Menu

Who wants to guess what IEW's BIG announcement will be?

Meadowlark

I got an e-mail from Rainbow Resource about it. To me it sounded like the updated program is available in three levels, 3rd-5th, 6th-8th, and 9th+. It also sounded like each of the three levels is a 2-year program. I might check this out for my oldest. She’s in 10th grade and writing is a nightmare for both of us. We’ve tried the method before with just TWSS, and it worked well for her, but I couldn’t keep up with teaching the lessons myself. 

I'm not sure I totally understand either. I have a group of kids that would need the 3-5 and then the older boys would need 6-8. This would be two different programs?

What exactly, would my kids be able to do after going through one year of this? I get the outline thing and I understand that. But, what beyond that does IEW offer? I need some selling here. I just can't really visualize what it is.

And also-are you all under the impression that Andrew P. re-recorded all of the lessons? I didn't see anywhere where he says that, more like they just converted the whole thing to forever streaming. Did I miss that? And what will be different about the program compared to what's offered on the DVD's?

8 hours ago, Meadowlark said:

And also-are you all under the impression that Andrew P. re-recorded all of the lessons? I didn't see anywhere where he says that, more like they just converted the whole thing to forever streaming. Did I miss that? And what will be different about the program compared to what's offered on the DVD's?

I watched the live youtube party a few nights ago when they were celebrating 25 years in business and announcing SSS (the new product line).  Yes, all of the lessons were re recorded with new jokes, new source material, new students. But it's not just taking the old product SWI dvd and making them available to stream.  I haven't looked much at the website to know what is being said.  But that was part of the video on Tuesday.   They did show the 4 minute infomerical that is embedded above, but they talked more.

I didn't catch a lot of the what makes this new part.  I did get the impression that one of the big changes is the pacing of the video segments will be more like a real class instead of the quick to the point style that they have been.???  I'm not a IEW user currently so that wasn't clear to me either.  But then again he was speaking in the event to those who work for and love iew so they understand it was major even if I did not.  I remember SWI (pre 2019 edition) being fast paced and you had lesson plans for 14 weeks to cover the material.  Now it sounds like it's 24 lessons in that year 1.

I guess part of the answer to your question about what will be different is that it was re recorded not just converted. DVD of the new product will be an option if you don't want streaming. I'm guessing with your other question about would you need 2 levels would be best asked to their sales people. I know a decade ago the answer would have been to get 2 levels to meet needs.  but 15 years ago I can remember them saying get one level and meet in the middle and help youngers more.

I think anyone who is interested should sign up on the webinar for Dec 2. (link is above ).  I know I was only sorta paying attention to the youtube party while waiting for ncis nola to start.

One of my minor gripes with swi was some of the segments were 10 minutes long and some were 45.  It was written in the plans how long the video would run, but it was very hard to schedule in that wide a time range without messing up the rest of the day’s schedule.  Especially with younger kids, they couldn’t adequately focus on a writing video for 40+ minutes.  Hopefully that was some of what was addressed in this new release.  I think original was recorded at a two day session at a conference so it probably explains some of the awkward divisions.

On 11/20/2019 at 10:34 PM, Meadowlark said:

I'm not sure I totally understand either. I have a group of kids that would need the 3-5 and then the older boys would need 6-8. This would be two different programs?

What exactly, would my kids be able to do after going through one year of this? I get the outline thing and I understand that. But, what beyond that does IEW offer? I need some selling here. I just can't really visualize what it is.

Some people might be inclined to go with B (6th-8th) and teach it yourself to the younger kids using a theme book such as All Things Fun and Fascinating. 

Some parents buy the teacher program, TWSS, and teach it themselves using age appropriate theme books. 

I haven't seen the new layout of units in the new recordings. In the previous programs, after one year, they would be able to write key word outlines, write from those outlines, write stories using the story sequence chart, write reports using reference material, and write from a writing prompt, all while having learned to use the basic dress ups and a few extras such as sentence openers (varies with age level). 

Edited by mom31257

On 11/29/2019 at 7:34 PM, Plum said:

Just saw this 

CLEARANCE19

for 50 percent off clearance items!
Coupon code valid only from 9:00AM Monday through 5:00PM Friday, Central Time. Not to be combined with any other offer.

https://iew.com/clearance19

Thanks! I’ve wanted to give IEW a try, so this was perfect timing. Got Fables, Myths, & Fairy Tales, All Things Fun & Fascinating, and the next level of AAS student materials for $40! 🥳

Edited by Expat_Mama_Shelli
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I really wonder what they are planning. There are a lot of theme based books in the clearance items. I  guess I will have to wait until they put out a new catalog.

I foresee a lot of confused people at the booth this year.

@Expat_Mama_Shelli I made up vocab cards for All Things Fun and Fascinating. If you need them, PM me and I will send them to you. The version I had (and I don't believe this has been update) did not include vocabulary cards--it asked the students to make them. 

54 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Wow, I really wonder what they are planning. There are a lot of theme based books in the clearance items. I  guess I will have to wait until they put out a new catalog.

I foresee a lot of confused people at the booth this year.

@Expat_Mama_Shelli I made up vocab cards for All Things Fun and Fascinating. If you need them, PM me and I will send them to you. The version I had (and I don't believe this has been update) did not include vocabulary cards--it asked the students to make them. 

Sure, thanks! I’ll shoot you a PM ☺️