Menu

Transcript wise/admissions wise....

Is there much point in taking AP Classes senior year only?  

I'm thinking ahead for next year.  We have some great classes at one school (paid homeschool class situation with certified teachers not sure what you'd call it but not a co-op really) and also a really good writing class available at another available to my dd for next year.  There are more slim pickings for senior year, so she will have to take a few online classes, and isn't super excited about community college (the commute, and the fact that having two different schedules means you can't travel or have time off.) ...

I would be interested in her taking AP Modern European History and AP English Literature or maybe AP Art Studio.  She would do well with both.  Not sure how well she would do with an online class, and we'd definitely try to find one that met twice per week and had timely teacher feedback.

But for now, I am just wondering if it really makes a difference what we put on the senior year transcript....?

Edited by Calming Tea

As far as transcript/admission: An AP class would show up on the transcript when applying. If AP classes/tests are important to the college(s) the student is applying to, then just having the AP class on the transcript *might* help. [The test(s) would not help, as the student would have already completed the admissions process and chosen a school by the time the AP tests happened in May of the senior year.]

The only other thing that might be of benefit is that a good AP score might grant credit at a future college, or show the student working at an advanced level to open doors to Honors program, or getting into higher level classes as a freshman in college. [But again, that would be after-the-fact of testing, and would not assist with admissions.]

I personally would not bother with the AP classes in History or Eng. Lit. unless those particular topics -- and the material to be covered on the syllabus of either course -- was of high interest to the student. I would instead consider gearing the student's final year of classes around the student's interests and what would help the student prepare for college/career. JMO! BEST of luck in planning for next year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Calming Tea said:

Thanks Lori D.  It's always good to gain perspective.  
I guess with her future major being art, she should be doing more art, so maybe we will just look into her taking AP Studio Art.  🙂

Unless the content of the AP Modern European History and/or AP Literature classes would be of high interest to her, I tend to agree. Getting into a quality Fine Arts program is usually more about your skill and craft in your art (whether it be digital art, photography, painting, dance, theater, etc.), and not so much about APs.

At least, that's the way I see it working out a lot of the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

you will be reporting which courses the students takes in senior year. Taking AP classes demonstrates rigor.

OTOH, I would never choose a class only so it can look good on the transcript. There have to be other motivations.

There are...dd is starting to run out of classes available to her locally.  CC's aren't really convenient and she'd also have scheduling issues which affect vacations, college visits and visits to and from relatives as well as just getting a break.  So we really will need to fill in and I figured we should look at one or two AP courses since she's doing very well with some hefty academic courses which are time consuming and in depth.  I don't plan to have her take the AP test though. 

But, she could also just take some electives through Monarch and I assign projects and writing assignments which are very worthwhile and grade using a rubric, so they have some merit and are college prep with additions.  With some finagling she could do a mix of one homeschool class center, another one for English, and some Monarch courses and still have a well rounded transcript and actually learn things. So we have to weight the pros and cons of the expense as well as the extra time and learning investment of choosing an AP course or two in the mix

I've always heard that AP Studio Art is a serious commitment. But she will probably be compiling a portfolio anyway, so that's something to consider. If it was my kid, I'd ask myself if what she got out of it would be worth what she was going to put in. Since she's headed toward an arts major anyway, right? Then does she really need that credit? And mightn't there be more challenging individual skills she could try out instead? And colleges *like* seeing specialized skills that are clearly driven by her own interests and desires on a transcript too! They see plenty of AP courses. On the other hand, would the rigorous process of AP Studio Art help prep her for college and drive her toward honing her own work?

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1