Menu

What's with the ads?

Calizzy

For those smart about fitness/exercise

Hi! I'm 35 yrs old, 5'5". Up until 2 years ago I weighed about 132 lbs. I've had some lifestyle changes (mostly that I went from an urban/walkable community to suburbs) and gained about 10 lbs. So I wanted to loose a little, 5 lbs would be great. I joined jazzercise (mostly aerobics with some weights as well). The class is an hour long and I go 4x/ week. I have been doing this for 2 months and have gained 3 lbs. 3 lbs isn't a huge deal, it's just that I was hoping to loose weight. Is it normal to gain a bit of muscle weight? Or am I just adding a winter layer 😜

Edited by Calizzy

20 minutes ago, Calizzy said:

Hi! I'm 35 yrs old, 5'5". Up until 2 years ago I weighed about 132 lbs. I've had some lifestyle changes (mostly that I went from an urban/walkable community to suburbs) and gained about 10 lbs. So I wanted to loose a little, 5 lbs would be great. I joined jazzercise (mostly aerobics with some weights as well). The class is an hour long and I go 4x/ week. I have been doing this for 2 months and have gained 3 lbs. 3 lbs isn't a huge deal, it's just that I was hoping to loose weight. Is it normal to gain a bit of muscle weight? Or am I just adding a winter layer 😜

It could be either muscle or not.  Have you gained or lost clothing size? Appearance? Feeling of musculature and fitness? 

I feel like that happens to me. In fact I've been trying to shed a few pounds and joking with myself that if I quit exercising it would probably melt away. Of course, eventually it would stop melting off and start accruing again and then I would have to start exercising from scratch which is painful, sooo I probably won't take this approach. 

In the meantime, @Pen has the right approach, how do you feel, how do your clothes fit, etc For me, within my normal cycle, the times I feel the most self-confidence and thinnest are, for some reason, the heaviest scale days of my cycle. I have no idea why and it is a bit frustrating!

• Like 1

I don't really notice any difference in my clothing. I should have measured my waist or taken a picture before I started.

I blame some of that on today's elastic-y, comfortable waistbands, they just happily snug up to wherever you are! 😄

Don't take pictures or measurements, just go with how you feel on the inside (what am I, a motivational speaker now?) Seriously though, the scale number is a fairly arbitrary point. The muscles you build are denser than the fat you will replace, so everything I've read says you should stay the course. I feel like my legs are slimmer, but the scale hasn't budged. 

It is totally normally to gain muscle when working out and since muscle weighs more than fat you might lose inches around your waist, for example, but your weight will increase due to increased muscle mass.  

3 hours ago, Calizzy said:

. I joined jazzercise (mostly aerobics with some weights as well). The class is an hour long and I go 4x/ week. 

If I exercise that regularly, I would see improvement in cardio endurance, as in I can hike longer distances and have less trouble climbing flights of stairs. 

Everyone lose fat and tone up differently. For me, my calf and arm tone up first. Any weight lost would be first to my face, then to my waist and last to my thigh. Unless I do lots of squats, my thighs are going to be the last to get toned. 

You could possibly have gained some muscle mass, as a beginner you will put it on quicker. You could have also gained fat, it is easy to eat more when we exercise. Taking some measurements would be helpful and tracking strength, endurance, etc.

3 hours ago, soror said:

You could possibly have gained some muscle mass, as a beginner you will put it on quicker. You could have also gained fat, it is easy to eat more when we exercise. Taking some measurements would be helpful and tracking strength, endurance, etc.

I agree about taking measurements. I found that very helpful .

• Like 1

Congratulations on getting more fit and active! I hope that you are seeing the benefits of this in several ways. Healthy life-style habits is best of you think of the long-term. 

If it took you 2 years to gain 10 lbs, I wouldn't expect to get rid of it in 2 months, but to have the scale go up could be due to a number of reasons. You may be eating more, you may have more muscle, your metabolism may be changing due to age or other factors, etc.

• Like 3

Exercise/fitness is an excellent life choice. You increase strength, flexibility, balance, mental health, set yourself up well for aging, improve the way clothes fit. For numbers on the scale, though, I believe the current theory is that this is going to come more from diet.

Edited by KathyBC
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

Congratulations on getting more fit and active! I hope that you are seeing the benefits of this in several ways. Healthy life-style habits is best of you think of the long-term. 

If it took you 2 years to gain 10 lbs, I wouldn't expect to get rid of it in 2 months, but to have the scale go up could be due to a number of reasons. You may be eating more, you may have more muscle, your metabolism may be changing due to age or other factors, etc.

2 hours ago, KathyBC said:

Exercise/fitness is an excellent life choice. You increase strength, flexibility, balance, mental health, set yourself up well for aging, improve the way clothes fit. For numbers on the scale, though, I believe the current theory is that this is going to come more from diet.

Both true too. Keep an eye on the fluctuations, is it staying up or is it related to your cycle or what you ate, or soreness from working out, or anything else. It is worth it anyway though, even though seeing the numbers on a scale go down is nice motivation there are so many other things.

• Like 1