Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

The Crown Season 3

Anyone else watching? I have really enjoyed the new actresses/actors, and am pleasantly surprised. I'm through 6 episodes so far, and have done a lot of googling as I was ignorant of many of the events, like Aberfan. 

Was curious if anyone else was watching and what you thought of the transition over from the younger characters to the now middle aged ones as well as the storylines? 

• Like 1

I forgot it was out already.  I've been watching the old Davy Crockett miniseries on Disney+.  I'll watch it over the next few evenings.  I'm sure there are plenty of things I didn't know either.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Anyone else watching? I have really enjoyed the new actresses/actors, and am pleasantly surprised. I'm through 6 episodes so far, and have done a lot of googling as I was ignorant of many of the events, like Aberfan. 

Was curious if anyone else was watching and what you thought of the transition over from the younger characters to the now middle aged ones as well as the storylines? 

I’m having the same reaction.  Easy transition to all the new actors, have to google some of the events, but I’m only on ep 3.  I’m enjoying it just as much as season 1 and 2.  

• Like 1

I’m watching now, on episode 4. I’ve really enjoyed it so far. It’s been interesting to google various events. Aberfan was such a terrible tragedy. 

• Like 1

Loving it. The new cast is fabulous. Princess Anne seems a bit of an older casting and I was glad to finally see Andrew and Edward a bit. So good. 

• Like 1

I've watched through ep 6.  some of the actors I like, other's are "meh".

there are definitely misrepresentations.  (Lord Mountbatten was approached about a coup - he refused to participate.)  

While Princess Alice never did an interview, she did come back to live at Buckingham Palace because of the unrest in Greece.  I figured "an interview" was their way to telling her story - it was her history.   She's actually buried in Israel, on the Mt. of Olives.   I admit I did get a chuckle of the police berating the pawn broker for thinking she was fencing jewels.  She was an extraordinary woman.  Philip said in the early years of his marriage to Elizabeth - he was on the receiving end of disrespectful comments from courtiers (they treated him as a "nobody) - which he found ironic considering his mother was born in Windsor Castle.

I watched an "over wales" - and it delved into Aberfan. it showed the coal tip remains, the village, and the memorial to those who died. Terrible tragedy.

• Like 1

My mother told me about the morning that Aberfan was on the news. She went out to her local shops and everyone was silent. It was as if the whole country was shocked and in mourning.

• Sad 3

I am all the way up to the last episode which I will watch tonight.  I watched seasons one and two last week to catch up so when I started season 3 I found the actor transition a bit jarring.   I am used to it now that I am so far in.  I am cancelling Netflix tomorrow so I had to finish quickly.

I think the transition to the older characters makes sense and I like the new characters.  But I think it does give a different quality to the  characters.  Or maybe I just prefer the first queen.  I like the new Prince Phillip better than the old one.  But I am so sure about Oliva Colemen over Claire Foy.   

I’m also enjoying it, but I do prefer the previous queen. Olivia Coleman as the queen so rarely smiles! The episode in which she tours France and America learning about new horse breeding techniques is the only one in which she seemed happy at all. I also wish we’d see more of the children, especially Andrew and Edward. 

Edited by Gobblygook

2 minutes ago, Gobblygook said:

I’m also enjoying it, but I do prefer the previous queen. Olivia Coleman as the queen so rarely smiles! The episode in which she tours France and America learning about new horse breeding techniques is the only one in which she seemed happy at all. 

That's it.  She comes across as rather dour and angry.  

• Like 1

I've seen a couple episodes. I LOVE the actress who is playing Princess Margaret.  The actress playing Queen Elizabeth is a comedian/comic actress and I just can't get into her as the Queen. She just makes me laugh. Maybe that's a good thing. 😉

I'm Canadian, so our Royal Family has made me laugh many times over the years. I just never expected a "serious" mini-series to be this funny. 😂

I watched the first 2 episodes Sunday night. I could have watched more but I didn't want to be done too soon. Dh works swing shift tonight so I'll watch 2 or 3 more. I'm enjoying it as much as the first 2 seasons and found the transition to the new actors to be easy. Even with only watching 2 I did some googling already. I can't wait for dh to leave so I can be alone to watch lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

My mother told me about the morning that Aberfan was on the news. She went out to her local shops and everyone was silent. It was as if the whole country was shocked and in mourning.

Apparently filming it was difficult for all involved but people from the area were willing to help.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/nov/17/television-drama-the-crown-portrays-aberfan-disaster

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

I've seen a couple episodes. I LOVE the actress who is playing Princess Margaret.  The actress playing Queen Elizabeth is a comedian/comic actress and I just can't get into her as the Queen. She just makes me laugh. Maybe that's a good thing. 😉

I'm Canadian, so our Royal Family has made me laugh many times over the years. I just never expected a "serious" mini-series to be this funny. 😂

I didn't know that! I had only seen her before in Broadchurch. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I didn't know that! I had only seen her before in Broadchurch. 

She's an extremely skilled actress who can play both comedy and drama. 

• Like 3

I did not even realize season 3 was out!  I will save that for when we get in the new house.  

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

She's an extremely skilled actress who can play both comedy and drama. 

I know she's excellent, but when you've been binge watching her comedy shows then seeing her as Queen Elizabeth it's mentally tough to switch the mindset.

Comedic actors can do drama, but very rarely does it transfer from drama to comedy. I value comedy over drama, personally. 😉

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I know she's excellent, but when you've been binge watching her comedy shows then seeing her as Queen Elizabeth it's mentally tough to switch the mindset.

Comedic actors can do drama, but very rarely does it transfer from drama to comedy. I value comedy over drama, personally. 😉

Have you seen The Favorite? I haven't but I did see her Oscar acceptance speech for it. She seemed genuinely surprised. "Got an Oscar" lol

It's on my list of movies to watch eventually.

Edited by Lady Florida.

Question about the current season (I haven’t started it yet): last season there was one episode that definitely earned its MA rating. Anything like that this season I need to be aware of? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Have you seen The Favorite? I haven't but I did see her Oscar acceptance speech for it. She seemed genuinely surprised. "Got an Oscar" lol

It's on my list of movies to watch eventually.

Highly recommended

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

Question about the current season (I haven’t started it yet): last season there was one episode that definitely earned its MA rating. Anything like that this season I need to be aware of? 

Yes I would like to know too.  It was awkward when I recommended the series to my mom and then 'episode' came up.  

I assume we are talking about the episode that was about Margaret's husband.  I had forgotten about that episode when I was re-watching the first two seasons, and when it popped up, I fastforwarded through most of that one.  Of the episodes I have watched, I haven't seen anything like that so far.  

ETA: The episode where Margaret and her husband go to Washington and party with LBJ, they tell a couple of dirty jokes, but I think that's as explicit as it really gets.  (Though I admit I might have fallen asleep in the middle of at least one episode lol)

Edited by happysmileylady
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I assume we are talking about the episode that was about Margaret's husband.  I had forgotten about that episode when I was re-watching the first two seasons, and when it popped up, I fastforwarded through most of that one.  Of the episodes I have watched, I haven't seen anything like that so far.  

ETA: The episode where Margaret and her husband go to Washington and party with LBJ, they tell a couple of dirty jokes, but I think that's as explicit as it really gets.  (Though I admit I might have fallen asleep in the middle of at least one episode lol)

quite dirty.   and apparently, that was right up LBJ's alley . . . . (from other sources, he had quite the potty mouth)

some of the aberfan disaster was rather graphic, and I could see a sensitive person having a hard time with it.

• Like 2

Okay, I have to ask-- is it just me, or does the guy who plays Parker-Bowles (Andrew Buchan) remind anyone else of Pete Buttegieg?!? (And this is in no way political- I just can't see this guy without picturing "Mayor Pete" nor can I see the actress playing Camilla as anyone but nurse Patsy on Call the Midwife to the point of distraction). I really wish we could post pics here, as I'd do a side by side for you!! 

• Like 1

I finished!! No other racy scenes, which made me happy. I think that one last season was......unneeded to say the least. Nothing like it at all for season 3-  I really enjoyed it. Helena Bonham Carter is amazing, as always. The last couple of episodes, she stole the show. Although the young man playing Charles was great too- I never expected to have sympathy for Charles, but his depiction was honestly thought and sympathy invoking. Two thumbs up. Now a long wait for season 4!! 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I finished!! No other racy scenes, which made me happy. I think that one last season was......unneeded to say the least. Nothing like it at all for season 3-  I really enjoyed it. Helena Bonham Carter is amazing, as always. The last couple of episodes, she stole the show. Although the young man playing Charles was great too- I never expected to have sympathy for Charles, but his depiction was honestly thought and sympathy invoking. Two thumbs up. Now a long wait for season 4!! 

hopefully not as long.  they have been busy filming season 4 for months.

I also thought the actor playing Charles was good.  he was a sensitive little boy, and Philip had wished he'd been more of a go-getter - like anne.  (charlotte seems to be quite outgoing.)  that really came out in season 2 with which school he was sent do, that was quite the misfit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I never expected to have sympathy for Charles, but his depiction was honestly thought and sympathy invoking. Two thumbs up. Now a long wait for season 4!! 

They started building that sympathy for Charles last season with the episodes about his schooling. From one of the trailers I watched I can see how we would have sympathy for him.  I'm 5 episodes in. I watched 3 more last night and finished the one about the coup and Mountbatten. I'm trying to drag it out because I don't want to be through with it too soon. 🙂 

Not necessarily related to The Crown but during the Diana days I used to think his relationship with Camilla was awful. I still think cheating on a spouse is horrible but I didn't know back then that she was really his first love and he probably would have married her if he had been allowed to. Her lack of royal blood iirc was what prevented them from marrying.

1 minute ago, Lady Florida. said:

They started building that sympathy for Charles last season with the episodes about his schooling. From one of the trailers I watched I can see how we would have sympathy for him.  I'm 5 episodes in. I watched 3 more last night and finished the one about the coup and Mountbatten. I'm trying to drag it out because I don't want to be through with it too soon. 🙂 

Not necessarily related to The Crown but during the Diana days I used to think his relationship with Camilla was awful. I still think cheating on a spouse is horrible but I didn't know back then that she was really his first love and he probably would have married her if he had been allowed to. Her lack of royal blood iirc was what prevented them from marrying.

She comes off as sort of a .....player, I guess is how to put it as far as the show is concerned, so I wonder how much of it had to do with the lack of royal blood or instead the potential for scandal. I don't know if it's a show portrayal for drama points, or was the same IRL, but she didn't seem anywhere near as devoted to Charles as he was to her- seemed more like she and Parker Bowles had sort of a toxic thing going, so it would be easy to see her as a non-trustworthy/volatile person to add to mix, in a group already abounding with crazy people, LOL. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Yeah!  that one episode made me so mad.  They didn't have to handle it that way.  Other series do stuff like that all the time and that is fine.  But this show had not and was SO completely out of character.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Camilla was chasing her first husband for several years.  (can't imagine why- he was quite the philanderer.) she was using Charles to make him jealous.  Charles wasn't really ready to get married - and by the time he realized he did want to be with Camilla - she was already married.  it's really quite something if you think about the fact anne had an affair with Camilla's first husband before she married him. . . . 

I will say, I do think Camilla has calmed chalres considerably.

apparently, it was a big misunderstanding between him and Philip as to why he married diana.  Philip didn't want him to string her along, and Charles thought he wanted him to marry her.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

She comes off as sort of a .....player, I guess is how to put it as far as the show is concerned, so I wonder how much of it had to do with the lack of royal blood or instead the potential for scandal. I don't know if it's a show portrayal for drama points, or was the same IRL, but she didn't seem anywhere near as devoted to Charles as he was to her- seemed more like she and Parker Bowles had sort of a toxic thing going, so it would be easy to see her as a non-trustworthy/volatile person to add to mix, in a group already abounding with crazy people, LOL. 

she definitely had a toxic thing going with parker-bowles.  (history I've read elsewhere).  he was a jerk, but she wasn't willing to dump him. (which is what he deserved.)

just another woman in a long line of women who debase themselves chasing after jerks . . . . .

7 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Camilla was chasing her first husband for several years.  (can't imagine why- he was quite the philanderer.) she was using Charles to make him jealous.  Charles wasn't really ready to get married - and by the time he realized he did want to be with Camilla - she was already married.  it's really quite something if you think about the fact anne had an affair with Camilla's first husband before she married him. . . . 

I will say, I do think Camilla has calmed chalres considerably.

apparently, it was a big misunderstanding between him and Philip as to why he married diana.  Philip didn't want him to string her along, and Charles thought he wanted him to marry her.

Yeah, the whole Anne thing made that pretty gross. I wasn't sure if it actually happened or was "dramatic license". 

Just finished!

I for sure don't like how the Queen has been cast in this season.  At the end of the last episode, I started googling the Jubilee, mostly for the outfit.  And every pic I could find showed genuine smiles.  Yet, it's been portrayed as such a sad event.  And, I think part of that is the behind the scenes stuff that we wouldn't see by googling, but at the same time, I feel like Claire Foy was much better at portraying the mix of emotions that I think they were going for.  She was so great at the nervous/excited look, the bittersweet of a situation.  I just am not getting that from Coleman.  It feels like it's either all sour, or all upset, or all angry, but never a mix....and NEVER all happy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Just finished!

I for sure don't like how the Queen has been cast in this season.  At the end of the last episode, I started googling the Jubilee, mostly for the outfit.  And every pic I could find showed genuine smiles.  Yet, it's been portrayed as such a sad event.  And, I think part of that is the behind the scenes stuff that we wouldn't see by googling, but at the same time, I feel like Claire Foy was much better at portraying the mix of emotions that I think they were going for.  She was so great at the nervous/excited look, the bittersweet of a situation.  I just am not getting that from Coleman.  It feels like it's either all sour, or all upset, or all angry, but never a mix....and NEVER all happy.

she admits, they had to teach her how to speak, and how to walk . . . they should also have taught her how to sit.  I think she lacks a natural dignified carriage.  she's been a disappointment - to many (if you read comments about her casting on UK sites.)

19 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Yes, loved this actress!

It's always a bit of a toss up as to how to present Prince Charles. He's had his fair share of bad publicity over the years, and for very good reason. I wonder who produced this series, and why they are so sympathetic. There must be some reason.

• Like 1

I also don't like how Princess Alice's story was just....................dropped.  She was brought in, shown a couple of times, and then she was gone.  I kind of wish they had explored that a bit further.  I got the impression that they were trying to show that she wasn't as crazy as people thought...but then did a poor job of that.  

4 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

she admits, they had to teach her how to speak, and how to walk . . . they should also have taught her how to sit.  I think she lacks a natural dignified carriage.  she's been a disappointment - to many (if you read comments about her casting on UK sites.)

Maybe she's trying to hard.  And maybe I am just partial to Foy because of first impressions.  But yeah, I just don't think she works.  I don't expect the queen to smile all the time, and the role is a pretty serious one, but it seems very much like she struggles to find that mix....the dynamic between the happy and the serious and the sad parts.  If I had only picked it up in season 3 without having seen the first two seasons, I would think that Elizabeth hated being queen.

• Like 1

I will say I have long not been a fan of Charles.  Either defy the Queen and marry Camilla or go along with her wishes and be loyal and o Diana. Maybe it is my age showing but after watching the Crown I do have sympathy for him.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

I also don't like how Princess Alice's story was just....................dropped.  She was brought in, shown a couple of times, and then she was gone.  I kind of wish they had explored that a bit further.  I got the impression that they were trying to show that she wasn't as crazy as people thought...but then did a poor job of that.  

Maybe she's trying to hard.  And maybe I am just partial to Foy because of first impressions.  But yeah, I just don't think she works.  I don't expect the queen to smile all the time, and the role is a pretty serious one, but it seems very much like she struggles to find that mix....the dynamic between the happy and the serious and the sad parts.  If I had only picked it up in season 3 without having seen the first two seasons, I would think that Elizabeth hated being queen.

I thought they gave quite a bit to her.  She died in 1969 (her body was moved to Israel in 1974.).  she never did an interview - but it did give an opportunity to go over some of what she suffered in her life.  it was probably a nervous breakdown that led to her being locked up - and her husband was a philanderer who found philandering much easier if his wife wasn't around.

I agree, olivia coleman lacks subtlety and nuance. . . .  when you have to teach your lead actress how to walk, talk, and move - maybe you need to look at another actress. . . . 

claire foy - was able to be 'regal'.

5 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I thought they gave quite a bit to her.  She died in 1969 (her body was moved to Israel in 1974.).  she never did an interview - but it did give an opportunity to go over some of what she suffered in her life.  it was probably a nervous breakdown that led to her being locked up - and her husband was a philanderer who found philandering much easier if his wife wasn't around.

I agree, olivia coleman lacks subtlety and nuance. . . .  when you have to teach your lead actress how to walk, talk, and move - maybe you need to look at another actress. . . . 

claire foy - was able to be 'regal'.

It could be that I just found her story fascinating and I just didn't know anything about her before.  Truth is, I have googled more about Queen Victoria and her descendants than I ever would have before watching this show and the politics of the royalty and nobility of Europe, plus all the general history, is really interesting.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

It could be that I just found her story fascinating and I just didn't know anything about her before.  Truth is, I have googled more about Queen Victoria and her descendants than I ever would have before watching this show and the politics of the royalty and nobility of Europe, plus all the general history, is really interesting.   

I had previously read up about Princess Alice, so she wasn't a new introduction to me.  there was a brief glimpse of her in the first season when Elizabeth and Philip are married - and she's walking around for wedding photo's in her nun's habit.  the Queen Mum makes some snarky "look at the mother" comment - that was said in a rude way.   (I think Victoria Hamilton was far superior as the Queen Mum.)

what wasn't mentioned, she harbored Jews in her home in Athen's during WWII. She founded the order to which she belonged, and financed it by selling her jewels and other personal items.

• Like 1

I had no idea about Aberfan.

I absolutely love Princess Alice.  She was even more badass in real life.  I have to wonder if she as really schizophrenic...and I'm absolutely horrified over what Freud suggested be done to her.  https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/a29849010/princess-alice-battenberg-the-crown-real-life/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, umsami said:

I had no idea about Aberfan.

I absolutely love Princess Alice.  She was even more badass in real life.  I have to wonder if she as really schizophrenic...and I'm absolutely horrified over what Freud suggested be done to her.  https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/a29849010/princess-alice-battenberg-the-crown-real-life/

I doubt she was schizophrenic. (my mother was, my bil was - you don't "overcome" it.)   considering everything that happened, it was probably a nervous collapse.  and her husband was quite a philanderer, I'm sure that was easier with his wife not around.  but she also was opinionated and willful.  "unforgiveable offenses" in some circles.  and one way wives were "controlled" was to lock them up as insane.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I doubt she was schizophrenic. (my mother was, my bil was - you don't "overcome" it.)   considering everything that happened, it was probably a nervous collapse.  and her husband was quite a philanderer, I'm sure that was easier with his wife not around.  but she also was opinionated and willful.  "unforgiveable offenses" in some circles.  and one way wives were "controlled" was to lock them up as insane.

Yes, that was my reasoning. I've never heard of anybody being "cured" of schizophrenia. 

2 hours ago, umsami said:

Yes, that was my reasoning. I've never heard of anybody being "cured" of schizophrenia. 

after reading about her, I only felt great respect.  (and frankly, I think she was a better woman than the queen mum.)

• Like 2

On 11/20/2019 at 4:32 PM, happysmileylady said:

Princess Alice's story

I became interested in learning more about her as a result of The Crown.  I'm not good at piecing all the story bits together--that's why I like writers who can do that for me--but one of her godmothers, her aunt Duchess Elizabeth, is a saint in the Orthodox Church.   I've known her story for quite some time, and have 2 goddaughters who have her as their patroness, but I hadn't put things together as re: the connection with Princess Alice, Prince Phillip.  

Princess Alice and Prince Phillip are Greek Orthodox; St. Elizabeth became Russian Orthodox.  (All once faith but different expressions in language and culture...)

Anyway, it's been fun to learn about all this, and I would not have had this pleasure without The Crown.

As an aside comment:  The portrayal of the broken and then healing relationship between mother and son was so beautiful...and it would not have happened had not QE2 stood her ground.  The irony was that Princess Alice--essentially a Greek and Orthodox and deeply religious and compassionate woman--was the one to form a more favorable opinion of the Monarchy in the eyes of the British public.  All the PR did nothing--and Princess Alice would not have been portrayed at all had not Princess Ann stood HER ground, going against the wishes of her family. 

A very interesting story.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

I became interested in learning more about her as a result of The Crown.  I'm not good at piecing all the story bits together--that's why I like writers who can do that for me--but one of her godmothers, her aunt Duchess Elizabeth, is a saint in the Orthodox Church.   I've known her story for quite some time, and have 2 goddaughters who have her as their patroness, but I hadn't put things together as re: the connection with Princess Alice, Prince Phillip.  

Princess Alice and Prince Phillip are Greek Orthodox; St. Elizabeth became Russian Orthodox.  (All once faith but different expressions in language and culture...)

Anyway, it's been fun to learn about all this, and I would not have had this pleasure without The Crown.

As an aside comment:  The portrayal of the broken and then healing relationship between mother and son was so beautiful...and it would not have happened had not QE2 stood her ground.  The irony was that Princess Alice--essentially a Greek and Orthodox and deeply religious and compassionate woman--was the one to form a more favorable opinion of the Monarchy in the eyes of the British public.  All the PR did nothing--and Princess Alice would not have been portrayed at all had not Princess Ann stood HER ground, going against the wishes of her family. 

A very interesting story.

there's a lot of fiction in "The Crown."  you can't trust everything it portrays. I know there was a lot of *fiction* showing Philip attending his sister's funeral and his father blaming him for her death, etc. etc.  what was shown was quite twisted, and at times not remotely accurate.  even those at Gordonstoun - have stated how twisted the portrayal there was and the records don't support the way the story was told. . . . -  

there are people (on other sites) having hissy fits because the queen mum and lord mountbatten conspired together to break up Charles and camila. . . . for starters - the queen mum and lord mountbattan (princess alice's brother) didn't trust each other (or the less polite - loathed.)  they'd never have worked together behind the scenes.   2.  Camilla had been chasing Andrew parker-bowels for years and was trying to make him jealous by dating Charles.  she wasn't interested in him - only after the reality of being married to a cad sank in did she realize her mistake. - but she was already married.   

• Like 1