Menu

Accountability Thread 11/24-11/30

Afternoon, but better late than not, right!  We are on a scheduled break this week, both for Thanksgiving and a pair of birthdays. Today's first project was mostly to figure out when and how I was cooking this week as I'm working about half of it. Next project will be blasting through another 2,000 words on my NaNo story, eating lunch, and figuring out how the housekeeping will go for the week now that I've got the cooking planned. More or less, anyway. 

• Like 3

Morning! Day One of Break. DH took off all week, but he's running errands most of today. I've got a phone call to make this morning, and then I have to come up with a housekeeping schedule for December and January. I think it's going to involve cleaning when I'd rather be resting, but maybe not. I have this week and the first week of December to try it out. 

Other than that, I'm going to write, get my NaNoWriMo words closed out between today and tomorrow, and try not to work too hard.

• Like 1

She has school 3 days this week. She gets a 4 days weekend.

She has read (several books) this morning, done calendar, telling time and Bible time. 

Currently taking a break

Needs to do penmanship, phonics and math. 

Dad is home for the next 5 days and he will do arts, crafts and math with her.

• Like 2

Morning! 

Today is light for the boys: piano; some science; language reviews. 

For me: term planning -- sketch out the next terms book lists/CM-style topic lists, especially; look at Ursa Minor, WTM, BYL and AO  --  cooking & cleaning & prep for tonight's role playing game which doesn't use the D&D system.

And, ideally, exercise all around. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Hope everyone had a wonderful day! We had a good time with family, there was food we could eat, and I still got some good writing done.  Work tomorrow and Saturday, and then I have to get back into school rhythm for a few more weeks, then a longer break.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are on term break until Sunday; this is getting down to the wire for me, planning our term as we catch up after last year.  It is definitely marathon, not sprint: by my count, we'll be "caught up" (checking my notebook ...) in September '21.  Lord willing & creek don't rise more than allowed for, elder will be beginning 10th grade and younger will be beginning 6th. 

Two things I'm especially grateful for right now are the board and this thread.  Years on the board mean that we are strong in essentials: the children are on target in the three Rs and logical thinking, which is appropriate b/c we have no LDs.  We do have asynchrony in the older and some emotional development that is not right on the mainstream, which is one reason I'm making sure we actually cover our "content" subjects in WTM progression and don't just scoot up to where the children are in their skills/age level: we need time to mature and to balance cognitive stuff with art and play and community. 

And the Accountability thread has helped me so much!  Last term was the first time we've ended a term with major goals met.  The first time EVER!  It was encouraging to see that it could happen and I keep learning as we go, so I hope next term will continue to see improvement.

Of course, there is a little bit of defining "major goals" as "the ones we did" but still, we really are ready to go forward into grammar & logic Early Modern/Chemistry work.  I am so grateful. 

Today:  planning, planning, and more planning.  Manage home, get exercise, make sure everybody has some fun -- DH, younger & I are sick; elder + MIL are okay. 

ETA: am using this as a scratch pad for our plans.  Elder really wants to be "9th grade" but I don't think he's ready for the actual rhetoric workload, and he doesn't want to have to work a lot more 🙂I feel okay letting him call himself 9th grade starting this term b/c his math, foreign language, and writing will all be ninth-grade acceptable a la WTM.  In order to give us more time for essentials we are dropping his high-school level Greek class and for a home study of Greek, and we are gently compressing WTM logic guidelines for history and literature so that about a year from now he can be ready to do rhetoric work.  He is really resistant to the Memoria Press Geography III I planned, I'll have him do MapTrek level C.  That, combined with the Great Books Junior anthology and American literature readings from MP, should allow me re-label this work as high school if I need to.  Esp. if we keep up with our art, music, and faith studies b/c those all have a strong social science component and our natural sciences are very strong.  But the Official Plan is to begin proper high school in January '21. 

DS really detests the WWS literature & poetry writing and so I'd like to find a good substitute for those sections and see if this means that we can complete a level of WWS within our 4-term chunk of Early Modern/Chem. 

So today I should: come up with a list of minimum records to keep as we go forward; a "course list" for both boys; a general plan for 4 terms of Early Modern/Chemistry, a more-specific plan for the first term, and a fairly detailed plan for the first week or two.  🙂  oh my. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 2