Menu

Christmas dinner ideas--non traditional

popmom

Traditional for us is beef tenderloin. Easy, quick to cook, and yummy. It is my mom's gift to us and she enjoys it with us. I add roasted or baked potatoes and a nice green salad and that's it. We usually have shrimp cocktail and a nice cheese plate for appetizers. Pecan pie for dessert. Dinner is early, around 4. 

We do a big, lateish breakfast on Christmas with egg casserole, cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit and coffee, so no one eats lunch.

We had several years before kids where we were invited to a midday or early afternoon feast and then ordered good Chinese food for dinner and that was excellent. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 1:03 AM, Laura Corin said:

We do Coq au Vin for Christmas. It tastes special, we never make it otherwise, and I prepare it the day before, so it's easy.

I have never made this, and I was thinking of gumbo because I can prepare the day before, but this looks awesome! How does it reheat? Do you put it back in the oven? Or just prep the day before and do the baking on Christmas?

Also, any particular recipe?

Edited by StaceyinLA

On 11/22/2019 at 12:45 PM, katilac said:

I forgot to say that I'm only in my 50s and I've been over the big holiday meal for a long time, lol. Probably at least a decade. It's just too much work for not even my favorite foods! You have the prep and the cooking, and then you have to deal with all the leftovers and cleaning up. dh does like turkey, but I pointed out that it doesn't actually have to be Thanksgiving in order to bake a turkey. 

I do like to cook and have special meals. I don't like preparing time-consuming or time-sensitive foods on days that are already busy, it's more enjoyable for me to do that when we all have time and are relaxed. 

Luckily, everyone loves the steak-on-Thanksgiving tradition and I go to a big gathering on Christmas that actually requires me to cook less than I normally would, lol. It's wonderful and I'm so glad for these 'extra' years of having more time at the holidays. If anyone is feeling a bit grumpy about preparing the traditional holiday meal . . . free yourself from those chains! Do what you want to do. Make a new tradition. Own those holidays. 

This is how I am. My mom spent her day cooking and never really enjoyed sitting down and watching her kids and grandkids enjoy Christmas. We have done beef tenderloin, or gumbo typically, but this year I’m going for something a little less expensive than tenderloin, and a little different than gumbo. Think I’m gonna try that Coq Au Vin.

• Like 1

My Mom was given a standing rib roast as a gift (one of those mail order steak type places), so we cooked it on New Year's Day.  It was actually quite lovely.  I had never cooked one before, but googled and it turned out well.  We served it with scalloped potatoes (my Mom's favorite), and green beans almondine.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 9:21 PM, alisoncooks said:

My oldest has refused pizza for years. We finally narrowed it down that she didn't like pizza sauce, lol. Come to think of it, I don't really either. So now we order a separate pizza, just cheese and pepperoni --no sauce-- for us. 😄

Has she tried White pizza? it is seasoned oil, thin sliced tomatoes and then the cheeses vary depending on the pizza place. some here still do mozz, but some do parm. It is also good with onions and olives. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

I have never made this, and I was thinking of gumbo because I can prepare the day before, but this looks awesome! How does it reheat? Do you put it back in the oven? Or just prep the day before and do the baking on Christmas?

Also, any particular recipe?

I mostly cook it the day before, then I add in the cooked mushrooms and bacon on the day and reheat in the oven.  It reheats perfectly - it's better the second day.  My recipe is from Julia Child https://www.theendlessmeal.com/julia-childs-coq-au-vin/

ETA: this year I'll be making coq au vin and also tofu au vin because one of us is veggie.  I'll cook two pans of most of the ingredients, marinade and roast the tofu, then add the tofu in at the end with the mushrooms.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

We usually have the same meal as Thanksgiving but over the years we've also had:

Denny's (at the restaurant)

Olive Garden (ordered and picked up on Christmas Eve and reheated... if anyone does this, get the breadsticks unheated; it is an option).

Spaghetti & meatballs, homemade

Minestrone

Beef bourguignon with egg noodles

Steak & baked potatoes

Frozen pizza we got on way home from ER at a convenient store. Ugh. 

Cookies...we had had a big late brunch and no one wanted to eat anymore. That was a Thanksgiving meal redux year and I made it the next day.

• Like 1

Here's the story of our non-traditional Christmas Eve dinner. Every year we eat lunch with MIL, then get in the car to drive 3 hours to my parents' house. Due to timing, and the fact that we're driving through rural areas, we always end up stopping at 7-Eleven for Spicy Bites. I detest it. I'm determined to make better plans this year. 

• Haha 2

Christmas Eve now is always enchiladas. One year, the power went out while our enchiladas were cooking, so we ate lukewarm enchiladas. For whatever reason, now the kids want enchiladas every CE. Its funny the things they pick up on to turn into traditions!

For Christmas Day, I'd like ham. However, one dd doesn't like ham and I've never been able to cook it without drying it out. I don't know what we'll have this year.

• Like 1

I want to get invited to one of those holiday dinners where homemade tamales get involved, but my Hispanic friends are all lame and don't do that because it's too much of a production.  I even offered to set an alarm and be an assistant, but no dice. I feel I've been cheated in the multi-cultural friend department.  I guess I need to watch a youtube tutorial or something and figure it out my damn self.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DH wants to start a new tradition and do a seafood feast this year.   I like shell fish, but not regular fish, and hate the smell of regular fish cooking. I’m all for it if we can stick to shellfish.

I cook Thanksgiving and he cleans up.  On Christmas, he cooks and I clean.  I don’t want to have to clean up after stinky fish. 

For Thanksgiving, we are having a turkey from the local smokehouse. I am being super lame and doing store bought sides.  I would rather hang out than fuss over food for just us 3. 

I would love to have fondue, but I am the only one who's eat it! 

We have had tamales on CE, too. I haven't found anyone that is making them this year, so I might be getting store bought. 

• Like 1

We have done Tbone steaks, prime rib, and Cornish game hens. 

I usually do a ham because it is super easy and forgiving on the timing. I don't  like turkey. I  made one a couple of times, for those who like it but then decided it wasn't worth the effort. LOL

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I want to get invited to one of those holiday dinners where homemade tamales get involved, but my Hispanic friends are all lame and don't do that because it's too much of a production.  I even offered to set an alarm and be an assistant, but no dice. I feel I've been cheated in the multi-cultural friend department.  I guess I need to watch a youtube tutorial or something and figure it out my damn self.

You know, I lived in San Antonio for 3 years and never got tamales. I deeply regret that. I need a tutorial, too. 

On 11/22/2019 at 6:47 AM, Mbelle said:

We do beef tenderloin or standing rib roast.  

Several have said this. This is what I was considering before I posted this. I've never cooked either. Which is easier? Do you do the tenderloin on the grill? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, popmom said:

Several have said this. This is what I was considering before I posted this. I've never cooked either. Which is easier? Do you do the tenderloin on the grill? 

My husband is so picky about how beef is cooked, rested, etc, that the rest of the family has banned him from cooking Christmas dinner, after (it seemed like) hours sitting waiting for food that then came cold.

I've never made it, but my mom swears the rib roast is super easy BUT you have to plan ahead. You basically leave it in the oven for 2 hours or something, but turn the heat off early on in the process. And no opening the door for any reason. So no cooking sides alongside it, etc.

This is the method:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/closed-oven-prime-rib-roast-method-995286

Edited by Ktgrok

10 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I have great memories of participating in "tamale day" at a friend's parents' house for a few years. I was never there on Christmas when they ate the tamales for dinner, but I was in on the preparation.  The day started with the best bloody marys ever. Everyone was given a job - unfortunately I never progressed beyond spreading the masa on the corn husks even though I did this for a few years.  It was the most fun day, and at the end, we got to sample tamales - savory and sweet - along with other food for dinner. By the time the day was over, the bloody mary buzz was gone, the stomach was full, and life looked beautiful.   I miss those days so much. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, popmom said:

I've never done a tenderloin, but rib roast is easy as can be.  Here is the recipe I have used, from Better Homes and Gardens:

https://www.bhg.com/recipe/beef/standing-rib-roast/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, popmom said:

Dh does cooks tenderloin on the grill and he cooks one end longer than the other.  It takes between 1 hour and 1.5 hours.  The standing rib roast he cooks in the oven. He says the key is to pay for a good quality piece of meat.  We have a smaller oven in the garage so we have space to ccok other things at the same time if we do the rib roast.  We make a schedule of when to have each food ready at the same time.  Some dishes stay in the oven on keep warm.

• Like 1

Costco has good beef tenderloin and prime rib. Publix too. 

My SIL sometime serves beef tenderloin to a crowd. She manages by having tons of appetizers for hour before we eat and many sides. We all bring things, so no one has much cooking to do and no one is REALLY hungry when they get to the beef.  

I make it bc it is delicious, easy and still a treat, something special. No way am I spending Christmas cooking!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I mostly cook it the day before, then I add in the cooked mushrooms and bacon on the day and reheat in the oven.  It reheats perfectly - it's better the second day.  My recipe is from Julia Child https://www.theendlessmeal.com/julia-childs-coq-au-vin/

ETA: this year I'll be making coq au vin and also tofu au vin because one of us is veggie.  I'll cook two pans of most of the ingredients, marinade and roast the tofu, then add the tofu in at the end with the mushrooms.

Thank you! I actually pulled up Pioneer Woman’s recipe yesterday and took a screen shot. I’m gonna compare them.

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

My husband is so picky about how beef is cooked, rested, etc, that the rest of the family has banned him from cooking Christmas dinner, after (it seemed like) hours sitting waiting for food that then came cold.

Here’s a “recipe” that’s worth a try, and what I do when I make tenderloin for Christmas. It’s a 500 degree pot roast recipe that’s typically done with an eye round. I figured if it worked with eye round, it could only be more perfect with tenderloin (they’re similar in shape after all).

Heat your oven to 500 degrees. Prep the tenderloin by sprinkling with a little salt and coarse pepper (or nothing if you prefer). If there is any fat on it, place it fat side up in a pan.

Cook at 500 degrees for 5 minutes PER POUND (4 lb piece of meat is gonna cook 20 minutes - first time I ever made one I only cooked 5 minutes at 500. It was... interesting), then turn the oven off, but DO NOT OPEN for 2 hours.

After 2 hours, you open the oven. The meat will only be lukewarm, so if you don’t like that, this recipe won’t be for you, but it’s a perfectly medium rare-rare piece of meat with more cooked areas toward the ends for those that don’t like it quite so rare. I make a horseradish sauce to spread on it (there’s also gonna be nice juice in the pan), and serve it with piping hot sides and I love it. But I’d also rather a piece of lukewarm meat than a piece of hot, overcooked meat, so there ya go. 😜

• Like 1