Menu

What's with the ads?

My ds is applying for the humanities scholars program, which would give him fancy dinners with faculty every month. Only 18 sophomores get it. I just wanted to share his essay because I thought it was awesome. He finds out in a month. Crossing fingers.

Deleted. 

no_photo.png

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 4

On 11/23/2019 at 7:52 AM, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Oh no, I missed seeing the essay before you deleted.

I've LOVED following your son's journey over the past few years. 

Aw, you are sweet. I'll post it again -- I just don't want to keep it up as it is his. The prompt: "If you could have all incoming MIT freshman read one book, what would it be and why?"  He choose Stanislaw Lem's Fiasco. 🙂 

Deleted

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow, Ruth. I hope my daughter builds up to essays of that standard.

One thing that I really love is that your son obviously shows you his essays and still involves you in his education, albeit in a different sort of role. I hope I manage that with my daughter too.

You two are an inspiration to me.

• Like 2

He was really proud of it, but wanted my feedback on the book summary.  He wanted to make sure that someone who hadn't read the book, could understand what he was saying. I did suggest he change one sentence.  🙂  He also called the night before he wrote it to ask me to help him interpret the prompt. He basically wanted to know if it was writing about the book or about the idea.  I suggested the idea, but not sure if I was right! There were 3 other prompts he could have chosen, so I told him that they would get all sorts of different essays, so not to worry if he interpreted it in a different way than others. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

You two are an inspiration to me.

This is really sweet. 😘

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 6:58 AM, 4KookieKids said:

Wow, that really is good!

Here's hoping it is good enough to get him into the scholars program. 🙂  The prof he chose for his recommendation was the one who said that his research paper was "the best student paper I have read in a number of years."  All this from a boy who learned to write English essays by writing math proofs for AoPS.  If he gets it, I should write them a thank you. 🙂 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 1