Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Chris in VA

Cake-like "Betty Crocker style" Blueberry Muffin?

I would like to make a batch of blueberry muffins but the recipes I usually use are too...IDK, yucky. I unashamedly like Betty Crocker's muffin mixes. They are cake-y, not muffin-y, and sweet. 

Anyone have a recipe for a muffin like that?

If you aren't worried about it being at all healthy, use a yellow cake mix and make cupcakes with blueberries added. If you can't get yellow cake mix in your part of the world, there are tons of recipes for from-scratch yellow cake online. Cake flour makes from scratch cakes moist and fluffy but if you can't get it, put two tablespoons of corn starch in for every cup of flour and sift it before putting it in the batter. Sift it like your life depends on it. I usually sift it 5 or 6 times before I'm happy enough with the consistency to put it in the batter.

• Like 1

I use the King Arthur recipe for blueberry muffins. They’re more cake like than store bought muffins. You could probably mix up a homemade cake recipe, add a cup of berries, then top it with the sugary stuff.

• Like 2

Ok, Dot, I went with your recommendation! They are in the oven--batter was super-thick, but I used weight measurement instead of cups, so I think it turned out well. We'll see in about 20 mins! Thanks for all the help.

Well, they came out very dense and "substantial" but taste really good! The batter was almost like cookie dough. I'm still on the hunt for a much lighter muffin (no cake mix here in town, or at least not one I want to purchase). 

• Like 1

These melt in your mouth muffins are very cake-like.  You can use any fruit.  Sorry I couldn't post it from my phone the other day.

blueberry muffins.jpg

@Tina I saw "8 c flour" and jumped to "makes 1.5 doz" and thought DANG those must be huge muffins! Then I saw it is a mix and you only use a couple cups of the mix 😂.

Edited by Chris in VA
  • Like 1