Menu

American/US history in 8th grade for credit

Is there a reason to avoid this? I had read some colleges want required credits to be taken within a certain number of years before graduation.

i am contemplating supplementing our current modern world history with the 1700 ish to 1914 time period and calling it high school US history (the option I thought we were using next year has fallen through and this would allow us more flexibility). Possibly he would not finish until next school year anyway. Thoughts?

TIA!

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

Is there a reason to avoid this? I had read some colleges want required credits to be taken within a certain number of years before graduation...

That would be the only possible concern I can think of -- many colleges want 1 year of American History, AND some of these schools only count credits completed in the last 4 years of high school as meeting their admission requirements.

... Possibly he would not finish until next school year anyway...

However, if you don't finish the credit until into 9th grade, then you meet that deadline, and I can't see a downside.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lori D. said:

However, if you don't finish the credit until into 9th grade, then you meet that deadline, and I can't see a downside.

This is what happened to us. Older boy started it in 8th grade and finished it in 9th grade. 

On the transcript you can either say "courses listed in the year they were completed." Or "courses listed in the year the majority of the work was completed." State this in your school profile and move on. 🙂 

• Like 3