want them to be on, because they can't search/navigate. 

I don't have my iPad, and I'd need it to remember how to do it to talk you through, so let me know if that sounds right to you.

this is exactly what I am after. 

if you could guide me through the process I would be eternally grateful; 🙂 

• Like 1

Ok.  I followed the very helpful demo. I have set it up for guided access. We will trial it this afternoon - meaning I will get twin 1 to do some reading eggs and see if he accesses the internet.  It is his latest fixation. He can be very observant and I don't think it will take him long to see the triple click.

5 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

That is very cool!  I have done some of that training myself.  I hope you enjoy it, and find it useful.

I am mostly enjoying it, though it is a bit tedious. I struggle a bit remembering all the correct terminology .   I am doing it in a hope to find some suggestions of new things to help with the twins behaviours. So far I am getting positive reinforcements that I am mostly on the right track. Always nice to know that I am doing generally the right thing

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

But you set a code he couldn't see right?  My students generally get the triple click right away, but after putting in the wrong code a few too many times, they give up.

that is good to know . The giving up part. Thank you.  you are so encouraging, I am so glad you found this forum. I have learned a lot from you  🙂 

If you are accessing reading eggs through an app, you can just turn off safari through screen time right before you give the iPad to them.  The apps still work but they can’t go to YouTube if you don’t have YouTube as an app on your iPad, and they can’t search the internet.  The apps still have access to the internet when Safari is turned off.

That’s what I do.  You can still access YouTube through safari pretty easily when you have safari turned back on.

I can not rely on my husband to do this so I changed the iPad passcode to something he doesn't know. 

They do still have access to other apps though. I use guided access if I want to lock them into one specific app.

i need to figure out the ability to “gray out” the search bar on Safari since my son asked for Beast Academy online and it isn’t accessible though an app. You have to go through Safari.

• Like 1