Menu

CLE or Other Workbook Type Science?

I am looking for high school level science that is set up more like a workbook or CLE Light Unit. I can get my 8th grade son to read a science textbook, but doing a few pages of end of the chapter problems will probably overwhelm him, partially due to a negative experience with Novare Physical Science in 7th grade.  He is the type of boy who'd best enjoy reading a stack of books about a topic, but I'd like something with premade tests. So I was thinking perhaps a "get it done" type program as a spine, plus a workbook, and reading other books and writing occasional summaries about them.

Any ideas? I am open to any science subject. I am also open to combining various books and workbooks, as long as I can find tests made by someone else.

You might want to look at Master Books science courses.  The texts are quite interesting and they have General Science I (Ocean, Astronomy, Weather, and Mineral) and General Science II (Geology, Cave, Fossil, Archaelogy).  Since the workbook/teacher guides  with quizzes and tests are pretty inexpensive, you can mix and match which books you would like to do.  We switched to this after a dismal eight weeks struggling through Novare Introductory Physics.  If you want labs, they have suggestions on the website. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 11/21/2019 at 3:03 PM, JumpyTheFrog said:

I am looking for high school level science that is set up more like a workbook or CLE Light Unit. I can get my 8th grade son to read a science textbook, but doing a few pages of end of the chapter problems will probably overwhelm him, partially due to a negative experience with Novare Physical Science in 7th grade.  He is the type of boy who'd best enjoy reading a stack of books about a topic, but I'd like something with premade tests. So I was thinking perhaps a "get it done" type program as a spine, plus a workbook, and reading other books and writing occasional summaries about them.

Any ideas? I am open to any science subject. I am also open to combining various books and workbooks, as long as I can find tests made by someone else.

OP, can you elaborate on the negative experience with Novare PS in 7th grade?  I have that for my daughter to work through in 8th grade, but I have no experience with Novare or this particular text.

On 6/13/2020 at 9:46 AM, MamaHill said:

OP, can you elaborate on the negative experience with Novare PS in 7th grade?  I have that for my daughter to work through in 8th grade, but I have no experience with Novare or this particular text.

I thought the book was well written and laid out well. However, the tests were all short-answer and my son is writing resistant. In addition, I made the mistake of trying to have him use the book in a more traditional way, such as defining vocabulary in a notebook and answering the end of chapter questions. These are all reasonable things for typical students, but they were a huge mistake for my DS1. (I may have DS2 use the book when he is older.)

It's a shame, in my opinion, that it didn't work out because I really like the philosophy that Novare talked about on their website of having less content that is more important. I also liked that the book wasn't filled with a zillion sidebars, which I find distracting.

Edited by JumpyTheFrog

On 6/15/2020 at 11:41 AM, JumpyTheFrog said:

I thought the book was well written and laid out well. However, the tests were all short-answer and my son is writing resistant. In addition, I made the mistake of trying to have him use the book in a more traditional way, such as defining vocabulary in a notebook and answering the end of chapter questions. These are all reasonable things for typical students, but they were a huge mistake for my DS1. (I may have DS2 use the book when he is older.)

It's a shame, in my opinion, that it didn't work out because I really like the philosophy that Novare talked about on their website of having less content that is more important. I also liked that the book wasn't filled with a zillion sidebars, which I find distracting.

Thank you for sharing your experience with it!  The child that is going to use it is pretty used to the MP-style of answering questions in that manner, so I don't think that is going to be a challenge for her.

Now the sister coming after her?  Oh dear.  I'll have to go to plan B for her due to the writing component.

Thanks again 🙂