Menu

presents for young scouts

Xahm

Our kids don't have many items on their wish lists, but we need to ask for things to keep from being given random toys and such. I had the idea of lightweight portable camp chairs for cub scout events, which made me think of other camp and scout things, but I'm a little thin on specifics. I haven't done much with this before, and my husband gets his gear free through the military, though some of that he'll have to give back. We have an arsenal of knives dh has won as prizes, and the kids are a bit young for them anyway. Also they have hydration backpacks already and we have a family tent.

Any ideas? It's okay if its something they can be excited about now but not really get much use out of until they are older. 

1 minute ago, xahm said:

Our kids don't have many items on their wish lists, but we need to ask for things to keep from being given random toys and such. I had the idea of lightweight portable camp chairs for cub scout events, which made me think of other camp and scout things, but I'm a little thin on specifics. I haven't done much with this before, and my husband gets his gear free through the military, though some of that he'll have to give back. We have an arsenal of knives dh has won as prizes, and the kids are a bit young for them anyway. Also they have hydration backpacks already and we have a family tent.

Any ideas? It's okay if its something they can be excited about now but not really get much use out of until they are older. 

Scout gifts we've asked for/received:

Personal tents

tarp for under the tent

Flashlights

Hiking backpacks

Other camping gear (mess gear, pots and pans, grill, etc)

Rope and a book on how to make useful things out of it

Rain ponchos

Pads for sleeping on (Or even cots!)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

Here's the list I send out to the troop every year:

Christmas ideas for Scouts:

Two-man tent

First Aid kit

Flashlight—don’t go with a heavy 3 cell model, but look for a small maglight or a headlamp

Nalgene

Spork

Wool socks

Fleece hat

Carabiners—they come in all sorts of cool shapes

Patch blanket—usually red, to sew on all those patches that don’t fit on the back of the sash

Sleeping pad—Thermarests are great

Biodegradable soap

Scouting t-shirt

Rain gear

Stuff sacks—compression ones are great for sleeping bags

Under Armour

Compass

Water purifier—lots available from Lifestraws to Steripens

Backpacking stoves—range from MSR Whisperlights, to Jetboils to Optimus

Binoculars

Whistle

Sunglasses

Fire starters

BSA Fieldbook

GPS

Leatherman

Scout Christmas ornament

Timber, Talus & Tundra--hiking trails of the Gunnison, written by a mom of an Eagle from Troop 476

The Scout’s Outdoor Cookbook

Simple Foods for the Pack

Old-Fashioned Dutch Oven Cookbook

Climbing Guide to Colorado's Fourteeners by Walter Borneman

Thanks! Some of that we already have, but some of it had completely slipped my mind. Underlayers for sure! I'm not sure I can get elderly relatives to get excited about giving it to kids, but we will make sure they have it.

2 hours ago, HeighHo said:

Swimming lessons or pool pass

We did that last year and will get pool passes when it warms up. We have a pretty long outdoor swim season, so we're a little low on indoor pools. Last year I got the oldest swimming well, the second on his way, and the third ready to try. This summer the oldest can learn different strokes and maybe join swim team, the second can get to the point of swimming laps, and the third might be able to as well, if he's willing.

40 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Fwiw, amazon carries a lot of off brand stuff. The Etekcity camping stove is good, with piezo ignition and is $14 rather than $60 like a whisper light. If you are budget conscious, I wanted to share that tip!

We are, and it's always good to know which off brands are actually a good buy and which are cheap in quality as well as price.

A snazzy mess kit - the Light My Fire kits are really popular with our cubs and scouts.

My cub also loves his deluxe inflatable camp pillow.  REI probably carries something similar.

ETA - you mentioned your kids were a bit young for knives, but your siggy says the youngest is 12?  Our group's scouts are eligible for knife permits starting at age 11 (I'm in Canada).  Both my 10 yo and 11 yo have Leatherman LEAP multitools,  and love, love, love them.  The blade is packed separately and is installed on the tool by the parent (it's easy).  So if your kids aren't ready for blades yet, they can still have a really high quality multitool, with the option of adding a blade when ready.

ETA again:  I see now that your siggy indicates year of birth, not age.  The Leap still might be appropriate for you 7yo without the blade installed.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, wathe said:

A snazzy mess kit - the Light My Fire kits are really popular with our cubs and scouts.

My cub also loves his deluxe inflatable camp pillow.  REI probably carries something similar.

ETA - you mentioned your kids were a bit young for knives, but your siggy says the youngest is 12?  Our group's scouts are eligible for knife permits starting at age 11 (I'm in Canada).  Both my 10 yo and 11 yo have Leatherman LEAP multitools,  and love, love, love them.  The blade is packed separately and is installed on the tool by the parent (it's easy).  So if your kids aren't ready for blades yet, they can still have a really high quality multitool, with the option of adding a blade when ready.

I agree with mess kits.

(I think the numbers are their birth years, so that would make them all age 7 or younger.)

• Like 1

Thanks to you all. I'm working up a better list now.

Yes,my oldest is 7 and a Wolf. She owns a knife thanks to my dad, but she doesn't feel ready for it and won't be allowed to carry it until Bears next year anyway. I'll fix my signature to make it less confusing. I just know I'm too lazy to update whenever we have a birthday.

13 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I love these ideas, and will definitely pass some along to relatives.  Right now, my cub scout and my boy scout pass things back and forth.  For example, we have one two man tent.  So, getting some new stuff so they can each have their own when they're in the same troop makes sense.  

I have a girl in one troop and a boy in a different troop -- then came the day they were BOTH camping on the same weekend. We discovered separate tents were a necessity.

• Haha 2

Paracord and a booklet of projects to make with it! 

Binoculars

Nature journal

Birdhouse building project to do with a parent? 

Fishing gear?

Compass - When my ds was a Webelos 1 and had learned a little orienteering, we gave him a compass and a map (that dh drew) as the first present for his birthday. He had to find the rest, like a scavenger hunt!

Walmart carries inexpensive, inflatable solar lanterns that work well.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1