Menu

THIS is another reason I love Abecedarian!

ktgrok

I emailed them using the contact form on the website to ask for any advice on helping my daughter with spelling. Mind you, we had tremendous success with her reading using their materials, but she is still struggling with spelling. I know their materials are marketed for reading, not spelling, but wondered if the owner had any suggestions on how to use their materials to help her, other materials, etc. This is the reply I got - so above and beyond what he needed to do. And none of it makes him  dime - the only resource of his that he mentions is on the free resources page of his website. He typed all this out out of the goodness of his heart and true desire to help students. He didn't have to do that. (we've emailed him before and gotten similar, well thought out replies specific to our needs.)

Hi, Katie,

I’m glad to hear that your daughter made good success with ABCD.

I recommend that you get Equipped for Reading Success by David Kilpatrick.  It has a sequence of phoneme manipulation exercises which will build up the skills your daughter needs to be able to spell well.   Also make sure you read through the section of the book on Activities that Promote Orthographic Mapping.  https://equippedforreadingsuccess.com/

So here is a routine you can use that will work well.  You can choose your words from a Dolch high frequency word list (easily found on the web) or some other list of words at her spelling level.  

Every lesson go through some of the letter sounds presented in ABCD Level B1.  There is a template for a set of letter/sound cards that you can print out and laminate.  Go over about 4 or 5 each lesson.  Have her read the words on one side and practice until it is easy to read the words.  Then have her tell you the sound for just the underlined part.  Then have her write the individual spellings.  Identify each sound by its key word.  For example, say, “Write /ow/ as in ‘out.’   The cards with the key words should still be in the workspace for her to refer to.  Repeat as necessary until she can write all of the sounds in the lesson easily.  Then turn the cards over and have her say the individual speech sounds.

Focus on 4 or 5 words a lesson.  Before showing her the words, say them out loud and have her say the word in individual sounds.  She can make lines on a dry erase board, one for each sound  (e.g., ____  _____  ______ _____) or tap the sounds out on the table.  Do this for all 4 or 5 words.  Then show her the words.   Tell her the first word and ask her how various sounds or groups of sounds are written.  For example, if the word where “house,” ask, “How do we spell /ow/ in this word?  (ou).  How do we spell /s/ in this word?  (se).  How do we spell /ouse/ in this word (ouse).  How do we spell /how/ in this word?  (hou).  The word is visible to her as she answers the questions.  Repeat questions as necessary until she can answer all of the questions easily.  Then hide the word and have her make lines for each sound (___ ___ ___) and then have her write the letters that go with each sound on the lines.  Show her the correct spelling and have her self-correct.  If she makes a mistake, repeat the analysis task, focusing on the part that she missed and repeat writing the word from memory on the lines.  After she has done this for all 4 words, have her spell all of the words from memory.  Make sure to change the order of the words.

I would also recommend using a computer-based flash cards program called Anki.  This program uses spaced repetition for review.  This is the most efficient review schedule for locking things into long-term memory.  You don’t have to have your daughter use the program.  You can use it to dictate review words for her each lesson and have her write them.  To make the cards, you just have to put the word for both the front and the back, as you are the only one looking at the card, not your daughter.    Then you would note whether the words were easy, moderate, or difficult (there are different evaluation terms used as the words reach different levels of mastery).  This way, all the review schedule will be kept by the computer.  If a word is easy, it will be repeated at an increased interval of time.  If your daughter got it wrong, it will be repeated right away.

As she starts making progress, you can start having her copy and study sentences from books at her spelling level.  Help her pick an appropriate sentence and then go through the analysis of any difficult words.  Practice these words as above, and then have her write the whole sentence for dictation.  The words in the sentence don’t have to be words she has already studied.  The goal of the exercise is to start training the brain to pay attention at a finer level to what she is reading.

Don’t add many new words in a lesson until your daughter can start spelling the old words easily over several days.  And keep working on the phonemic manipulation exercises in the Equipped for Reading Success book, and continue to practice the vowel letter/sounds presented in ABCD Level B1.

That should give you a successful routine for instruction and study.

Happy Teaching!

Michael

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Wow, that's good customer service. 

Also Equipped for Reading Success is definitely worth the $$. I wish I'd bought it first. The other book is nice, but not a necessity. This one is a lot more practical. 

I was wondering how/if they differed. I'll be ordering it I guess 🙂

I already have his book on assessing and overcoming reading difficulties, but am such a Kilpatrick fan I don't mind getting this one too. 

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I was wondering how/if they differed. I'll be ordering it I guess 🙂

I already have his book on assessing and overcoming reading difficulties, but am such a Kilpatrick fan I don't mind getting this one too. 

I own both, Equipped is the one to buy if you are just buying one, it has a ton of practical exercises in it besides a bit of explanation.  Phonemic Awareness exercises AND nonsense word exercises!  

3 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

I own both, Equipped is the one to buy if you are just buying one, it has a ton of practical exercises in it besides a bit of explanation.  Phonemic Awareness exercises AND nonsense word exercises!  

Ok, so the Assessing book is more the theory, and Equipped is more the practical stuff it sounds like? I'm ordering now 🙂

• Like 1