Menu

Which Christian colleges offer generous scholarships?

rads

Hello!

My daughter is semifinalist and hopefully will be NMSP finalist, with 1540 SAT. We were looking for a full tuition scholarship from a college with Christian affiliation or within Bible belt. We already applied to several but would like to hear about more. 

It might help if you listed schools where she has already applied.  

Some schools are going to have priority deadlines for scholarships that may have already passed - November 1st or 15th are common.

As an example, I found a competitive one at Grove City, but it had a November 11th deadline for applying. 

Edited by Hoggirl

2 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I’m not sure if this one is the right type of Christianity for you, but it’s a lovely school. Houghton College, in NY. They have a full scholarship for NM finalists, semi-finalists offered thru the Honors group. It’s a tiny school, though I’ve heard very good things about it.

We applied to Houghton too, I thought they give 3 full scholarships per year only?

Berry College in Rome, GA, gives substantial merit aid and is (loosely, perhaps) Christian.  It is always on those "most beautiful college campuses" lists.  Covenant College near Chattanooga also gives substantial merit aid, I think--I am less sure of that than I am about Berry's.

• Like 1

Abilene Christian University (ACU).  Not quite as heavily Christian as some of those schools, but it is Christian, includes Christian studies and standards. The city of Abilene is very conservative and most people attend church.  When we were stationed at the Air Force base there, all the sports events in the area started with a prayer and the pledge.  Abilene is called "the buckle of the Bible Belt."  It is a good school, my daughter considered going there, she met good friends when we lived in Abiline and we knew several people who taught and worked at ACU, all nice Christian families.  

https://www.acu.edu/admissions-aid/undergraduate/financial-aid/scholarships.html

They state, "All National Merit Finalists and Semi-Finalists are guaranteed full-tuition, when coordinated with federal, state and institutional grants, to attend ACU."

Edited by ElizabethB

4 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Have you looked at Cedarville University?  Or Asbury University?

We lived in Ohio and met many people with friends or relatives who had gone to Cedarville, it is a good School with a strong Christian mission and values, although Ohio as a whole is not a strongly Christian area, but we lived in the Dayton area and do not know about the area surrounding Cedarville.  It is worth looking into.  I don't know anything about Asbury personally, but Cedarville and ACU are definitely worth looking into if you want more choices.  

We lived in the LA area as well, and had a friend who took some Biola courses, my husband attended a few of his classes that were open to visitors, he was amazed at the scholarship and level of what was being taught.  They base the scholarships solely on GPA and SAT score, it looks like you would qualify for the highest level, $20K, with that SAT score.  

https://www.biola.edu/financial-aid/scholarships-and-aid/undergrad/biola-scholarships/current

Edited by ElizabethB

5 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

Abilene Christian University (ACU).  Not quite as heavily Christian as some of those schools, but it is Christian, includes Christian studies and standards. The city of Abilene is very conservative and most people attend church.  When we were stationed at the Air Force base there, all the sports events in the area started with a prayer and the pledge.  Abilene is called "the buckle of the Bible Belt."  It is a good school, my daughter considered going there, she met good friends when we lived in Abiline and we knew several people who taught and worked at ACU, all nice Christian families.  

https://www.acu.edu/admissions-aid/undergraduate/financial-aid/scholarships.html

They state, "All National Merit Finalists and Semi-Finalists are guaranteed full-tuition, when coordinated with federal, state and institutional grants, to attend ACU."

I, too, was going to recommend ACU. It's an excellent school. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rads said:

Thanks for the tip on Abilene. Should have said Texas is our top choice

You're welcome!  We enjoyed our time in Abilene, we had a good church there and a lot of good friends.  The town is very supportive of the military, my husband had his lunch paid for about 1/4 of the time he went out to eat.

12 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

We lived in Ohio and met many people with friends or relatives who had gone to Cedarville, it is a good School with a strong Christian mission and values, although Ohio as a whole is not a strongly Christian area, but we lived in the Dayton area and do not know about the area surrounding Cedarville.  It is worth looking into.  I don't know anything about Asbury personally, but Cedarville and ACU are definitely worth looking into if you want more choices.  

We lived in the LA area as well, and had a friend who took some Biola courses, my husband attended a few of his classes that were open to visitors, he was amazed at the scholarship and level of what was being taught.  They base the scholarships solely on GPA and SAT score, it looks like you would qualify for the highest level, $20K, with that SAT score.  

https://www.biola.edu/financial-aid/scholarships-and-aid/undergrad/biola-scholarships/current

I was going to get excited about Biola because they have a good harpist on staff and because of the large scholarships but then I realized the scholarships are larger because the tuition is twice as much as recent places I've been looking at. Sigh... 

I know it's par for the course, it's just that I have been looking at state schools and some cheaper Christian schools recently and mentally lost the big picture and became used to 18k-25k tuition. 

• Like 1

Congrats on her great scores! I bet she will get a full ride somewhere.

We have a young friend who is at Union in Tenessee and they also give generous merit aid.  She got something like 20K per year.  She is very happy there! She is in the Honors program and she absolutely loves it.  She loves the professors, the small group studies, the field trips for the Honors Students and the Mentor program.  She thought the room inspections were a little weird but other than that hasn't found it too legalistic or strange.  They have standards for some things but it seems to be with the true spirit of making everyone safe and happy.  In fact, she loves it so much she is planning to stay on for her Master's there.  The campus is safe and beautiful but not too far from a small town city (I forget which one)...

Good luck!

• Like 1

With that score and a high GPA she'd qualify for good merit at TCU.

What is her major, though? You will want to narrow your choices down by looking at majors and programs along with cost. I wanted Dd to go to a Christian uni but the ones we could afford had mediocre offerings in her major. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris in VA said:

With that score and a high GPA she'd qualify for good merit at TCU.

What is her major, though? You will want to narrow your choices down by looking at majors and programs along with cost. I wanted Dd to go to a Christian uni but the ones we could afford had mediocre offerings in her major. 

We thinking computer science 

16 minutes ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

I am a Houghton College alumni, as well as several of my siblings. While the full scholarships are only 3, financial aid scholarships plus grants are generous. I know several high achieving students who didn’t get the full scholarship, but received several smaller scholarships and grants that equaled full tuition.  They have a fantastic honors program your daughter would qualify for that includes freshmen spring in London.  

However—Houghton is basically the rural snow capital of the world.  And the academics are not for the faint of heart.

Yes, Houghton was pretty generous. My ds did the honors program last year. It was excellent.

My friends who went to Houghton loved it.  Granted, it was a long time ago, but they loved it.  And I have a friend I graduated with (from High School) who is a professor there now.

I went to Seattle Pacific for undergrad and had a great experience, but I don't know as much about their scholarships, my friend's son got about $12k there in the last 5 years though. 

5 minutes ago, DawnM said:

My friends who went to Houghton loved it.  Granted, it was a long time ago, but they loved it.  And I have a friend I graduated with (from High School) who is a professor there now. 

Any input on how good computer sciences are there?

Edited by rads