Menu

Hive Happy Holidays card exchange

Ginevra

This idea came up in the Christmas card thread. I am willing to organize, for a short window of time, a list of real names and addresses of members here who want to send out and receive Christmas/Holiday cards this year. Here is my post from the other thread: 

This is a fun idea. I think we can do this, but there has to be some parameters. If posters want to PM me, I can compile a list of names and mailing addresses and then, by some deadline - I don’t know which - I will PM everyone who wants to participate the list. 

Here’s the big caveat: I’m not going to include anyone I haven’t “known” around here for a long time. It’s too risky to send identifying info to someone I can’t verify has been part of this community for a long time, very visibly. So, sorry mostly-lurkers who only have 200 posts, or people who just joined. 

Also, as recipients, I do not think we should expect A-list cards from forum buddies, so if, for the purposes of this exchange, we don’t send our premium photos of our families but rather, send a lovely ordinary boxed card, that should be sufficient. Nevertheless, if you want to send premium cards, that’s fine, too! 

Be patient if you can’t at first get an address to me; my box is always full and I’m weirdly possessive of my old conversations here, lol. Also, if you have ever PM’d me in the past, you can add onto an existing conversation without using up more storage. New conversations eat up space, but existing conversations can be added to without affecting it. 

So - I invite anyone who wants to participate in a Christmas card exchange here - so long as I’ve seen you around and you’re not a newbie - to PM me with name and physical address and I will start compiling

I will cap this at around 25 participants. And I will delete this content once we’ve reached that amount, or by Thanksgiving (Nov 28), whichever comes first. 

So if you think it would be fun to send and receive physical mail from your Hive buddies, PM me your details and I will get the compiled list out to participants around Thanksgiving, if not before. 

Cheers! 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I'd like to join too.  I like receiving cards as well.  

** I'm also weirdly possessive of my old PMs.  I thought it was just me 😏

Here’s me, looking at my old PMs, trying to decide which to delete:

”Awww, there’s the one where that poster said I have nice hair. I don’t want to delete that....oh, here’s the one where a boardie offered to help me with something IRL; I have to keep that one...here’s that poster who always remembers my baby’s birthdate, she’s so thoughtful to send me that PM...” 😄

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

I would love to, but it is $2 to send a postcard, and last time we tried, only a couple got thru. Please know I wish you all a happy holiday season!❤

My DD's postcards to us & many others that she sent from overseas this summer never arrived. So, sorta glad it wasn't just her and sorta sad they got lost in the ocean....

@Quill Good of you to organise this. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PrincessMommy said:

Really?  I haven't heard anything and don't have any contact information for anyone.  I thought I was on the list, but maybe not. 😏

I haven’t sent the list yet. 🙃 I intend to send it tommorow. It will just take a little time to list them. There are 19 members on the list. 

• Like 1

I am trying to send the list to you, @Pen, but I guess your inbox is full?

Hopefully the PDF attachment opens and works for everyone. If it doesn't work, let me know.

-Danielle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey, quick question posed by one of the people on the exchange: Is there anybody who is bothered if the card are “Holiday”, not “Christmas,” or vice versa? I used the terms interchangeably but I wouldn’t want someone to be upset they were wished a Merry Christmas when they were expecting something less specific or, conversely, they were wished Happy Holidays when they expected an acknowledgement of Christmas specifically. 

If there is any issue with this, PM me so I can clarify it on the list. 

On 11/19/2019 at 3:18 PM, RootAnn said:

My DD's postcards to us & many others that she sent from overseas this summer never arrived. So, sorta glad it wasn't just her and sorta sad they got lost in the ocean....

@Quill Good of you to organise this. 

Oh man I just saw this thread, and my first thought was, but only if RootAnn joins.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Shucks. I missed this completely. Maybe next year if we are doing it again.

Liz, if you send me your name and address, I can send you the list and I can PM it through to the other participants. 

• Like 2

I was wondering on the Merry Christmas vs. Season’s Greetings last night. I am happy with any or all sentiments. I bought seasonal cards because I will use some for school teachers that I don’t know. I do write Merry Christmas in cards I send to people I know celebrate Christmas by religion or culture.

• Like 2

I’m going to assume we’re all grown-ups here and any sentiment is fine, religious or not. If someone really has a problem with that, do let me know, but I agree with fairfarmhand - the point is to bring each other cheer and uplift one another, whether than is Christian or secular. The cards I bought are not overtly religious, but that has been my habit since long, long ago, when I worked with people who were predominantly Jewish. 

• Like 5

On 11/19/2019 at 2:10 PM, Chris in VA said:

I would love to, but it is $2 to send a postcard, and last time we tried, only a couple got thru. Please know I wish you all a happy holiday season!❤

If you can get over close to the Machane Yehuda Shuk, I have friends who are sending their kids to me for Chanukah.  She's offered to send me whatever I want and I want to help YOU.  If you want to send cards from J'lem to the US, I can have them ferried to Boston and I can do the rest.  And if there is anything small you want to send back to the US or from here back there, let me know.  They are coming Dec 19-31.

Wishing I were there,

Yael

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

If you can get over close to the Machane Yehuda Shuk, I have friends who are sending their kids to me for Chanukah.  She's offered to send me whatever I want and I want to help YOU.  If you want to send cards from J'lem to the US, I can have them ferried to Boston and I can do the rest.  And if there is anything small you want to send back to the US or from here back there, let me know.  They are coming Dec 19-31.

Wishing I were there,

Yael

Oh my goodness Yael, that is so completely kind of you! We have things covered for now but I can't thank you enough for such thoughtfulness!! Machane Yehuda is just a 5 minute tram ride away (we live right on the Seam so taking the tram is something I do all the time). I really appreciate you!

• Like 3

On 12/1/2019 at 6:59 PM, Quill said:

Hey, quick question posed by one of the people on the exchange: Is there anybody who is bothered if the card are “Holiday”, not “Christmas,” or vice versa? I used the terms interchangeably but I wouldn’t want someone to be upset they were wished a Merry Christmas when they were expecting something less specific or, conversely, they were wished Happy Holidays when they expected an acknowledgement of Christmas specifically. 

If there is any issue with this, PM me so I can clarify it on the list. 

All are fine with me.  

I’m about to do mine — I usually get more Seasons Greetings type, but this year, they seem to say Christmas/ or look like Christmas .  Did anyone want a specifically Happy Holidays not Christmas? 

5 minutes ago, Pen said:

All are fine with me.  

I’m about to do mine — I usually get more Seasons Greetings type, but this year, they seem to say Christmas/ or look like Christmas .  Did anyone want a specifically Happy Holidays not Christmas? 

Nobody told me they had a specific preference. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Oh my goodness Yael, that is so completely kind of you! We have things covered for now but I can't thank you enough for such thoughtfulness!! Machane Yehuda is just a 5 minute tram ride away (we live right on the Seam so taking the tram is something I do all the time). I really appreciate you!

If you change your mind (you have time!) or think of stuff you want from the US to J'lem, please don't hesitate.  I don't think we're going as a family until next fall but my offer stands for then (and we have LOTS of luggage capability!).  A Merry Christmas to you in the Holy Land.  Eat a sufganiyah (Hanukah doughnut) for me, preferably halvah flavored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I got a card today!!!   Thank you @Acorn!  🥰  It’s sitting on top of my China cabinet! 

I sent mine out today! 

Mine go on or above my mantle along with the Christmas stockings.  

Usually.  With the hive ones maybe I’ll brighten up a second location.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I SWEAR I WILL GET MY CARDS OUT 😫

It’s been so crazy and I am in denial that Benny’s birthday is tomorrow and Christmas is next week.   But I swear I haven’t forgotten any of you and love all the great updates included in each card!

Christmas is a season not a day!

And if you don't get them out, we all understand. 

2 hours ago, unsinkable said:

@myblessings4

Answering your question...

I did make the cards I sent out. Thank you for the compliment! i am sure they aren't everyone's taste but I wanted an old-fashioned looking card. 

My DH saw them and said they looked like something you'd find cleaning out your grandma's dresser! LOL

I love things that were found in my Grandma's dresser! 

So here's a confession.

My grandmother loved Christmas cards. My mother was an only child and I got all of Grandmother's things. I found a stack of old Christmas cards in there. I love them. The font is all vintagey. 

And that's what I sent most of y'all!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I SWEAR I WILL GET MY CARDS OUT 😫

It’s been so crazy and I am in denial that Benny’s birthday is tomorrow and Christmas is next week.   But I swear I haven’t forgotten any of you and love all the great updates included in each card!

I just stuck on the last stamp, no judgement here 😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

I love things that were found in my Grandma's dresser! 

So here's a confession.

My grandmother loved Christmas cards. My mother was an only child and I got all of Grandmother's things. I found a stack of old Christmas cards in there. I love them. The font is all vintagey. 

And that's what I sent most of y'all!

I am sitting here next to the cards and just in the name of science...I pulled yours out and smelled it.

Smells like grandma...

• Haha 3

One card I sent came back as damaged undeliverable—I think it was a hive exchange card, but I’m not absolutely sure about that. I hope it was just one card gone astray, not my whole Xmas mailings.  

Thanks for all the lovely cards I’ve received! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Thank you so much @Quill for doing this!  I’ve loved receiving cards this year!   I thought I didn’t really care about Christmas cards and then this happened and I started stalking the mailbox for more!   We have to do this next year, too!   

I’m really pleased we’re doing this, too! I have a whole bunch of cards hanging in my hallway and many of them are Hive cards. Dh just said today, “Well this is so great that you’ve got all these Hive cards because we hardly have any from all the regular people!” He’s not too wrong on that...they are trickling in, but several people who have sent cards for years have either stopped or I haven’t gotten theirs yet. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, unsinkable said:

@myblessings4

Answering your question...

I did make the cards I sent out. Thank you for the compliment! i am sure they aren't everyone's taste but I wanted an old-fashioned looking card. 

My DH saw them and said they looked like something you'd find cleaning out your grandma's dresser! LOL

I loved your card.  Thank you

I have loved getting the cards!!!  And as I said on one of the message threads, those of you whom I mentioned distances, I just did distances to your town- didn't use addresses at all and certainly didn't stalk you.  I was just curious how far and where some of the towns were. 

And if any of you are ever coming to my city, please message me so we can meet.  If I ever get healthy enough,  I will try to arrange a homeschooler;s version of the caving communities TAG event- Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia.  The caving community has a weekend camping and caving event in the Fall.  I wouldn't want to arrange anything as elaborate as that but some sort of meet and greet would be nice. 

• Like 3

Thank you all for your cards and kind wishes! 

My mantel is full of cards and dh said "Who do you know in Alaska?"  😄

I enjoyed every single card. I feel like apologizing to the recipients of the first batch of cards (you know who you are) because the cards were ho-hum. Then I got Amazon on my side and ordered some nicer cards. But be assured no matter what type of card you received I wish you all a heartfelt Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year!

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I have loved getting the cards!!!  And as I said on one of the message threads, those of you whom I mentioned distances, I just did distances to your town- didn't use addresses at all and certainly didn't stalk you.  I was just curious how far and where some of the towns were. 

And if any of you are ever coming to my city, please message me so we can meet.  If I ever get healthy enough,  I will try to arrange a homeschooler;s version of the caving communities TAG event- Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia.  The caving community has a weekend camping and caving event in the Fall.  I wouldn't want to arrange anything as elaborate as that but some sort of meet and greet would be nice. 

1 hour ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I’m glad you looked up my location!   It’s cool that you’ve been over this way, so close to my little town!  The town you mentioned is where we do our major shopping; we’re there all the time. 

Chris lived a stone's throw from my little nest too. She is indeed a "Traveling Chris."