Menu

Quick Question - Outsourced grades...

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but just wanted confirmation.  If an outsourced teacher designates an A to be 93-100 (she bases it on the county the class is taken in), but my A range is 90-100 (based on the county I live in), I am able to make the teacher's 90-92 and A on my transcript?  Not an issue at the moment, they both have a high A in this class, but I just wanted to make sure I was correct in my thinking and moving forward through the rest of high school.

I think it is fine to go either way as long a you are consistent from class to class.  My policy from the beginning is to award the letter grade that the provider gave as I feel they are better equipped to determine what was A, B, or C work and their grading scale was set to reflect that.  And I want my dd to be used to varied grading scales that she may encounter in college.  

• Like 2

I also think it's okay to use your own scale, as long as you're clear. For me, choosing to use a 90-100 scale representing an A reflects my philosophy on mastering material - which is that mastering 90% is definitely enough to call something an A. I do think teachers adjust tests and work to meet the scale, so in that sense, you could be messing with it... but really, I don't think you need to overthink it. Just decide your policy and go with it. Feel free to make a note on the transcript ("Letter grades from outside providers listed on the transcript reflect our homeschool's grading scale." or "Letter grades for all outside courses reflect the letter grade awarded by the provider/tutor.") if it distresses you.

• Like 1