Menu

converting PDF to word

gardenmom5

NM - I figured out the blasted PDF file is scanned, it's not an actual created document. so, because it's an image, I can only get an image.  and using the image to text - drops off at least half the document.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

That's how I make most of my PDFs -- scanning a document.  Good to know that would prevent changing it back to a editable document.

that's why people make it in PDF - it's harder to edit.

but dh needs to be able to edit these documents.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

that's why people make it in PDF - it's harder to edit.

but dh needs to be able to edit these documents.

Yes, that is why we only submit changes in PDF form.

Is it a form document that he needs to be able to fill in?  Or change text already on it.

Edited by vonfirmath

3 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Yes, that is why we only submit changes in PDF form.

Is it a form document that he needs to be able to fill in?  Or change text already on it.

a document to fill in, and make changes. 

I'm also wondering if part of it was scanned, and part original . .. I may play with it more this morning so he doesn't have to go recreate it.

2 hours ago, dmmetler said:

Save as an image (or use the snipping tool) and put it in Powerpoint or Publisher, where you can overlay text. You can then save as a .PDF to submit.

ok - you've lost me.   I have nearly zero experience with PP.   It's not very long.  (3 pages - I had to convert some for him that were many more pages)  

I think the original is a mixed format, so some converted properly, and some didn't.  then when I submitted it as an image, some converted, and some was dropped.  I'm going to try combining those and see if that leaves me with the whole doc.

2 hours ago, dmmetler said:

Save as an image (or use the snipping tool) and put it in Powerpoint or Publisher, where you can overlay text. You can then save as a .PDF to submit.

Agreeing with this.  I think you could also paste the pages into Paint, and add rectangular boxes in the spaces where text needs to be inserted.

I'll not-joke & say, "Ask your kids for help."  😉

Edited by Beth S

27 minutes ago, Beth S said:

Agreeing with this.  I think you could also paste the pages into Paint, and add rectangular boxes in the spaces where text needs to be inserted.

I'll not-joke & say, "Ask your kids for help."  😉

yeah - I have one who still lives here who could do this in his sleep.  even his bosses will call him to do excel stuff.   I'll have to wait until he gets home from work.  (why should he move?  his commute is two miles, and we live in an area that made the list of 25 cities where an income of $100K is considered - wait for it  - broke.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dmmetler said:

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

ok - you've lost me.   I have nearly zero experience with PP.   It's not very long.  (3 pages - I had to convert some for him that were many more pages)  

I think the original is a mixed format, so some converted properly, and some didn't.  then when I submitted it as an image, some converted, and some was dropped.  I'm going to try combining those and see if that leaves me with the whole doc.

Open up Powerpoint and open a blank presentation.  Go to the Design menu and on the far right, choose Slide Size.  Once the drop-list opens, choose Custom Slide Size. 

Choose Letter size paper and Portrait mode.

Open the PDF and size it so the entire page is shown on one screen.  Do Ctrl + PrtSc to add an image of the entire screen to the Clipboard.  Go into Powerpoint and hit paste on the first page of your presentation.  Your pdf page should appear.  Click on the image, go to the Picture Format menu on the far right and Crop the picture so it only includes the actual pdf (not all the other window information) and size it to fill the page.   

Go to the Home menu, choose New Slide and Blank.  Repeat for the second page of the pdf, and then again for the third page of the pdf.

Go back to your first page, go to the Insert menu and choose Text Box and click on your page near where you'd like the text box to appear.   Type the information you want into the text box, adjust the size and shape if needed (fonts work the same in all Microsoft programs), drag it to where you want it.  Then either add a new text box for the next field or if you made a lot of font changes, just copy and paste that one and change the text.  

When you are done, from the File menu you can save it as a PDF.  

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 2