Menu

2019 edition ~ Have you encountered a unique gift? Post it here..

Kareni

For the Auburn fan in your life (and if you don't have one, perhaps you should enlarge your circle of friends), the words of the late, great Rod Bramblett (the voice of the Auburn Tigers, who died in a car accident this year) as he called the greatest play ever in the Iron Bowl 6 years ago, immortalized as art.  I have a version of this for my brother and his family.  If you don't live in the South, the game was tied and headed into overtime until Alabama griped about a call to get one second put back on the clock so they could try a 56-yard field goal.  The field goal missed, but AU had put speedy Chris Davis in the end zone, and he returned the missed field goal 109 yards, from the back of the end zone, for a touchdown to win the game with no time on the clock, 34-28.  Many people donated $109 to a gofundme for Rod's children (his wife also died in the car accident) in recognition of his call.  It is not uncommon for Auburn fans to watch a game on TV muted so they can hear the call on their radios (or computers, more likely), so a lot of people heard Rod's call it even though they were watching on TV.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, plansrme said:

For the Auburn fan in your life (and if you don't have one, perhaps you should enlarge your circle of friends), the words of the late, great Rod Bramblett (the voice of the Auburn Tigers, who died in a car accident this year) as he called the greatest play ever in the Iron Bowl 6 years ago, immortalized as art.  I have a version of this for my brother and his family.  If you don't live in the South, the game was tied and headed into overtime until Alabama griped about a call to get one second put back on the clock so they could try a 56-yard field goal.  The field goal missed, but AU had put speedy Chris Davis in the end zone, and he returned the missed field goal 109 yards, from the back of the end zone, for a touchdown to win the game with no time on the clock, 34-28.  Many people donated $109 to a gofundme for Rod's children (his wife also died in the car accident) in recognition of his call.  It is not uncommon for Auburn fans to watch a game on TV muted so they can hear the call on their radios (or computers, more likely), so a lot of people heard Rod's call it even though they were watching on TV.

There is this insane play that similarly ended the game the RIGHT WAY in 1982.  It was the Big Game, Cal Bears vs. Stanford trees, and it involved a tuba player that accidentally went onto the field before the end.  It is immortalized in a shirt that I have, with it written out like a playbook diagram, and titled “I remember The Play.”  

And someone posted footage of this, years later.  

• Like 1

I posted this in another thread, but I just bought a tween relative a Bluetooth slouch beanie. I didn't even know these existed until Amazon suggested it to me, lol. (So maybe not unique, haha, but its new to me!)

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Beanie-Fashion-Speaker-Christmas/dp/B07VMFPCHG/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=ya_aw_od_pi

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

... a Bluetooth slouch beanie. I didn't even know these existed until Amazon suggested it to me, lol. (So maybe not unique, haha, but its new to me!)

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Beanie-Fashion-Speaker-Christmas/dp/B07VMFPCHG/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=ya_aw_od_pi

It was new to me, too, alisoncooks, so thanks for posting!

Regards,

Kareni

6 hours ago, happi duck said:

For anyone who ever gets frustrated with their computer:  keyboard slam laptop case!

https://society6.com/product/keyboard-slam_laptop-sleeve?sku=s6-10861853p45a58v428

Very nifty, happy duck! Thanks for sharing.

19 hours ago, Stacia said:

Not too long ago, I went to a concert of singer Sarah Aili. I ended up getting a bracelet from her. The cool thing is that the beads on it spell out "My Heart is Listening" in Morse Code. It's pretty & unique, imo. In a newsletter I received from her, she said, " *In your note at purchase, please include the name of the person you're gifting and I'll send along a handwritten note as well!"

http://www.sarahaili.com/store

What a snazzy bracket, Stacia! I wasn't familiar with the artist so listened to one of her songs; she's quite talented. I bet you had fun at the concert.

Regards,

Kareni

11 hours ago, plansrme said:

For the Auburn fan in your life (and if you don't have one, perhaps you should enlarge your circle of friends), the words of the late, great Rod Bramblett (the voice of the Auburn Tigers, who died in a car accident this year) as he called the greatest play ever in the Iron Bowl 6 years ago, immortalized as art

What a neat poster, plansrme; I hope your brother and his family enjoy it!

11 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

There is this insane play that similarly ended the game the RIGHT WAY in 1982.  It was the Big Game, Cal Bears vs. Stanford trees, and it involved a tuba player that accidentally went onto the field before the end.  It is immortalized in a shirt that I have, with it written out like a playbook diagram, and titled “I remember The Play.”  

And someone posted footage of this, years later...

I'm not (shh...) a football fan, but even I got caught up in the excitement watching that footage. Thanks for sharing the link, Carol!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Antique ‘Poker Dice’ from eBay.  Eldest loves poker, vintage items, and display items.  This particular set comes in a lucite case, often they come in a leather carrier.  

I am particularly happy since finding the fun gift for this young adult male is getting harder and harder.

Edited by Familia
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Familia said:

Antique ‘Poker Dice’ from eBay.  Eldest loves poker, vintage items, and display items.  This particular set comes in a lucite case, often they come in a leather carrier.  

I am particularly happy since finding the fun gift for this young adult male is getting harder and harder.

This sounds like a wonderful gift for your son, Familia. Do you happen to have a picture to share?

Regards,

Kareni

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

This sounds like a wonderful gift for your son, Familia. Do you happen to have a picture to share?

Regards,

Kareni

The other sides of dice have the typical pips in addition to suit icons.  Lots of resources for how to play are online.

image.jpeg

Edited by Familia
  • Like 6

Any shirt from https://birdsarentreal.com/.

DS16 sent me a text, "Can you get this shirt for me?" The logo was Birds Aren't Real. "Huh?" says I.

Turns out it is an "organization" that is a parody on the Flat Earth Society, the No One Landed On the Moon Society, etc. Go to the link, read the history. Bottom line, there are no real birds left, they are all artificial surveillance drones courtesy of the government. It's hilarious.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, linders said:

Any shirt from https://birdsarentreal.com/.

DS16 sent me a text, "Can you get this shirt for me?" The logo was Birds Aren't Real. "Huh?" says I.

Turns out it is an "organization" that is a parody on the Flat Earth Society, the No One Landed On the Moon Society, etc. Go to the link, read the history. Bottom line, there are no real birds left, they are all artificial surveillance drones courtesy of the government. It's hilarious.

In skimming the history, I was waiting to see mention of Tom Lehrer's Poisoning Pigeons in the Park as that would have fit right in.

I hope your son enjoys his shirt! Thanks for posting, linders.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Well, the Manx kitten pick-up seems to have fallen apart, but I found TWO Japanese Bobtails! I go to Denver on Monday, maybe coming home with a kitten...or two... 

Get two! I actually find two easier than one, bc they want to play so much. 

Obviously, we expect pics. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Speaking of mugs, I desperately want this

one.

4 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

they have some cute stuff for Frasier fanatics.

They do indeed! I hope you get your mug, Thatboyofmine.

Some fun mug finds ~

Oxford Comma Mug

My daughter would like this one: THE BLANKETS HAVE ACCEPTED ME AS ONE OF THEIR OWN Mug

For you @StaciaCrocodile reading Mug

Brick Mug

Stick figure anatomy Mug

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Not sure how unique it is, and it is very expensive, but I got my husband a komado grill.  It is like the big green egg thing you see advertised.  I did some "homework" and got the one I think is best for us (and has a lifetime warranty.)

He has been talking about this dang thing for 8 years but doesn't want to spend the $$ (or won't spend it on himself).    My son suggested we get one for him.

Costco has a traveling roadshow and they had them there.  I got one yesterday.  The guys loaded it, the neighbor said I could put it in his garage, so my neighbor wanted to show off and unload it himself! 😂  That was a bit entertaining as it is 200 pounds.

Anyway, I plan to wrap up a couple of pieces of charcoal and put them under the tree and make them from Santa for being bad and then direct him to the neighbor's garage somehow for the rest of the gift.

He is going to be so surprised.  I hate even having to wait 11 more days to give it to him!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

Speaking of papercut, I love this Etsy artist: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SarahTrumbauer

She has some beautiful pieces! Thanks for sharing the link, Mercy.

On 12/15/2019 at 8:19 PM, WendyLady said:

Found this little gem today - I may get it for dd’s stocking - looks handy!

Nail polish holder

That does indeed look handy, WendyLady. I could see it being a great gift to combine with some nail polish.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Did your mother or grandmother have Blue Ware for fancy meals? Here is today's version - Calamityware! It is hilarious! There are multiple collections. Be the fun grandma/grandpa/crazy aunt.  When I was little one of my grandmothers had a beautiful cut-crystal juice glass that fit in with her style - but was also a dribble glass with a small hole in one or more of the crystal cuts. This is the kind of humor I grew up with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, SusanC said:

Did your mother or grandmother have Blue Ware for fancy meals? Here is today's version - Calamityware! It is hilarious! There are multiple collections. Be the fun grandma/grandpa/crazy aunt.  When I was little one of my grandmothers had a beautiful cut-crystal juice glass that fit in with her style - but was also a dribble glass with a small hole in one or more of the crystal cuts. This is the kind of humor I grew up with.

Those are so awesome. I love all the things on their website. I could easily gift many of them and just as easily keep many for myself!

• Like 2