Menu

So what is everyone making for Thanksgiving?

MaBelle

Turkey and dressing, smoked pork loin, potatoes and sweet potatoes, corn casserole and green beans. Gravy. Apple salad. Homemade bread, Pumpkin, pecan, apple and cherry pies.  Wine.  Mimosas. 

This year no Hawaiian rolls, rice or peas. I'd love to have hoppin' John but no.  Trying to stay sane this year. 

• Like 1

I'll be making Asiago cheese bread, and a jello salad (fruit, jellos, cream cheese and whipping cream), and bringing either a bag of frozen broccoli from Costco or a bag of Kale Salad from Costco.  At least I assume that's the plan because that pretty much my standard for every holiday get together.  But we won't actually discuss plans till probably next Tuesday. We are not big on advance planning.

My mom makes the meat, stuffing and mashed potatoes.  One sibling is in charge of desserts and the other is in charge of beverages and brings and assortment of cheese.

Edited by cjzimmer1

We'll be at MiL's house, and she's not sure if she's doing a traditional spread or not. She's tossed out the idea of ordering pizza. (Whatever...the food there is always gross anyway.)

Regardless, I'm taking a pumpkin-cream cheese roll and a cranberry-apple crumble.  I need something to perk me up while I'm there. 

I'm making two meals that day for everyone coming in and leaving for work.  Split between them are:

Smoked turkey breast
Cranberry orange sauce
Apple pie

Meal 1 (more kid friendly):
Roasted butternut squash
Green beans sauteed with garlic
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Pumpkin pie and whipped cream

Meal 2 (mostly adults):
Stuffing
Roasted asparagus topped with balsamic and Parmesan cheese
Sweet potato gnocchi with a sage-butter sauce
Spinach salad with cranberries, feta, and almonds
Pumpkin pie
Pots de creme with raspberry sauce

I may add mashed potatoes to the second meal as well, but we'll see.  This is the first year I'm entirely in charge of carrying out the menu that's been planned.  As much as possible will be done ahead of time.

I am making too much since it will only be our family of 5, MIL, FIL, SIL, and nephew.

Turkey, dressing, dinner rolls, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, Brussels sprouts, pumpkin pies, key lime pie (at the request of my sons), and I am considering making a caramel apple piecaken.  I am also making a few appetizers to have around for snacking Ricotta-Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates, Stuffed Mushroom Dip, Pomegranate-Brie Phyllo Cups, and a veggie tray.  DD also wants to make caramel corn, but I think I will have her hold off and do that on the weekend.

It will only be the four of us this year so I’m spreading Thanksgiving out over several days so everyone can enjoy their faves.

This includes: greens and smoked ham hocks, cornbread dressing, stuffed mushrooms, twice baked potatoes, roasted game hens, ham, bacon-wrapped (fresh) green bean parcels, baked mac n’ cheese, and fresh rolls. For dessert, we will have chocolate cake, sweet potato pie, pecan pie, and a cranberry-apple crumble.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

We are going to Tantur (www.tantur.org) for an American Thanksgiving dinner. Usually I make turkey, a salad with lettuce/cukes/sugared almonds/mandarin oranges, mashies, gravy, crescent rolls, cranberry sauce, baked creamed corn, marshmallow-covered sweet potatoes, suped-up Stovetop, and pie. I don't eat the sweet potatoes or cranberry sauce or corn. 🤮

Edited by Chris in VA
  • Like 1

Okay... let me actually plan.

We all agreed on a slow cooker turkey breast (finished in the broiler for crispy skin). I'm excited for that because I hate the roasting of a giant turkey and I think this will make the meat more juicy and tender. It's similar to the recipe I use for chicken thighs and legs and those are so yum this way so hopefully. Trying something new, especially because it's just dh and the kid and I.

We'll probably do a big autumn salad... greens, cranberries, apples, toasted and spiced homemade pecans... as an early course and then return for the real meal later. Not sure yet.

Sides...

Yeast rolls (the only thing I buy premade)
Sweet potato casserole (brown sugar and pecan topping kind)
Cornbread and sausage dressing
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Cranberry sauce (as I just posted, I like it with a dash of cinnamon, ginger, and orange zest)
Roasted brussel sprouts

Desserts...

Chocolate Pecan Pie
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Ginger ice cream

4 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

For Thursday with the in-laws, some veggie side dishes. I’m not sure what. Also Cranbrosia or risk mutiny from my children. 

For Friday with my family, cornbread dressing, blueberry pie, layered pumpkin and cheesecake pie. 

What is cranbrosia?!?!?

We are going to my ILs. I’m bringing rolls, green beans, a sweet potato casserole, a large pie and a pumpkin-pie cake. I was asked to bring “a dessert”,  but one year we went and my PP cake plus some ice cream MIL dug out of the freezer was the ONLY dessert for two large families plus my in-laws.  There was no other pie/dessert. I don’t know what MIL was thinking. So I’m bring A LOT of dessert this time. 

49 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Dh, ds, ds’ gf, and her dad and I are going to Cracker Barrel this year.   I may do a couple desserts though for later with coffee.   

I am done cooking big dinners.  This year we're going to my moms, my nephew and his wife are hosting dinner at their house.  I may be going to cracker barrel in future years if we choose not travel.  My daughter in law has a huge family in town with a lot of tradtion.  I don't want to have her feel stressed about being at both families.  She can have thanksgiving with her family and we get Christmas day.  I'm good with that.  Cracker barrel may be our new tradition happening soon.

Turkey breast, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, jellied cranberry sauce, homemade rolls, green bean casserole and scalloped corn/broccoli casserole.  The broccoli is the new bit, so not sure who will join me on that. The preschool was selling pies, so I have a strawberry rhubarb pie and a blueberry pie to pick up Saturday.  Better have my mom be the hero and have a banana cream pie ready for them to stop by and enjoy.  lol 

I'll make leftovers for my mom and dad, as they don't want to come over or care if I bring dinner there on Tday.  Not sure if ds and family will be coming or not, or if other ds plans to stay home or go to my sister's house that day.  We're not big plan ahead people either. 

Christmas is moving to my house from my folks this year. My sister's been making lasagna for 20 the last couple years.  My kids are all asking if we can go back to having a real Christmas dinner this year.  😨  I was getting used  to easy.! lol

Edited by Tina

5 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I'm copying Farrar minus the struck through items, (well and I am doing two dressings- one corn bread, one sausage), turkey breast in the smoker and a whole ham, carrot soufflé, and a  potato casserole or maybe a smoked potato gratin in addition to the mashed potatoes. Haven't decided that part yet.

I am so completely not motivated right now and need to get my dumb grocery order in. Dh had a minor surgery yesterday, the kids have the cold I am just starting to get over from the last week and a half, and I was stuck in a time warp and thought I had an extra week until yesterday!! 

It’s sort of freaking me out that we’re doing the same meal. If we had more people coming, I’d do a ham. Also, now I’m thinking of doing carrots instead of brussel sprouts, lol.

• Like 1

We are hosting this year but that just means I have to clean and provide the turkeys. So, I'll be cooking two turkeys for our Sunday celebration. I'll also do roasted asparagus because if I don't the only green will be salad. 

Dh plans on making at least one pie but probably 2. Not sure what though

I'm making the dressing and gravy for 7 people at our gathering. Mil likes hers without eggs, so she gets a separate pan, and I get mother in law points. Also will make carrot cake and brownies. Mil I think will make sweet potatoes and greens and an aunt will bring homemade crescent rolls and fruit salad. Cranberry sauce will be jellied from a can. I made homemade a couple years ago, and it's not appreciated. I may do it anyway though.

Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy (bought from Trader Joe's), asparagus (if I can find some fresh that isn't too costly, yeah it's a spring vegetable but one of my kids loves the stuff and college dining hall vegetables are very ungood), roasted brussels sprouts, corn casserole, cranberry sauce (canned and homemade), mushroom soup (for my vegetarian), pumpkin pie with spray whipped cream, and some kind of cookie.   Maybe there will be mac and cheese. 

Dinner will be at my house. I was hoping for it just to be my own family, plus MIL, FIL, and SIL, but I had to be polite and let my family know that we weren't going to their town this year. The problem is that I was overly polite and said that people could join us, if they wanted, and now I have to host 20 people. It's fine, really. I was going to cook anyway, and everyone will bring something. But it won't be the lower key day I was hoping for.

I am actually cooking a turkey tomorrow, because I couldn't resist buying an extra one, with the price so low. I'll divide this one up and freeze the meat for later, make stock with the carcass, and save the drippings to make the gravy a day early next week for the real holiday.

On Thanksgiving, I'm cooking the turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, and perhaps a chocolate chip cheesecake. Also a spiral cut ham, which I will put in the crock pot, to keep my oven free for the rest, as well as cranberry rolls (family favorite) and regular dinner rolls (using frozen dough). Others will bring sweet potatoes, green beans, salad, veggie and fruit trays, a couple of mystery items that I haven't been told about yet, pumpkin pies, and some other unspecified desserts. I will probably put out cheese and crackers.

https://rhodesbakenserv.com/cranberry-cream-cheese-pull-aparts/

This is the cranberry roll recipe that I use.

I'm doing the turkey this year because I recently acquired a smoker. Sweet new toy for me. North Alabama white sauce instead of gravy for the turkey.

My mom will make the cornbread dressing.

Thinking about cold smoking some cheddar and Velveeta and making cheese grits.

Sister Schubert's rolls.

Squash casserole, sweet potato casserole (with strudel topping---no marshmallows here lol), green bean casserole. ALL THE CASSEROLES. 

Canned cranberry sauce, pickle tray-- "Wickles", bread and butter, pickled okra, etc. 

Edited by popmom

• Turkey, spatchcocked, dry brined and grilled
  • Ham
  • Cornbread dressing
  • Fresh sage bread dressing
  • Sweet potato casserole
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Gravy
  • Macaroni and cheese
  • Broccoli rice casserole
  • Green bean casserole
  • Asparagus vinaigrette
  • Yeast Rolls
  • Pumpkin pie
  • Apple pie
  • Pecan pie

And I guess a salad for me, since I am eating vegan for a few more weeks

Thanksgiving with extended family is on Wednesday, and we're having Moes catering of a tacos and fajitas bar. I will be making an apple pie cake. It gets moister with time, so I'll make it the day before. Here's the recipe:

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/easy-apple-cake/2fd48290-c1ba-4d8a-a881-93f93c9e6b4

I'm still working on Thursday's menu for the four of us. I've already picked up turkey breast tenderloins to cook. I know I'll make a broccoli casserole they love. Ds will want Stove Top stuffing because he LOVES it. I'll make a dairy free pumpkin pie recipe that is super. I've got to talk to the family and see what else they want. 

Edited by mom31257