Menu

Another spelling resource I found

ktgrok

My dyslexic DD made huge progress in reading using Abecedarian. Huge! But she's still struggling with spelling. AAS is helping, and the way it works with no tests, etc is good for her confidence, but just like AAR helped but wasn't enough, AAS helps but isn't enough. In desperation I did some google research and found that although Abecedarian doesn't make a spelling program other than their advanced level C supplement, the method Abecedarian uses - Phonographix - DOES have a spelling program! So I just ordered it, and am hopeful it will help in some way. I'll be sure to update after we use it for a bit. 

https://shop.phono-graphix.com/Super-Speller-print-option-SSprint.htm

(phonographix is a research backed method of instruction that is similar to yet quite distinct from O-G methods)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

My dyslexic DD made huge progress in reading using Abecedarian. Huge! But she's still struggling with spelling. AAS is helping, and the way it works with no tests, etc is good for her confidence, but just like AAR helped but wasn't enough, AAS helps but isn't enough. In desperation I did some google research and found that although Abecedarian doesn't make a spelling program other than their advanced level C supplement, the method Abecedarian uses - Phonographix - DOES have a spelling program! So I just ordered it, and am hopeful it will help in some way. I'll be sure to update after we use it for a bit. 

https://shop.phono-graphix.com/Super-Speller-print-option-SSprint.htm

(phonographix is a research backed method of instruction that is similar to yet quite distinct from O-G methods)

That looks really interesting!  I have several students who it seems like it would be a good fit for, several of them are using Abecedarian.

3 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

That looks really interesting!  I have several students who it seems like it would be a good fit for, several of them are using Abecedarian.

I'll let you know what I think. Abecedarian was just so game changing for her - it really just hit the sweet spot so I'm hopeful. We did add in the spelling rules, but for the most part that was what worked. We did Short A, then B1 and B2 and then paused to work on fluency and just having her her read a lot. Now we are in level C and it is going well. There is definitely a gap between B2 and C in my opinion, and the author did suggest pausing between them to have the student do a lot of reading. He also highly suggests QuickReads for reading material, which we actually were already using. Great decodable non fiction that you can find used. (you are probably already familiar with them, but for anyone else - they are great. Higher interest but at all different reading levels)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, domestic_engineer said:

@Ktgrok  I was wondering if you've used the phonographix yet with your DD.  if so, what are your thoughts on the program?  Thus far I'm appreciating Abecedarian's reading program (short A and B1) and wondering about spelling in the near-isn future for my dyslexic kiddo.

We hit a roadblock because the sorting pages don't have the right number of lines for each group. Which drove her up a wall. We switched to working mostly on typing but with phonics in it, using touch, type, read and spell. Will re-evaluate next year. 

• Thanks 1