Menu

Good books about, or set in, France

Innisfree

Does anyone know a good memoir or possibly fiction set in France? I'd love to find some appealing books for dd17, who is studying French and dreaming of possible study abroad in college.

I've read On Rue Tatin and enjoyed it, and I see some other memoirs related to cooking, like Mastering the Art of French Eating. Dd isn't very interested in food, though, and I wondered if anyone could suggest some other, more general possibilities.

In case it's helpful, dd has loved Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce books. A set of mysteries might work, but nothing really scary-- no psychological thrillers, lol. But also, if there's anything like a French classic equivalent to Anne of Green Gables, or The Penderwicks, that might be good-- sort of cozy French adolescent fiction, but available in English. Or maybe with a historical bent, as she also loves Latin and Roman history. 

I'll be very grateful for any suggestions.

Edited by Innisfree

Thank you!

She has read Asterix. I did think about getting them in French, but I don't think she's ready to figure out the puns in a language she's just started. Not much of a Harry Potter fan, sadly. Fantasy does not seem to be her cup of tea.

I'll check out the books you linked. At first glance, they look like she might really enjoy them.

• Like 1

In the past few years I've read quite a bit of French literature/literature set in France.  (In English -- my French is still at the beginner level.)

The Three Musketeers

The Man in the Iron Mask

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

The Song of Roland  -- ancient French poetry.  I enjoyed it, but I realize that many won't.

Cyrano de Bergerac -- a French play -- highly recommended, especially for anyone who likes Shakespeare.

The Phantom of the Opera

Les Miserables

Scaramouche -- similar to The Three Musketeers, but it much shorter and I found it more accessible.

The Scarlet Pimpernel -- on my list to be read

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Desiree by Annemarie Selinko (trans. from German)  is historical fiction about a French girl who became a girlfriend of Napoleon (pre-Josephine), eventually married a Marshall of France, and, because her husband was adopted as heir by the Swedish king, ended up queen of Sweden.  There are some historical inaccuracies, but it's enjoyable reading and appropriate for a teen.

Edited by klmama
  • Thanks 1

YA... Anna and the French Kiss sounds like it might be the book you want. A total YA study abroad light romance book.

I can think of things... but nothing that's necessarily just right. Often these lists aren't great, but the Goodreads "shelf" of popular books tagged as "set in France" actually has a lot of variety. I thought of All the Light You Cannot See... beautiful book. And that Edward Rutherford book about Paris... he writes long, quick read historical epics. Very light but thick. And A Year in Provence. None of these seem exactly right, but maybe you can browse through...
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/books-set-in-france

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Adding more. DS went to a talk at the American library recently by an author that writes YA set in Paris, I don’t know anything about her except this and her name, Amy Plum. 
Eta that this is not a book but there is a french show in Netflix (it’s called Ten Percent in France and Call my agent in US Netflix)....my own french is crap and I’m able to watch with French subtitles (no English subtitles avail here but DH tells me it has English subtitles in the US). It’s charming and easy and cute and it’s improving my french, I fancy.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Thanks 1

How about Peter Mayle's A Year in Provence?

If she can read at a basic level in French, there is a historical fiction series by Evelyne Brisou-Pellen called Les Messagers du temps that she might like.

Here's the first in the series: https://www.amazon.fr/Messagers-temps-Rendez-vous-Alésia/dp/2070617971

Edited by bibiche
  • Thanks 1