Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
PinkTulip

Help me buy a tablet

I am probably the last person in America who has never owned a tablet but I’m thinking I might have use for one now. 

I am desperately trying to lose 20 pounds in 2020 and would like to get a tablet and some wireless earbuds to stream some fitness apps I have been using while my family watches tv. My phone is a little small to see what I need to be doing! 

I would probably also use it to watch tv shows and stream movies from my home WiFi. Also maybe use it to watch movies when traveling on a road trip. So I don’t need anything powerful as far as a computer replacement or gaming. 

I currently have an iPhone, but will probably switch to a Samsung in the next 2 years. I checked both the Apple App Store and the Google Play store, and they both have the apps I use. 

Low price is great, but I want something decent that will last a while, without overbuying for what I need.  Thanks for your suggestions!

ETA: not sure why that one paragraph is bigger than the rest!

Edited by PinkTulip
  • Like 1

My iPad is probably the single best purchase I’ve made in my life. I originally bought it for reasons similar to yours, especially the exercising. I don’t have an iPhone or use any other Apple product, so I’m not one of those Apple everything people.

• Like 4

I am NOT an apple person at all....I have a Kindle fire.  It might do what you want.  I use mine for streaming Pandora and my audiobook.  I don't do much else with it.  It was cheap.

That said, if you can financially swing it, an iPad would be the way to go.  My daughter had one that is OLD and still chugging along.

• Like 1

Just curious - what makes the iPad better than say, the Galaxy Tab, for example? I’m looking at both, but the iPad is definitely more expensive. 

Thanks for your help on this!

My husband loves his Galaxy Tab. I love my iPad. He does way more with his tablet than I do. I mostly play games, check email, etc. He types up his sermons and watches movies. I have never used a keyboard with mine at all. I think, since you know that the apps you want are available on both, it is mostly personal preference then. But I do know that my husband likes having the microSD storage available on the Tab, too. Perhaps that would allow you to download more in the way of movies for your trips?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

I currently have an iPhone, but will probably switch to a Samsung in the next 2 year

I have a Galaxy Tab and love it. Mine isn't a high end one (I have the Tab A 10.1) but it does all I need. I stream tv shows, play a few games, watch videos (including workout videos) and go online. I also have a Samsung phone and share the same apps, though that would be the case with any other Android based phone. 

ETA: This is mine. It's inexpensive as tablets go. Samsung has more expensive ones but if you have a computer you use regularly an inexpensive tablet will probably be all you need.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q5VM8ZD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other Samsung tablets - https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/tablets/

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

OT for the OP:  We strongly suggest that you consider the DDPYOGA program. It is Fitness Yoga with (for my wife and many others) wonderful results. My DD found that program and for my wife it has been a blessing.  https://ddpyoga.com/  You can try it Free for awhile.  Whatever my wife pays for it, is trivial, compared to the results she gets from it. She uses the Streaming service, so she pays Monthly.

Since you plan to migrate to Android in the future, I would consider the Samsung Tablet in addition to the iPhone Tablet.   If Tablets are like Cell Phones, not all of them have the same capabilities, and you may want to get one (if this is available on Tablets) that can do what my wife's new Huawei Cell phone can do.  I had suggested that she buy a Motorola G7 Power, but when she went to the superstore where we buy phones, they didn't have any Motorola G7 phones that day and it never occurred to me that they wouldn't have Moto G7s in the store and that she wouldn't buy a Motorola...  The Huawei can do something that her Motorola Moto phone (produced 4+ years ago and has seen a lot of use since purchased in late January 2016) cannot do.  The DIsplayPort to HDMI Adapter she had on her Laptop was damaged, so she can't do this from her Laptop now.  She can get the DDPYOGA on her Huawei phone and "Mirror" or "Cast" (I am not sure what that is called) that to the Samsung "SMART" TV.  If you can buy a Tablet that can do that, it might prove to be very useful in the future. I believe one should be able to get 3 good years of use from a high quality cell phone (Motorola, Samsung, iPhone, etc.) and hopefully that will also apply to the Tablet you purchase.  More than 3 years on the original battery seems to be pushing it, but not impossible, although the original battery in her Motorola Moto phone is 4+ years old and still running, but doesn't hold a charge very long.

• Like 1

I've used my ipad almost daily for about 8 years now.  It's the one you use on wifi only.  Granted, I stopped updating it a few years ago because it's getting full and I'm afraid true updates will brick it.  However, I KEEP adding books and music to it every week.  It's works great and the battery still lasts all day.  I run all my music from it for my dance classes.

• Like 1

Well, I'm definitely in the Apple camp, since I have only used Apple products for going on about 15 years now (best thing I ever did was bail from Windows), so I definitely suggest iPad (and iPhone as well). Apple has better overall security with their devices, they work together seamlessly, and the iPad App Store is pretty much unmatched.

Between us right now, in my family, the adults have 8 iPhones, two iMacs, 2 Apple watches, and two iPad Pros, and the grandkids have 4 regular 2018 iPads, an iPad Air 3, and 2 iPad mini 4s. I LOVE the educational stuff I can put on my grandkids' iPads, as well as loading up movies when we are going on long trips. I realize you can likely do this with other tablets, but they just never seem to work as well as iPads.

• Like 1