Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Noreen Claire

buying vs borrowing (non-school) books

How do you decide which books should live with you and which should live at the library?

Example: I just finished reading aloud the last Vanderbeekers book to my boys. They loved all three books (the first and third made me cry!). I would love to own them, put them in the boys' bookcase BUT will they read them on their own? Would they be more likely to reread them if they were on the shelf? Or, should they just go into the memory hole of books & authors that we enjoy, and hopefully we will remember that when they are looking for another book to read? I feel this away about a bunch of other books, too, like certain graphic novel series that have been read & reread by multiple kids. I want to buy them all! 

FWIW, we have +/-100 library books out of the library at all times, evenly split between 'school' books and 'free reading' picture books/novels/graphic novels, with usually a half-dozen for me. There are bookshelves in each bedroom, and the boys get books for Christmas, birthdays, and Easter. We have a bunch of kids books, but nowhere near as many as they read. I could not possibly afford to buy all of the books that my kids go through each week! But, how do you decide which books are KEEPERS, and which are not? (I have this same issue with audiobooks. UGH!)

Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 1

When you go to grab it the second or third time, it's time to buy your own copy?

It's hard. I've bought books for my kids they HAVE to have that never get more than one read. And then other books that get read over and over -- until suddenly they are done (Dog man just did this in our house)

And yes we get rid of books to make room for more books.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 2

We have no space for books literally which was why we always live a short walk to the library.
The ones we kept are the foreign language ones because those are hard to get even with Link+/ILL.

The English ones are much easier to borrow from the library so we only have a few classics that my husband got for free from the library free books collection and he wants to keep. 

I am a voracious reader since childhood. My childhood home was a 850sqft two bed one bath apartment.  My parents have the money but not the space so we didn’t buy books. I easily went through 16 chapter type books (Enid Blyton, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys) daily in lower elementary school days.  

• Like 2

My answer is not my original one.  Before, it was "don't keep anything not loved and definitely not award winners because the library will have them."
BUT
My library recently came to the decision that they want to reduce the number of books so that there are more seating areas and you can see across the stacks.  I went in today and just about cried.  They started in the children's non-fiction.  Half empty shelves (down to 2 per case).  Hardly anything on topic.  There were 3 total books on the civil rights era left from an entire shelf-full. The board's reasoning is that you can always ask for what you need and they will interlibrary loan it, but oh!  So much is lost!
I filled my arms with discarded books today and they are being rescued to my home library.

• Sad 11

2 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

My answer is not my original one.  Before, it was "don't keep anything not loved and definitely not award winners because the library will have them."
BUT
My library recently came to the decision that they want to reduce the number of books so that there are more seating areas and you can see across the stacks.  I went in today and just about cried.  They started in the children's non-fiction.  Half empty shelves (down to 2 per case).  Hardly anything on topic.  There were 3 total books on the civil rights era left from an entire shelf-full. The board's reasoning is that you can always ask for what you need and they will interlibrary loan it, but oh!  So much is lost!
I filled my arms with discarded books today and they are being rescued to my home library.

Yeah... Usually you don't have time to interlibrary loan! You are doing research at the library based on what they have. (And how do you even know what books other libraries have to request?!)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

(And how do you even know what books other libraries have to request?!)

My state has a link+ catalog search page

http://linkencore.iii.com/iii/encore/;jsessionid=6AF5D329CF731B7CE7938D619D16C773?lang=eng

Participating library listing http://csul.iii.com/screens/members.html

I don’t drive so interlibrary loan is wonderful for me as I usually don’t need the books urgently. I don’t have Amazon Prime membership so ILL is usually faster than buying from Amazon. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

We have no space for books literally which was why we always live a short walk to the library.
The ones we kept are the foreign language ones because those are hard to get even with Link+/ILL.

The English ones are much easier to borrow from the library so we only have a few classics that my husband got for free from the library free books collection and he wants to keep. 

I am a voracious reader since childhood. My childhood home was a 850sqft two bed one bath apartment.  My parents have the money but not the space so we didn’t buy books. I easily went through 16 chapter type books (Enid Blyton, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys) daily in lower elementary school days.  

I have space for books, but it is full, plus some!  Every room has bookshelves, one built-ins on every wall, and there are stacks on various surfaces over that.  My general rule is, if the library has it, I borrow it.  I only buy it if they don't have it, and I really want it (like with the kids' picture books, I pretty much just went by what the library had for, say, history or science topics - with a few exceptions).

My kids are grown now, but I've returned to voracious reading for myself.  I use the library and Overdrive heavily, and pretty much only buy foreign language and independent publisher books, although I always check first because sometimes I am pleasantly surprised that I can get even those from the library after all!

3 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Yeah... Usually you don't have time to interlibrary loan! You are doing research at the library based on what they have. (And how do you even know what books other libraries have to request?!)

I am blessed to live in an area with robust libraries.  Interlibrary loan usually only takes 2 days or so, unless there's just one copy and it's checked out already.

How to know what to request from other libraries?  Go on the library website and search their catalogs.  Our libraries here are all parts of consortiums, so you just say you want to search the consortium rather than just our town library.  I actually have a second card in a neighboring town that is a member of a different consortium, so I can access two consortiums that way.  I always reserve everything online, then just go pick it up - I get an email when it comes in.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

We do have a system similar to above.  Our library is networked with several others that are farther away.  But usually when I go into the library, I browse.  I find treasures to snuggle up with like a biography of the first cryptographers in the U.S. (it's much more interesting than it sounds!).  I never would find these things if I had to search online.  There is no "you checked out these, so take a look at these" feature.  I have to search based on topic or title.  Our library is already small and intimate.  It has books from years back, like a history of the town put together for the 300th anniversary.  But these will be lost.  They are not high check outs so not worth keeping. 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am the wrong person to ask (especially this year) bc we went CRAZY with how many books were bought - for me and kids.  soooo much money was spent. My husband had to build a new bookcase...

Next year I am giving  kids book budget every qtr and will let them decide.  I am putting myself on a book buying spending freeze.  I am going to read from the shelves!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

We do have a system similar to above.  Our library is networked with several others that are farther away.  But usually when I go into the library, I browse.  I find treasures to snuggle up with like a biography of the first cryptographers in the U.S. (it's much more interesting than it sounds!).  I never would find these things if I had to search online.  There is no "you checked out these, so take a look at these" feature.  I have to search based on topic or title.  Our library is already small and intimate.  It has books from years back, like a history of the town put together for the 300th anniversary.  But these will be lost.  They are not high check outs so not worth keeping. 😞

When I used to put booklists together for my kids, I would do all the initial searching on Amazon, which does have the 'if you liked this, you'll like this other book', and it's actually reasonably good.  Also, Amazon lets you search by topic, not just author or title.  Then I would go with my list of titles and order from the library.  

Btw, Goodreads also has one of those 'if you liked this...' algorithms, but in spite of having been bought by Amazon, apparently it's a totally different, and horribly inaccurate one.  Like, recently I read some book set in Africa, with topics including misogyny and polygamy, and Goodreads piped up that since I liked that book, I was sure to like Pat the Bunny. Yes, the board book.  WTH.  They give me bizarro 'recommendations' like that regularly.  But the Amazon algorithm seems to be fairly well done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

When you go to grab it the second or third time, it's time to buy your own copy?

I have done this with Lego titles and coding books for DS7. When he takes it home every.single.time we go to the library, it's time to buy!

40 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

This makes me want to cry! 

19 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

Next year I am giving  kids book budget every qtr and will let them decide. 

This is a great idea! If I can ask, what ages are your kids and what ballpark do you think your book budgets will be? (Feel free to not answer my money question.)

13 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

When I used to put booklists together for my kids, I would do all the initial searching on Amazon, which does have the 'if you liked this, you'll like this other book', and it's actually reasonably good.  Also, Amazon lets you search by topic, not just author or title.  Then I would go with my list of titles and order from the library. 

I do this, too! I search on Amazon and then request through interlibrary loan.

I envy your library. Ours is truly horrible- child, YA, Adult section- all of them-  so I just buy everything on Amazon. But i wish my kids had a good library to go to like yours. They would enjoy it.

I feel like even Barnes and Noble stinks anymore and that's the only bookstore left here. I need to find some independent book shop in Houston or something I guess! 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I feel like even Barnes and Noble stinks anymore and that's the only bookstore left here. I need to find some independent book shop in Houston or something I guess! 

Half Price Bookstore.  There are a few in the Houston, TX area e.g. https://m.yelp.com/biz/half-price-books-houston

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Half Price Bookstore.  There are a few in the Houston, TX area e.g. https://m.yelp.com/biz/half-price-books-houston

We do have one. They just aren't very awesome either in the kids section- better for the others. I go sometimes, but I usually end up better off online for the selection/what they charge for kids books. I think Thriftbooks and the other Used book sellers on Amazon are going to end up running them out of business eventually here.  I did manage to get almost a whole set of You Wouldn't Want to Be A........ from them new at a great price, but that's my best brag there. They tend to be high with their in store prices. 

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

I have done this with Lego titles and coding books for DS7. When he takes it home every.single.time we go to the library, it's time to buy!

This makes me want to cry! 

This is a great idea! If I can ask, what ages are your kids and what ballpark do you think your book budgets will be? (Feel free to not answer my money question.)

I do this, too! I search on Amazon and then request through interlibrary loan.

Sooooo....my kids are 8, 9 and 11.  I am starting with $25 / per kid  / per qtr.

I based that on the fact that we spent $613 on kids books this year so far, so I am going to try to cut that in half (it might not work!).  that will not include books that they can request as holiday and bday presents (my oldest has done that numerous times).

ETA:  they already learned that amazon is cheaper than B&N (even with my educator discount) and that library sales are awesome for book-buying.

I am guessing that my youngest will spend his $$ on January 1st and then will start begging for more for the next 90 days and my oldest will have $50 going into June major book sale at our library 🙂  We'll see.....

Edited by SereneHome
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I envy your library. Ours is truly horrible- child, YA, Adult section- all of them-  so I just buy everything on Amazon. But i wish my kids had a good library to go to like yours. They would enjoy it.

I remember the Aldine district library system as being excellent when I was growing up in Houston

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

I, also, am the wrong person to ask, as I look around at the 5000+ books in this house... 

And I am on the opposite end of the scale.  I likely have 50 books max in our house.  When we moved, I majorly downsized and kept just a few classic kids books and I have some non fiction reference books and a very few fiction books.  I read 95% of my stuff on my kindle.  I listen to audiobooks and have a great library system.  I am never lacking for things to read.

I thought about keeping more books but they really wouldn't have been read much.....and I donated a large portion of them to my friend's rural "little library" she runs in her tiny community (closest tiny public library is 8-10 miles away).  She said books disappear so fast she can hardly keep up.  I figured better to get them into the hands of people that will read them and might not otherwise have access than to keep them sitting on my shelf.

I don't begrudge anyone though that wants to keep a large selection of books at home.

• Like 3

I buy quite a few books, but I donate quite a few as well.  Very often we buy from the library sale, read them, and donate them back.  I have been known to check out favorites that I already own to save wear and tear on our copies and to make sure they are checked out periodically.  Libraries often decide what to keep based on circulation.  I have a love/hate relationship with I!L...it always makes me nervous to have them in the house.

• Like 1

We have five full size bookcases in our school and one half size. All are full of books. We have bookcases in every room (except one bedroom and the laundry room). We have one room upstairs filled with books. We have a bookshelf in the kitchen for cookbooks. We have two walls of our large game room filled with bookshelves containing books. 

We love books. We have plenty so you can always go find a good book to read or reread. 

So, we always just bought books. Our library system here though - it is pretty bad. But we love books!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ottakee said:

And I am on the opposite end of the scale.  I likely have 50 books max in our house.  When we moved, I majorly downsized and kept just a few classic kids books and I have some non fiction reference books and a very few fiction books. 

We never move!

• Like 1