Menu

Favorite not-too-complicated pumpkin pie recipe?

Just Kate

2 minutes ago, FriedClams said:

Apple pie. Pillsbury crust with loads of fresh apples, some cinnamon sugar (I just shake it on top), dabs of butter. Easy and not gross like pumpkin. 🦃😂

Funny how we all have such different tastes.  I've never met an apple pie worth eating in my life.  I've tried so many that people raved about but just no.  But I'll eat any pumpkin, squash, sweet potato pie made with the Libby recipe.  I'm also not very fond of the premade crusts,  they are too thick in my opinion.  (of course, I'd be just as happy eating only the filling from most any kid of pie,  apparently I'm not much of a crust person either).

• Like 1

I've made lots of different pumpkin pies. The basic, classic recipe from Libby's is still my family's favorite.  And it is dead simple.

I make my own pie crust now but for years used ready-made crusts. They were always fine too! 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

My family is not that into pumpkin pie, with the exception my my dh. Normally someone just brings a store bought pie and dh is fine with it. This year, I thought I’d make one for him, but I’ve seen a few different recipes. Any favorites?

This is the only one my family likes .  Everything else is too bland.🙂

https://clickamericana.com/recipes/dessert-recipes/carnations-famous-pumpkin-pie-1959

We get an organic canned pumpkin brand, but same as others are saying, we follow the can recipe.  Also prepared frozen pie shells have worked.

My experience with starting with real pumpkin is it is so different in consistency and wetness pumpkins to pumpkin that it is hard to get consistent pie results.  However we had had success from home done she’ll and pumpkin using my son’s Step by Step cookbook and Joy of Cooking recipes.  

I am gluten and sugar etc free, so I won’t personally. But I’ll have the easy stuff on hand for those who wish to.  

I may try for Keto pumpkin crustless pie in instant pot instead for myself... 

we have a great pumpkin pie recipe.  it's easy. (it's not the one on the libby's can.)  1dd's bringing four . . . . but Friday morning breakfast is traditionally - pie.

PUMPKIN PIE

Ingredients – 2 Pies                                              Ingredients – 1 Pie

4    Eggs, lightly beaten                                                  2    Eggs, lightly beaten

29-30 oz. Canned Pumpkin                                             15 oz. Canned Pumpkin

1.5 Cups Sugar                                                                3/4 Cups Sugar

1    Teaspoon Allspice                                                    1/2 Teaspoon Allspice

1/2 Teaspoon Cloves                                                      1/4 Teaspoon Cloves

1    Tablespoon Cinnamon                                            1.5 Teaspoons Cinnamon

1    Teaspoon Ginger                                                       1/2 Teaspoon Ginger

1    Teaspoon Salt                                                            1/2 Teaspoon Salt

2    12oz. Cans of Evaporated Milk                                               1 12oz. Can of Evaporated Milk

Instructions

Beat eggs lightly. Add all remaining ingredients except for one can (1/2 can for one pie) of evaporated milk. Mix for 1-2 minutes and then add remaining can (1/2 can) of evaporated milk and mix until mixture is all combined and smooth. Pour into pie pans and bake for 25 minutes at 425 degrees then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 35 minutes. Filling should not jiggle when pie is lightly shaken.

8 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

we have a great pumpkin pie recipe.  it's easy. (it's not the one on the libby's can.)  1dd's bringing four . . . . but Friday morning breakfast is traditionally - pie.

LOL, that's the Libby one but with the higher spice amounts from the Carnation one, from what I can tell. 

The two can recipes are virtually the same except one has a bit more sugar and spices (Carnation). 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

LOL, that's the Libby one but with the higher spice amounts from the Carnation one, from what I can tell. 

The two can recipes are virtually the same except one has a bit more sugar and spices (Carnation). 

dh made the spice adjustments himself - we've never looked at the carnation one.

Buy the Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts near the cookie dough. (Comes in  a red box...you unroll the crust.)  Use the recipe on the back of the Libby's pumpkin. (I prefer the plain pumpkin one...where you add your own spices.)

Serve with whipped cream and vanilla ice cream. :)

Edited by umsami

Another Libby's canned pumpkin fan, who uses the recipe on the label.

I slightly adapt by:
- using all brown sugar rather than any white sugar
- increase the amount of the spices (I have been known to go as much as double on them all!) -- plus add allspice
- either buy a pre-made crust from the freezer section of the grocery store, or even better, -- go crustless! -- just grease a glass pie pan and pour the custard straight in and bake -- yum! we've been going that route now for several years, and no one misses the crust -- half the time, people just scraped the pie off the crust and threw out the crust...

ETA -- ick -- NO -- about using the "Libby pumpkin pie mix" with all the spices and ingredients already added -- too sweet, and doesn't taste right for US. JMO!

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

My mom used to have a pumpkin pie recipe written on an index card. I can visualize the card and her handwriting but it was one we never found when she died. I'm making pies this year and I just decided to use the Libby's recipe since I can't make my mom's. I am so glad to see all the positive reviews for it. I literally just walked in from the store where I purchased the ingredients. I was thinking about searching recipes but you just convinced me to stick with the Libby's recipe. Thanks! 🙂

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

All of you people who are amping up the spices on the Libby's recipe should really try the old 50's Carnation recipe.  The increased cinnamon and cloves and the addition of nutmeg and allspice make all the difference.  

The Carnation recipe uses more sugar. than the Libby's recipe. I prefer less sugar. Also, I prefer brown sugar to the white sugar that is in both the Carnation and the Libby's recipes. And, I already increase the spices and add additional spices. Also, I make it crustless -- just delicious pumpkin custard in the glass pie pan! So, I'm good. But thanks! 🙂 

Edited by Lori D.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:05 PM, FriedClams said:

Apple pie. Pillsbury crust with loads of fresh apples, some cinnamon sugar (I just shake it on top), dabs of butter. Easy and not gross like pumpkin. 🦃😂

Blech.  I'd rather have a nice pumpkin custard than mushy apples and soggy pie crust any day!

1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin (not pie mix, just pumpkin)

1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk

2 eggs

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground ginger

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Mix all above ingredients well and pour into a 9" unbaked deep dish pie shell. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes then reduce oven temp to 350 and bake an additional 35-40 minutes until inserted knife comes out clean. To prevent over browning over the edges, cover them in tin foil before filling.

• Like 1