Menu

Cleaning With Steam

Spy Car

9 hours ago, vonbon said:

This is a very entertaining (and informative) thread!  Thanks!  😆

Bill, you've got a calling as a sales rep for this Neato gadget!   ...I'm still wondering if and how you're making a commission off of these WTM boards!  ?!  😄

ETA: M'Kay...I've read this entire thread and...wow!  That was both entertaining and convincing... I'm headed off to google the Neat!  Thanks!

LOL. Yeah, no commission. Boo hoo. I'm sure I've driven a few sales.  But these little units are great.

If you get one, I don't think you will regret it.

Bill

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, crazyforlatin said:

Can someone let me know if I can use this on wood floors? 
We just adopted a dog; I better make more of an effort in cleaning after her. 

Works great on wood floors. The primary reason I got one. Excellent.

But so multi-dimensional that floors are only a fraction of my current use.

For example, yesterday I did a fridge clean-out (OK I watched while my wife did it :tongue:) but down at the bottom of the floor when the drawer was removed there was a dark-sticky-solid residue of god-only-knows-what. Ick.

You ever get that? That crud will not come off without very serious scrubbing. It just won't.

Fired up the Neat. Blasted it clean in two minutes.

My hero!

Worth every penny. Literally.

Bill

• Like 2

I've been considering one for a while now.

I used to have a (cheaper) steamer that was a real pain. It took forever to heat up and often dripped water all over the place. The steam was very wet and drippy, and whatever you were cleaning needed to be cleaned regularly first, because it just got dust wet and pushed it around. 

Does this miracle device do any of that super-irritating stuff? Or is that all solved with this one?

20 hours ago, Spy Car said:

You won't get burned.

The best tip I have is that if you overfill the water (which is easy to do) pull on the trigger and that will suck up what remains in the overflow area.

Any specific questions/concerns?

Bill

ETA: One other tip. The very first bit of "steam" that''s released is "wet," so if you only want dry steam shoot that bit into a sink or rag (etc) to avoid wetness.

I’ll fire R2 up later and possibly send specific questions as I get to them.

it was some Amazon customer comments that got me worried about burns.

4 hours ago, Jentrovert said:

I've been considering one for a while now.

I used to have a (cheaper) steamer that was a real pain. It took forever to heat up and often dripped water all over the place. The steam was very wet and drippy, and whatever you were cleaning needed to be cleaned regularly first, because it just got dust wet and pushed it around. 

Does this miracle device do any of that super-irritating stuff? Or is that all solved with this one?

I have not timed the heat up time for a Neat (but thinking about 5-7 minutes) depending on how full.

The very first blast of "steam" is watery (which is why I've said to shoot it into a sink or towel if wetness is a negative) but after the first few seconds the steam is "dry." It does not drip water all over the place. Floors are very so slightly moist immediately after being steamed, but dry quickly (at least here in dry Los Angeles).

Mattresses or furniture can be streamed without them feeling "wet." The steam is pretty "dry."

I'd say problem solves (if 5 minutes or so doesn't qualify as a long time). One tank lasts a long time. That one boardy used 2 or more tanks in a cleaning session is evidence of compulsive cleaning behaviors. LOL. 

Bill 

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pen said:

I’ll fire R2 up later and possibly send specific questions as I get to them.

it was some Amazon customer comments that got me worried about burns.

I have accidentally brushed myself with the steam head. No burns. I don't advise testing it, but not dangerous in my estimation.

Fire that baby up and report back.

Bill

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

I have not timed the heat up time for a Neat (but thinking about 5-7 minutes) depending on how full.

The very first blast of "steam" is watery (which is why I've said to shoot it into a sink or towel if wetness is a negative) but after the first few seconds the steam is "dry." It does not drip water all over the place. Floors are very so slightly moist immediately after being steamed, but dry quickly (at least here in dry Los Angeles).

Mattresses or furniture can be streamed without them feeling "wet." The steam is pretty "dry."

I'd say problem solves (if 5 minutes or so doesn't qualify as a long time). One tank lasts a long time. That one boardy used 2 or more tanks in a cleaning session is evidence of compulsive cleaning behaviors. LOL. 

Bill 

Thank you! This helps a lot. With the other one, if I steamed a mattress it had to dry for hours. It is a lot more humid here, but I don't think the humidity would make *that* much difference. I'm inclined to think it was the machine.

I plan to get one. 😊

15 minutes ago, Jentrovert said:

Thank you! This helps a lot. With the other one, if I steamed a mattress it had to dry for hours. It is a lot more humid here, but I don't think the humidity would make *that* much difference. I'm inclined to think it was the machine.

I plan to get one. 😊

I think you will find the steam (first few seconds excepted) is pretty "dry." Obviously, steam is water vapor so there is some moisture. But after being steamed something like a mattress or couch still feels quite dry. Use a cloth to cover the triangular head that comes with the machine. It does make mattresses feel fresher. 

This is where having a close-to-professional level steamer really pays off. It does not just shoot out hot water and make a mess.

Bill (who is starting to think he might deserve a commission :tongue:)

• Thanks 1

Bill 

Okay I did a bunch of things with it. It’s good! no burns 😀

1) How do I turn it off?   Properly that is? 

(I unplugged it)

2) What do you do with your dog when it’s on? Mine seems a bit over interested unlike with vacuum cleaner which he keeps clear of. 

He does know “back” and “leave it” which I used. And then sent him out. 

3) Can wands ends be safely changed for different sorts of cleaning during one session? (How) They did seem quite hot. 

16 hours ago, Pen said:

Okay I did a bunch of things with it. It’s good! no burns 😀

1) How do I turn it off?   Properly that is? 

(I unplugged it)

2) What do you do with your dog when it’s on? Mine seems a bit over interested unlike with vacuum cleaner which he keeps clear of. 

He does know “back” and “leave it” which I used. And then sent him out. 

3) Can wands ends be safely changed for different sorts of cleaning during one session? (How) They did seem quite hot. 

To turn it "off" press the huge button on the side on the machine. It is the only button on the device. The one that lights up.

It is generally a bad idea to yank cords on devices while they are on (I think).

Bill

3 hours ago, Spy Car said:

To turn it "off" press the huge button on the side on the machine. It is the only button on the device. The one that lights up.

It is generally a bad idea to yank cords on devices while they are on (I think).

Bill

Nothing seemed to change when I pushed the power button .  It stayed lit up Green. 

Wha? Are you sure?

Push harder, If that doesn't turn off the machine then you have an issue.

Bill

Ok -  can’t check now, but I’ll get it back on later and try pushing  Hard!  next time.  

5 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

It happens all the time for me with the vacuum cleaner unintentionally and hasn't seemed to cause an issue (8 years and counting with the Miele and Shark I have) but this one is a heavier duty cord, so maybe that's different? 

Also, I want to go on record to say I'd have paid an additional $50 for it to have a retractable cord. The cord storage is the only non-optimal feature on this thing. 

I'd say two things are non-optimal. One is the cord reel being on the bottom (and manual) and the other is the hose being non-detachable. 

The hose thing is supposedly doing to change when they release a Neat II. Not sure about the cord.

Even with these non-optimal features, you could not pry this puppy out of my hands. No way.

I love it. 

Bill

Mine arrived yesterday!!!!  I'm looking forward to starting with it in my bathroom today - floors, toilet, walls, shower!  

Has anyone used the 'window' attachment for glass shower walls/doors?  Will the steamer get rid of the haziness on the glass, or will it need a cleaner sprayed on first?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acorn said:

Would it be possible to steam teenagers’ athletic shoes and shin guards? 

Sure. Why not?

For the shoes you'd just want to spray the very initial blast (a couple of seconds) into a towel or sink (etc) because--as I've mentioned previously--the very first release is a little wet. After that you could certainly spray shoes with the wand. Same with shin guards.

Bill

On 3/20/2020 at 8:37 AM, jen3kids said:

Has anyone used the 'window' attachment for glass shower walls/doors?  Will the steamer get rid of the haziness on the glass, or will it need a cleaner sprayed on first?

I used the window attachment without cleaner and it was fine.  Where I live now the water isn't hard.  Where I lived before hard water was a real challenge, so that might factor into your situation, I don't know for sure.

On 12/16/2019 at 3:43 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

One last question- do you drain all of the water out of it before you store it? 

I do.  I can't stand the thought of anything growing in there and then coming out in my steam.  Maybe the steam kills it, but it's no big deal to drain it since I don't have the retractable cord and put it on its side to wind the cord anyway.

11 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

I used the window attachment without cleaner and it was fine.  Where I live now the water isn't hard.  Where I lived before hard water was a real challenge, so that might factor into your situation, I don't know for sure.

We have hard water. Can you mix vinegar into the tank and use that to clean?

3 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

I do.  I can't stand the thought of anything growing in there and then coming out in my steam.  Maybe the steam kills it, but it's no big deal to drain it since I don't have the retractable cord and put it on its side to wind the cord anyway.

Realize that the water inside the boiler had been heated to the point where it creates steam. Nothing will live in that.

Then--any that's leftover--is sealed airtight.

Then--before it is used again-it is re-boiled to create steam.

I'd dare say there is less risk of the water inside the machine containing pathogens that there is in the tap water or bottled water that would go into replace it.

Bill

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Thank you.  DH used it on the shower wall and doors and while it took some scum off, the older, harder stuff is still there.  But - it's a huge improvement.  I think that if we sprayed the peroxide gel cleaner that I have, let it sit for a bit and then attacked with the steam cleaner, it would all come off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paige said:

Steam voids the warranty on some of our flooring. Are there settings so it could clean with hot but not quite steaming water so I can use it on all the floors?

Not on the Neat. There is no temperature setting. If you did the floors that were approved first (when the light was Green) the temperature would naturally drop (indicator light Amber) as you use up steam.

People do laminate floors without issues all the time (from my understanding).

I'd call Dupray and/or the manufacturer of the floors for more info.

I can't image that a quick pass over with a steam head would damage floors, especially with floor pads (or thick towels on the floor head), but ask. Floors barley get moist when being steam cleaned.

Bill