Menu

My least favorite phrase in a curriculum is

“Turn to the teacher resource notebook/student companion/enrichment guide/play dvd/listen to cd...etc etc.”

Back when my kids were young I learned that no matter how great the curriculum was if I had to juggle multiple books and components it wouldn’t get done. I wanted everything in one place not switching back and forth through multiple resources for one lesson. Luckily it only took me a couple years before I realized this about myself and was then able to pass on all the shiny new curriculum that came with 46 components. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 9

16 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

“Turn to the teacher resource notebook/student companion/enrichment guide/play dvd/listen to cd...etc etc.”

Back when my kids were young I learned that no matter how great the curriculum was if I had to juggle multiple books and components it wouldn’t get done. I wanted everything in one place not switching back and forth through multiple resources for one lesson. Luckily it only took me a couple years before I realized this about myself and was then able to pass on all the shiny new curriculum that came with 46 components. 

This is why I chose Math Mammoth over Singapore.

5 hours ago, Junie said:

In the answer key: answers will vary.

Seriously.  😤

That one irks me almost as much as "Invite the student..." Why the hector did you publish a separate teacher book/answer key that you require us to buy, if you don't include any actual answers!! I TOTALLY agree with Susan C. that it smacks of "I couldn't be bothered... to provide even one example, or a quick list of possible directions in which students might legitimately take the conversation..."

I promise you all here and now*: if I ever get to the publishable stage with my Literature materials, there will be NO "inviting" and NO "answers will vary." Also: NO cut and paste, and NO color pdf to print. There WILL be options for variable scheduling. And if at all possible, everything will be in one place -- student/teacher guides in one book (only two books if I can't get it all to fit in one). Oh... and NO sugar cubes. 😉 

* = picture the earnestness and intensity of Scarlet O'Hare in Gone With the Wind, standing in silhouette with fist raised to the red sunset, saying "With God as my witness..." 😂

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, kiwik said:

That is actually not so hard if you are NZ as NZ post has a forwarding service.  It is often cheaper to get things from the US than NZ though which is annoying.

wish we had that. I have had quotes of postage up to $200 for just 2 books from USA

a good friend and I are combining an order from Rainbow Resources atm, to try and get over the $500us order  for the reduced  "only" $150us postage. that will be $220 Au just for postage. 😞 

• Sad 5

11 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I do not, never have, and will never have sugar cubes on hand. 

I splurged one year and bought them, and they aren't cubic! So the pyramid thing didn't work well anyway! Now I've had them in my cabinet for years and years, because nobody uses sugar cubes any more. Le sigh. 🙄

1574688617293791441410078708097.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

wish we had that. I have had quotes of postage up to $200 for just 2 books from USA

a good friend and I are combining an order from Rainbow Resources atm, to try and get over the $500us order  for the reduced  "only" $150us postage. that will be $220 Au just for postage. 😞 

Those prices are insane. 😞

• Like 2

"Read pages 39 to 56 in" previously undisclosed, obscure, out-of-print spine probably written for poor benighted children in the distant corners of the British Empire, available only as a unpaginated 1000 page google book.

Said book also probably begins each chapter with "As you see, dear children..."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 11/24/2019 at 8:39 PM, teachermom2834 said:

I do not, never have, and will never have sugar cubes on hand. 

I can't even find those here.  Seriously.  I went to every grocery and specialty store in our area last year looking for them for some project and came up empty.

The big thing from years back was blue jello.  I swear, nearly every project-based curriculum I looked at used blue jello at one point. I could not get it.  I lived overseas and I could barely get plain gelatin.  Every freaking year I'd want to kick the book across the room because we'd get in so far, and then........."use one box of blue Jello..."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Any science program that wants us to make a model of a cell using food. It's always food we do not eat, so I have to buy special junk food that gets thrown away.  That $20 jello-and-candy cell model was sure worth it. 😠 

I almost never use food for models.  I can't stand the waste.  Only exception is if it's a handful of cereal or something else that we would use anyway.   We used a lot of playdoh or things like beads instead.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 1:32 AM, MissLemon said:

Any science program that wants us to make a model of a cell using food. It's always food we do not eat, so I have to buy special junk food that gets thrown away.  That $20 jello-and-candy cell model was sure worth it. 😠 

My daughter is seriously considering making a model of a cell for her science fair project this year (it can be an exhibit and not just an investigation) but she doesn't want to use food. She wants to use recyclables and get creative.

• Like 1

“Once you have completed the lesson, read the entire US Constitution.”  

This is always at the end of a lesson.  They want you to read some sort of ridiculously long original document to round out the lesson. (I’m looking at you high school level Notgrass American Government.)

OMG. Have you ever read anything by Jefferson? The man didn’t know what a period was.  Each of his sentences are 5 paragraphs long.  By the time we’re done reading a lesson, we do not have the mental energy to dissect an original document.  Dissecting those things takes FOREVER and by the end of a lesson, we’re all kinda done.

(sorry for the weird font-ipad is acting up)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5