Menu

Dr Hive....what could this be?

kfeusse

My 17 year old son came to me yesterday saying that for the last couple months (not sure how accurate that is) he has had a "lump" in his throat.  He said it's kind of like mucus sitting in there or something.  He has no pain, it doesn't keep him from eating or swallowing, playing his trumpet or any other "normal" things...but it bothers him...he says it's uncomfortable.  He takes a rather large vitamin each day and he says it feels like it should get stuck, although it doesn't. 

So, what could it be?  Could it really be mucus? If so, what could we do?  We live in Nebraska and we have snow on the ground, so seasonal allergies is out.  

I am planning on calling the doctor tomorrow unless we can figure out something.   I just want to rule out something serious...I suppose...

thoughts??

2 minutes ago, kand said:

Is he experiencing anxiety?

probably normal senior in high school anxiety....he has a really hard physics course...and he was prepping for the ACT which he found hard.  

I am curious what one could have to do with the other.  Please tell me more.

9 minutes ago, Martha in GA said:

I was having this problem and my doctor said it was allergies, but I'd never had seasonal allergies before. I finally realized that I had developed a nut sensitivity. Maybe he has developed a sensitivity to a food that he eats frequently?

Same with my dd who developed a nut allergy one day at age 10. The throat was the cue.

• Like 1

My dd complained about a weird sensation in her throat off and on for several years.  After she went gluten-free and had her migraines under control, it went away.  I don't know if one of those was causing it or not, but her guess was that it was all related.  Like her body reacted to a gluten intolerance with both a strange throat sensation and a susceptibility toward migraines.

What's weird is this has been going on for a couple months he said.  Not an off and on thing.   I have a daughter with a corn allergy. She has been away at college since the end of August. Since then, our food and meals haven't been corn free. Granted before she left he would eat anything he wanted for snacks, it was only meals that were corn free. But could this be a thing? Or just a coincidence?

Edited by kfeusse

I wouldn't assume it was anxiety.  Get him to a doctor.  If he thinks it's mucous his tonsils could be swollen in response to post nasal drip.  I also knew a boy at college who had that as his first symptom of non-Hodgkins lymphoma, but in his case he'd been living in a known cancer cluster due to an environmental thing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kfeusse said:

My daughter has a corn allergy, so I understand food allergies. He says it doesn't feel like it is cutting off his breathing... He even plays trumpet.  So can it still be a food allergy? 

I think I have a nut sensitivity, not an allergy. My sensitivity did not interfere with my breathing at all, it just caused mucus to collect in my throat. I could actually feel the mucus forming high up in my nose and dripping down the back of my throat, where sometimes it accumulated. Can you take a flashlight and look at the back of his throat to see if there is mucus there?

we are back from the doctor.  She said it could be the fact that his uvula (hangy down thing in the back of your throat) is longer than normal and actually touches his tongue when he swallows.  But because she could only see down his throat so far, she doesn't know if there is an actual lump or not.  So she is sending him to an ENT for them to scope his throat with a little camera like thing.  And then we will see where that takes us, I guess.  I know it's too early to be concerned...but you know, as a mom, you are always concerned. Hoping it's not something more serious. I keep telling myself that something more serious would hurt or cause other problems or have other symptoms...right??

thanks for all of your thoughts and advice.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, kfeusse said:

we are back from the doctor.  She said it could be the fact that his uvula (hangy down thing in the back of your throat) is longer than normal and actually touches his tongue when he swallows.  But because she could only see down his throat so far, she doesn't know if there is an actual lump or not.  So she is sending him to an ENT for them to scope his throat with a little camera like thing.  And then we will see where that takes us, I guess.  I know it's too early to be concerned...but you know, as a mom, you are always concerned. Hoping it's not something more serious. I keep telling myself that something more serious would hurt or cause other problems or have other symptoms...right??

thanks for all of your thoughts and advice.

My dad's uvula got really long and started causing him to choke. He had a quick and easy surgery to clip it and has been fine since.