Menu

Anyone taking or have taken Biology from College Prep Science?

My dd is taking Biology this year through College Prep Science. She is enjoying the class, however, she is not doing well on the tests. I finally got involved for the third test and helped her study (after she failed the last exam). She studied a lot. I helped her a lot. They use Science Shepherd and this test covered chapters 10-16. It seemed like a lot of information. Too much really. Especially when the test ended up being 18 questions with an 8 minute time limit. (The time limit is really stressing out my dd). On the test today, after all of the hours she studied, the first 4 questions were not familiar at all -- she guessed, thankfully correctly on some of them, and then missed 2 others, 1 of which was worded very strangely and even though I studied the material as well, I also found it confusing. Now, I am a humanities person and Biology is not my thing....but I have a masters and I know how to study . . . 

I am just wondering if anyone else has had issues with the tests in this course from this provider. 7 Chapters and 18 questions, she studied so much that was not on there only to have 4-6 of 18 questions be things she had never seen. 

I'm not really sure how to help her. Honestly I have considered allowing her to drop the class and just do the videos from science shepherd or just let her watch the Landry videos and give her the science shepherd tests that are more comprehensive and seem to be a better representation of knowledge learned.  She isn't failing the class, I think she has a B, but she worked non stop this week, ignoring most of her other classes to study for biology. And then had a ton of Biology homework not on the test. I knew it would be a lot of work, but I do feel this is excessive...but I don't want her to just quit either. 

Any feedback from anyone who has experienced this or something similar?

Other than the tests, does she like the class? Consider letting the provider know she will be taking the Science Shep tests from now on & skipping their tests. You can even explain why.

If she is finding the class overwhelming or doesn't care for it besides the tests, I don't see a problem dropping it for your alternative plan. But you are the customer here & can modify the class as necessary. If you do choose to do the other tests, I wouldn't mention the College Prep Science provider in your course descriptions. 

I think the important thing is to learn the material & learn how to study. The tests should capture understanding, IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RootAnn said:

Other than the tests, does she like the class? Consider letting the provider know she will be taking the Science Shep tests from now on & skipping their tests. You can even explain why.

If she is finding the class overwhelming or doesn't care for it besides the tests, I don't see a problem dropping it for your alternative plan. But you are the customer here & can modify the class as necessary. If you do choose to do the other tests, I wouldn't mention the College Prep Science provider in your course descriptions. 

I think the important thing is to learn the material & learn how to study. The tests should capture understanding, IMO.

The bolded is exactly how I feel. I watched dd break down in tears as she started the test today because she was so stressed about the time limit. I tried to defuse it but then once I saw the test and realized it would not at all be a reflection of the work she put into it, I was disappointed for her. 

She does enjoy the class. Other than the tests (and the overload of work). I knew it would be a heavy workload however, and she is leaning towards a career in PT, so I thought the depth of this class would be helpful in the long run. I still feel that way about the class work load, but the tests are not working for her. 

I guess I hadn't considered her not taking the tests and doing our own...but I guess that would be an option. 

• 3 months later...

Wondering what you did with this class?

I remember looking at your question and noting it as my son is taking the Life Prep Biology. 

Today he took a test.  The only material to study was 3 one hour live classes - no reading. There were 16 true false questions.  My son did not do well.  He told me all about it. But the interesting data is that out of 3 hours of class the teacher spent about 6 minutes on cranial nerves - just read each of them with a little discussion - and there were 4 questions about them on the test.  So 3 % of time on in class on subject and 25% on test.  In the teachers defense he did say make flash cards and study.  But my son is perplexed and bewildered by that comparison.  Is this typical? 

Going back to the earlier bolded quote:  I think the important thing is to learn the material & learn how to study. The tests should capture understanding, IMO.

I don't think his tests try to capture if they are understanding. It is more of little minutiae with some T/F questions that might get at a concept. 

Is this representative of higher level learning tests? 

20 hours ago, shelleysboys said:

I don't think his tests try to capture if they are understanding. It is more of little minutiae with some T/F questions that might get at a concept. 

I definitely feel like this defines the tests. . . I am still not happy about them. dd studied so hard this week, truly was engaged and enjoying the material, and then got a 73. She was really disappointed. She is getting 100's on homeworks and labs so her grade is barely an A at this point...but I am hoping she can keep an A because I truly believe she has earned one in a very difficult class. 

I actually offered for dd to continue with the class and take our own tests or even to drop the class, however, dd wanted to see it through and has even asked to take chemistry with him next year . . . I guess she enjoys the classes and even the assignments are fine . . . its just those crazy tests. Ugh. I tend to lean towards tests that challenge you and that you can learn from .. . there is nothing beneficial of a stressful 16-18 question, 8-9 minute timed test that is set out to be tricky and difficult. One of the questions this week was "true or false" the kidney is connected to the urethra. dd put true because it is connected to the urethra, by way of the bladder and ureter. The answer was false. It didn't say directly connected. I just thought that was an unfair question.  I'm not sure what to do about next year. I have a hard time telling her not to take the class, but at the same time, the testing part has not been a pleasant experience. 

You can choose to look at this online course as a resource, not as your dd's complete course. You can supplement as you see fit, including adding exams that test what you think should be tested.  What he's offering sounds more like quizzes, which could then still be counted, but for less weight.

• Like 2

DS is taking Life Prep Biology this year too. He is spending more time than expected as well on homework too, but like others mentioned here he enjoys the class and doesn't need reminders to go do the homework, etc.  He did transfer from the College Prep Biology because that was much more time intensive - I had to help him understand some chapters of the textbook there (not Science Shepherd).