Menu

What's with the ads?

seemesew

Difference between Horizons math and Abeka?

I am looking at Horizons and Abeka for the last time for my 5 year-old. We have been using TGAB math but I am not liking it. What are the differences between them? I have used Abeka in the past with my older boys and always, always regretted not sticking with it. I left because I was wooed by a new shiny thing, or something I thought would work better, and just wanting the magical program I didn't have to teach (which I have grown and changed a lot in that area) so we left and I regret it immensely. I like the looks of Horizons and the teacher guide looks good enough for me. Abeka is what I am used to though and after everything else I have tried I still like their overall program better than anything else I've tried so far, that said I only use the workbook and will not be using the whole program, perhaps I'll get the guide to know a few things to teach ahead of time but that's it. I will be switching to Saxon at grade 5/4 so I am not concerned about the upper levels. 

Things I can't ell from the samples are how do they differ in how fast concepts are introduced? Do they teach in different ways, for example is one more conceptual? Is one more advanced than the other? Is Horizons easy to teach in the younger years without the guides? Lastly has anyone not used the guides (in 2nd and under) for Abeka and been happy with where their children ended up in math?

Edited by seemesew

I never used Abeka math. I did use Horizon K for my then kinder (last year). I liked Horizon and thought it did a good job. My kid was bored but that was because she is math minded kid and needed harder stuff. I didn't really need the teacher's guide because it was self explanatory. 

• Like 1

I would say Horizons introduces things slower but more of them.  (Horizons K is an exception, IMO, because it seemed to go pretty fast, at least the one I used 10ish years ago.) More geometric figures, for example. It has been years since I compared them, so that's all I can remember for now. I used to use Horizons books a semester behind Abeka for extra practice and review. (And if you are familiar with Abeka, this will give you an idea how much practice one of my kids needed. A lot.)

I never used the Horizons guides but except for K, I used them only for review. 

I can't answer your other questions because I don't teach Abeka exactly the way they intend. I mesh resources.

• Like 1