Menu

UAH Honors Essay

Mom0012

Has anyone completed this? We are wondering because for the essay prompt, it says “please select one prompt” and then when you hit the drop down box, there is only one prompt - What is your favorite word and why? Just wondering/hoping this is possibly a bug in their online application?

• 3 months later...

It’s the same for 2021 apps, according to the person we spoke to this weekend. DD is concerned about the length (for her, long essays are much easier to write than short ones)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dmmetler said:

It’s the same for 2021 apps, according to the person we spoke to this weekend. DD is concerned about the length (for her, long essays are much easier to write than short ones)

I think this one was actually a decent length. My dd actually had to make hers longer because she was initially thinking it was only supposed to be 500 words, I think.

The person we talked to said “about 500 words, but shorter is OK”-which caused DD to panic a bit, because she has found the 650 word common app essays to be close to impossible. As she puts it, she has written text messages over 650 words! She was relieved to find out the UAH limit is 1000. 

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 2

Since a lot of the kids are not big writers, UAH Honors College likely feels they have to set a minimum number of words or they would get some extremely short responses to this prompt.

The Dean of the Honors College reads every one that is submitted & writes a personal comment on all of the acceptance letters. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Since a lot of the kids are not big writers, UAH Honors College likely feels they have to set a minimum number of words or they would get some extremely short responses to this prompt.

The Dean of the Honors College reads every one that is submitted & writes a personal comment on all of the acceptance letters. 

Why, yes. Yes, he does. Which might come as a rude shock to a student who assumes that the intended audience is an admissions committee. Or so I would assume. 😐

• Like 2
  • Haha 2