Menu

What's with the ads?

lynn

Any one have a side dish recipe that travels well.

It's just over a 3 hour ride to my moms but I want to contribute more than dessert.  Any ideas would be great.  It will be in the 50's so what ever it it can't need to stay cold although I could bring a cooler.  I may have some heat up time at my mom's before heading to nephews a few minutes away.  If it could be made the night before or thrown together quickly in the morning, under and hours time would be nice.  TIA

Following. We're driving 3.5 hrs Thanksgiving morning. I am taking two desserts this year (made the day before). In years past, I've taken the gravy (because my inlaws don't understand the necessity of gravy with turkey). Rolls travel well, as does dressing. Cranberry sauce. Any number of casseroles could be preassembled and cooked upon arrival, I'd think. Maybe sweet potatoes. 

My kids love mashed potatoes. Cook the night before and put in the fridge in a large microwaveable container. I use store bought turkey gravy (Trader Joe’s) and just pour over the  mashed potatoes to reheat at the destination.

• Like 1

Lately, my go to side dish that travels fine is the mix it yourself spinach salad at Costco. It tastes great and has been a hit.  Otherwise- rolls, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes travel well. 

We live about 2.5 hours from everyone who is coming for Thanksgiving next week.  They are all bringing-

Stuffing-My mom makes it ahead, packs it in foil pans, we pop it in the oven to warm up for a bit when she gets here.

Cranberry sauce and pineapple-we are canned jellied cranberry sauce people.  Cans will be brought, opened here, dropped on a plate.

Sweet potato casserole-like the stuffing, DD23 will make this ahead of time, pack in foil pans, it will go into the oven to warm when she gets here

Rolls-my sister buys some frozen roll.  She will defrost at home, it will rise on the way, bake in the oven at the same time the stuffing and sweet potato casserole are warming

Various regular veggies-we don't do many veggie recipes so these will be steamy bags brought, microwaved here, seasoned here.

In the past, my brother has brought mashed potatoes in the crockpot....just bring the whole crockpot.  This year his wife won't participate so I will be making the mashed taters here.

cranberry sauce.

funeral potatoes (cover with foil, you can bake ahead and reheat, or just put it together and cover with foil.)

There are really no limits to what can travel well. A cooler works well for hot dishes, too. Just wrap the hot dish in towels before putting it in the cooler. It's a challenge--I know. So many years waking up early on those holidays to cook a casserole or two-- timing it just right so that it comes out of the oven and into the cooler(warmer) in time to get to the parent's house on time.

If you don't want to tackle that...A marinated salad is a great make ahead side that could easily make the trip w/out even being in a cooler. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16257/marinated-salad/

If you get an inverter for your car you can keep a crock pot on low.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-120W-Slim-Inverter/109463375?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2508&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=aud-834279576126:pla-51320962143&wl5=9029608&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=109463375&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiAiNnuBRD3ARIsAM8KmlvP8QRo27h5h9aAD-bfpZc883McyZmHP4Mp7VKn1RkGHYcd_5sg3MAaAmZoEALw_wcB

I have a crock pot that travels well, it has a giant rubber band and a cover, newer ones have lockable lids that do the same function:

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Quart-Stay-Cooker/dp/B005OYE7HE/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=travel+crock+pot&qid=1574408319&sr=8-12

Sometimes I use bungee cords/old ties or belts for our crock pots that don't have rubber bands or locking lids. If you're not going far, you can just cover with towels instead of using an inverter to keep warm.

You could bring 3 different warm sides with this thing:

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3897874/TRU-Triple-Slow-Cooker---Buffet-Server.jsp?pfm=bdrecs-WebStore-PDP-Horizontal1-b1155-231&bdrecsId=a8c55aff-d031-411b-be5a-fdbb9b659957

Cheaper but you might have to use some rope/bungee cords to keep lids secured:

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3402770/Bialetti-Copper-Nonstick-Triple-Slow-Cooker.jsp?pfm=bdrecs-WebStore-PDP-Horizontal1-b1155-231&bdrecsId=8de06573-7002-4fa4-ab6a-4f41f5b18f2a

Edited by ElizabethB

13 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Following. We're driving 3.5 hrs Thanksgiving morning. I am taking two desserts this year (made the day before). In years past, I've taken the gravy (because my inlaws don't understand the necessity of gravy with turkey). Rolls travel well, as does dressing. Cranberry sauce. Any number of casseroles could be preassembled and cooked upon arrival, I'd think. Maybe sweet potatoes. 

Who the heck doesn’t have gravy at Thanksgiving (with turkey) 🤦‍♀️!  A few years ago my BIL decided no potatoes at Thanksgiving.  He was on a diet.  What about the rest of us LoL?!?  I brought mash potatoes on my own - he was not happy with me.  My 90+ year old in-laws wanted mashed potatoes with their Turkey and gravy 😁.  

A cold broccoli salad (with raisins, sunflower seeds...) is good.  I've brought all the canned items for green bean casserole several times.  There's always time to put it in the oven while the turkey's cut, gravy's made, etc.  Or bring a crockpot.  We do arrive a few hours ahead of dinner.