Menu

Screen time limits

Elizabeth86

I no longer have a boy that age but my girl that age gets around 12 hours a week of entertainment/free choice screens. And that’s on the weekends. During the week there’s about 45-60 min each day of school on the computer (BA, Typing, Language nut, and sometimes an episode of Wild Kratz or Magic School Bus), but no entertainment screens.

Edited by Targhee

At that age, my boys had maybe about 40ish minutes a couple of times a day for totally free screens. (I say "totally" but for I mean for age appropriate media... they used to watch Avatar: the Last Airbender and play Wizard 101 and Animal Jam and things like that around age 8...)

They did sometimes have screens for educational things or projects. They used to make little stop motion movies around that age, I think and we'd watch documentaries together for school - that sort of thing. And we would call screen holidays every once in awhile - for a couple days after birthdays and Christmas and when they were home sick and so forth, where we'd remove any regular rules about them and let them go wild with them. And any car ride longer than an hour, I'd allow a DVD or leapsters or whatever it was they had then.

I always felt like we were pretty lax... but that was a few years back now. I have the impression that now kids at that age have more. Certainly, the difference between how much screen time I allowed my boys when they were age 2-5 is dramatically different from how much my nephews have. Like, massive. We limited screens severely then... but we also didn't have smartphones yet.

Edited by Farrar

My kids that age get half an hour on weekdays of "do whatever you want" screen time. They use Kindle Fires. They also often watch a show in the evening on our computer. That's usually Wild Kratts, Liberty's Kids, Word Girl or something else with a hint of something semi-educational. Weekends they get 45 minutes of screen time.

I have a 9yo. Right now he gets no video games during the week, but he does get tv time.  That's split between a half hour show in the morning while he's waking up and time while I'm cooking dinner.
On the weekend it's theoretically "whatever", but we don't usually spend our weekends around video games.  Like, today is Sunday.  He woke up, played hockey, stopped by the store with us, and is getting an hour to play before dad takes over the tv to watch football.  Next weekend has more hockey, a library visit, cookie baking, and yardwork because it'll be nice again.  So he won't get much time then, either.  Around January/February the rules will change a little, accepting that we'll be hibernating more so he'll get more screen time.

Too much.  My 6, just turned 9, and just turned 11 yo’s watch 1 to 1.5 hrs of movies most days so I can take a nap and have a bit of down time.  They will not be quiet enough for me to nap unless they watch a movie, and I need naps.  Then they have 30 mins of game time each (in theory...actually they end up with 5 to 20 mins each after I take away the time they lose each day for misbehaving).  I don’t like giving them game time and really they seem quite obsessed with it, but losing game time is one of the only consequences that works for the older two so they get it so I can take time away.  They often spend some time watching TV with their dad in the evenings also as I cannot convince him that they don’t need even more screen time.  They usually get less screen time on the weekends.

When my kids were growing up, no one had personal computers so that wasn't even a thing!  But they probably watched up to 90 minutes a day (M-F) of public television.  Maybe 30 minutes in the morning, and an hour when I was cooking dinner.  (Reading Rainbow, Wishbone, Zoom...)  Weekends they didn't watch any TV, although we always watched a family movie on Sunday evenings.  

I don't even know how parents do it nowadays with the pull of personal computers. 

daily - 10 minutes of reading eggs followed by 15 minutes of "free time" I only have educational apps on the iPad. mostly basic letter and number learning type apps. I use a timer for the free time.

We also use Word Wizard for AAS - does that count as screen time? it takes 5 minutes a  day.

daily - we are using watching a cartoon time as a reinforcer for positive behaviour , mostly the way I am talked to . they each start off with 6 pegs on a peg board. each peg represents 10 minutes. if I am screamed at, or grunted at with loud animal noises  or told where to go then they lose a peg. by 4 pm we count up the pegs left and that is how many minutes that child can watch a carefully selected cartoon. I use a count backwards timer with a large visual display that lets them know I am not rigging the system. 

my twins are not atypical children 

15 hours ago, caedmyn said:

Too much.  My 6, just turned 9, and just turned 11 yo’s watch 1 to 1.5 hrs of movies most days so I can take a nap and have a bit of down time.  They will not be quiet enough for me to nap unless they watch a movie, and I need naps.  Then they have 30 mins of game time each (in theory...actually they end up with 5 to 20 mins each after I take away the time they lose each day for misbehaving).  I don’t like giving them game time and really they seem quite obsessed with it, but losing game time is one of the only consequences that works for the older two so they get it so I can take time away.  They often spend some time watching TV with their dad in the evenings also as I cannot convince him that they don’t need even more screen time.  They usually get less screen time on the weekends.

I’m just curious — why do you need 1 to 1.5 hour naps every day? Are you ill? I hope not!  

With me it was unlimited at that age. As long as I was free to watch what they were playing or watching. By themselves, none until my younger kid could self regulate better. My older wasn’t into screen time but it was just discouraging to the younger one to have limits when older one could be allowed free reign. So both have the same screen time rules, they are only a year apart.

Their screen time was spent on BlocksWorld game app, Minecraft app, YouTube videos, PBS Kids and NOVA shows on TV.

Edited by Arcadia
Messy grammar