Menu

Amazon has saved me so much money this Christmas... (wait for it)

PeterPan

by not having anything I wanted on deals! :biggrin:

I sorta wondered if this was happening last year that the deals were drying up, but this year they really have. Gone are the real, legit, it's half price. Now it's that they worked with the manufacturer, made an overpriced kit, and then marked it down for a "sale." And also Target and Walmart are figuring out how to be more competitive.

Is it just me? Have y'all be finding great deals and I'm missing it? Am I just jaded on shopping? Cuz seriously, I haven't been finding anything to buy, and I've been looking. It's pathetic. I'm gonna come out of Christmas with my wallet intact, which is a travesty. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I found an artificial Christmas tree on Amazon that I wanted, but I couldn't afford it right now. I was kinda hoping that maybe it'd go on sale sometime before Christmas and I could get it that way. I just looked yesterday, and the price has actually increased by about 70%. I think they're jacking the price so they can mark it down again around Black Friday and claim super huge savings. 🙄 I'll just make do with the one I have for now.

Last year, I got what I thought were good deals on a few things for the kids on Black Friday, only to have the price drop even more about 2 weeks later. Not just with Amazon, but with Walmart and Kohls, too.

• Like 1

generally, I've never purchased stuff that is "popular".  1dd used to want cookware (i'd prowl tjmaxx/etc. and buy pieces as they came up. or a few other places.).

I did buy dh a canvas print last year - I just happened to get when it was 70% off!  (or I would NOT have bought it on canvas!) from some poster site.  (mt. rainier - with avalanche lilies.)

23&Me is 1/2 price the whole month of November - I'm wondering if there will be a black Friday deal (with extra discount) this year.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Aura said:

I found an artificial Christmas tree on Amazon that I wanted, but I couldn't afford it right now. I was kinda hoping that maybe it'd go on sale sometime before Christmas and I could get it that way. I just looked yesterday, and the price has actually increased by about 70%. I think they're jacking the price so they can mark it down again around Black Friday and claim super huge savings. 🙄 I'll just make do with the one I have for now.

Last year, I got what I thought were good deals on a few things for the kids on Black Friday, only to have the price drop even more about 2 weeks later. Not just with Amazon, but with Walmart and Kohls, too.

September.  I need to get a new one, and I was looking early.  dh and I couldn't agree, so we're using this one, one more year.  but that's when they were on sale, even at balsam hill.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I’ve been watching something on Amazon that was $110. A couple days ago I noticed it was now $163. There’s no way I will buy it from them now, even if they put it on sale in a few weeks. 

I've seen things jump up that much and drop back down in a day.

• Like 1

We noticed many (5? 6?) years ago the the things we were interested in were often more expensive during the "holiday sales". We did think it was a fluke so we started talking about it and comparing notes.

Around the third year of our unscientific study, we found that prices went up considerably on things immediately following Halloween. We tracked the prices of the things that we bought before Halloween and every single item would have cost us more had we bought during the holiday rush.

Granted, we never shop Black Friday and don't look for big TVs and other tech stuff, but things we tracked to test our theory were wireless keyboards/headphones, small appliances, etc. We also just 'kept an eye' on some larger things out of curiosity and found the same thing; prices went up after Halloween, and then went 'on sale' at a higher price during the holiday buying time.

The result is that for the last two years, we have bought/will buy nothing "for the holidays" at any point after Halloween because prices are so jacked up. Note: we only have adults to buy for, so this works great. I'm not sure if it would work for kids past the toddler age.

My post may be a bit confusing, so what I'm saying is that we aren't on a spending strike, but the "holiday gift-giving list" is done before Halloween. It has saved us money, for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I've seen things jump up that much and drop back down in a day.

I've noticed this too. A lot of times it seems like they run out of stock or run low, so they raise the price until they get more stock in. Maybe it helps comply with shipping deadlines better if they deter purchases when they can't ship right away?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

This sort of pricing is why my parents did Little Christmas with us - you get real sales after Christmas, sometimes, but not usually before.

Yep, I frequently buy name brand stuff for the kids in sizes a year or two ahead.  The closer you get to New Years the cheaper it gets.  Most of my kids "nice" clothes came from then.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

23&Me is 1/2 price the whole month of November - I'm wondering if there will be a black Friday deal (with extra discount) this year.

Wow, I hadn't noticed that. It seems to me like stores are pushing deals earlier. I was in stores today (LLBean, REI) and they're running sales like crazy.

I never really get “deals,” because it seems like they are never on anything I’m looking for. I’ve definitely noticed a trend of marking up items so they can be put on “sale.” Like buy one get one half off, but the item is nearly double what it should cost in the first place.

Now, I buy American Eagle jeans only (well, their jeggings), and when those are buy one get one half off, I’ll go for it. I know the regular prices, so I know it’s a deal. I also only buy them once every few years when my previous ones get holes.

As far as other sales, I’m skeptical. I just try to know the pricing of items I want/need fairly well, so I’ll know if a deal is really a deal.

• Like 1

Dh has purchased a couple electronic items in the past week of so at Best Buy that he has been watching price wise for about 3months.  He felt they were as good as they were going to get.......many of the Black Friday ads are already available.

• Like 1

Yes, you may or may not find a deal on Amazon.

Last year this time, I was working for a major department store, and I found many things there that beat Amazon even without my employee discount. My kids are in college, so it was all about clothes and such.

This year I want a Ninja Foodie Grill, and I'm not seeing any spectacular deals yet, but I can wait. Right now Walmart is the cheapest.

• Like 1

Geez, I've dropped a small fortune on Amazon this month. But (!) I'm not a bargain shopper. I know what I need to get, and if the price is fairly competitive, I go ahead and hit purchase. I value being DONE with my Christmas shopping (which I am) over finding the best deals. (That said, I also shop eBay for hard-to-find things, books, or 2ndhand video game cartridges...)

• Like 2

On 11/15/2019 at 12:50 PM, Wildcat said:

We noticed many (5? 6?) years ago the the things we were interested in were often more expensive during the "holiday sales". We did think it was a fluke so we started talking about it and comparing notes.

Around the third year of our unscientific study, we found that prices went up considerably on things immediately following Halloween. We tracked the prices of the things that we bought before Halloween and every single item would have cost us more had we bought during the holiday rush.

Granted, we never shop Black Friday and don't look for big TVs and other tech stuff, but things we tracked to test our theory were wireless keyboards/headphones, small appliances, etc. We also just 'kept an eye' on some larger things out of curiosity and found the same thing; prices went up after Halloween, and then went 'on sale' at a higher price during the holiday buying time.

The result is that for the last two years, we have bought/will buy nothing "for the holidays" at any point after Halloween because prices are so jacked up. 

You can see this very clearly on the Honey app. See the example in this link when you scroll down to price history. https://help.joinhoney.com/article/46-can-i-use-honey-on-amazon

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 1

I don't shop Black Friday or Cyber Monday or look for deals on popular items. Ddil and my niece always put up a wish list for their kids on Amazon. Sometimes I find what I want on Amazon, sometimes I don't. I usually compare with Target and then pick the one with the best price. They both usually have what I need at a price I'm willing to pay.

I haven't started shopping yet but I'm sure Amazon will get some of our money this Christmas, as will Target.

Today is the last day for 50% off on EVERYTHING at Lands' End.  

From my e-mail this morning:

50% off your order:

Simply click any link in this e-mail and the Promotion Code and PIN will automatically be applied to your order. Or at checkout, manually enter the Promotion Code STORM and PIN 1234.

Receive 50% off your order online, in-store or by phone (excludes buy more and save pricing, monogramming, gift boxing, gift cards, shipping, taxes, duties, Lands' End Business Outfitters purchases, and excluded items as marked). Promotions and products may vary in-store. Prices as marked in-store. Excludes clearance in-store. Discount will be applied at checkout. This offer has no cash value. Promotional savings may be deducted from returns. 5-7 business day delivery to most addresses. Offer valid through 11:59 p.m. Central, November 18, 2019. Not valid on previous purchases or when combined with any other promotional offers.

• Like 4

I know Amazon does crazy things with pricing, but I am still hoping that Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday brings a deal on the 6 qt Instant Pot. I saw a red one for $60 a couple weeks ago, but the person I want it for wouldn't like that color. 

I saw an early BF price on that model at Target, but it wasn't as low as the Prime Day price of $50 (IIRC). 

Am I crazy to hope it will drop again? And if so, which day BF or CM? 

ETA: Full disclosure: If there is a code for books again on Amazon this year, I will use it!!!

Edited by Angie in VA

Here is something random you can buy on Amazon that is a good price.

OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull-Out Display, 11-Pound

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJMTNA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's great for weighing ingredients for baking (I do this, because we bake GF). I tend to buy meat in bulk and then repackage for the freezer so it's great for that.  Also for random non dangerous science related weighing and weighing packages to determine postage.

I love that the display pulls out if it is something large. Plus the weighing tray comes off to be cleaned.

According to Camelcamelcamel this is the lowest price since December 2018. I have been watching it since I missed that sale.  Of course, it could go lower again. It's a hard call.  $35 for $50 item is a pretty decent sale though.