Menu

need legging and graphic t shirt recommendations

ktgrok

I never used to wear graphic t-shirts, but the other day I did and it looked cute! I mean, I NEVER in my life did - I thought they made me look fat. This past Friday was the first time, just out of desperation because although I lost a ton of weight with my bariatric surgery I've stress gained back 12 pounds all in the belly and none of my regular shirts that fit well in the belly were clean. So I wore the Make America Kind Again shirt my husband gave me with some jeans (the pull on ones I heard about here) and it was cute! So, I want more, but don't know where to buy them. The ones I saw I liked on Amazon had horrible reviews about the colors running onto the lettering, etc. I like ones about kindness, coffee, dogs, faith, etc. I don't want to pay a fortune. i don't need excellent quality, but I'm not gong to wash them in unicorn tears and air dry with angel wings, you know? I would wear a large I imagine, i don't like clingy. Prefer V neck but can do other necklines but not high necked - sensory issues mean it can't be right on my throat. Softer is better, but not super thin where ever dimple shows 🙂

I also want to try some leggings. Can you believe I'm 42 and a mom and have NEVER worn leggings? I found some longer tanks and want to pair them with leggings. I do not want to spend a ton on these, as I'm not sure I'll like them. I'm 5'1 and currently 155-160, although planning to buckle down and gt back under 155 ASAP. I wear a large in elastic waist stuff, a 12 in other stuff. I'm an apple - all the weight is in the belly. A higher smoother waistband maybe ?

• Like 1

I love those graphic Ts with chapters or even whole classic books printed on them! https://www.litographs.com/collections/t-shirts

I know it's MLM, but I like the leggings from Lularoe. A teacher-friend of my niece sells it and she has good delivery and is trying to stay home with her kiddo, so I don't feel bad throwing her name out there--PM me if you would like it. She also has some Christmas graphics she will put on Lularoe tops for free. She is pretty clever and decided to do that to add to her business. 

Edited by Chris in VA

I love my Life is Good tees - soft and non-clingy. I like their v-necks over the crew neck. They are expensive, so I wait till they go on sale at the end of the season. There will be no faith shirts, but dogs, coffee, and kindness will all show up.

Well, it looks like most are holiday shirts right now. So maybe the regular ones are on sale somewhere? There are several fall ones and some general winter ones as well though. Keep scrolling down.

https://www.lifeisgood.com/women/graphic-tees/?pageID=2&prefn1=neckline&prefv1=Vee

Edited by Bambam

Also - I don't wear graphic tops either, but you DID look so cute in the top you posted in the chili thread the other day that you seriously had me considering changing my whole style.  Which at the moment is fleece lined long underwear layered under wool and corduroys because it is COLD.

47 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Walmart has some excellent leggings.  Uniqlo sells these legging that look like  jeans that are fantastic. Carhartt makes leggings that are awesome and have functional pockets.

I have to go there today anyway, so I'll get a pair. That way I can see if I like wearing them without the investment, lol.

1 hour ago, Chris in VA said:

I love those graphic Ts with chapters or even whole classic books printed on them! https://www.litographs.com/collections/t-shirts

I know it's MLM, but I like the leggings from Lularoe. A teacher-friend of my niece sells it and she has good delivery and is trying to stay home with her kiddo, so I don't feel bad throwing her name out there--PM me if you would like it. She also has some Christmas graphics she will put on Lularoe tops for free. She is pretty clever and decided to do that to add to her business. 

I love those shirts! And I'll see about LLR after I try the others and make sure I like wearing them, lol. 

Welcome to the dark side.  Once you embrace leggings, there's no going back.  Bwa ha ha.

I am a leggings snob, and if I weren't already married, I would marry my Lululemons in the Luxtreme fabric.  But, as a gateway legging, the Amazon leggings someone mentioned above aren't bad.  They come in a cropped and longer length (longer length linked), and a fashion blogger I read swears by them.  I had a pair and didn't love them, but I am in a clear minority.  

I love graphic tees. (I usually pair with jeans, though -- no leggings.) I just bought this top for DD for Christmas so I can't give real feedback yet, but I thought it was cute. (Didn't buy for me because it looks to have cuff at the waist and I'm hippy): https://www.amazon.com/TECREW-Womens-Rainbow-Sweatshirt-Pockets/dp/B07G33ZJTX/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=ya_aw_od_pi

Since you mentioned dogs and coffee, I have to put in a plug for one of my favorites, Grounds and Hounds. They are a coffee company that donates 20% of all profits to rescue programs. Their motto is Every Pound Saves a Hound.🙂 They also have super cute and comfy dog-and-coffee related shirts.

https://groundsandhoundscoffee.com/collections/womens-apparel

Their hoodies are awesome, too. And their coffee!

• Like 2

No cheap leggings. You won’t be able to truly know if you do, or do not, love leggings if you try some that are thin, partially see-through, don’t wash well, don’t hold their shape well, etc. 

i love anything from athleta. They have leggings, pants, and jeans that are amaaaaaazing. Pricey, yes. But they have sales (and petite sizing iirc!). The way they fit through the waist/stomach area is a dream. 

2 hours ago, Selkie said:

Since you mentioned dogs and coffee, I have to put in a plug for one of my favorites, Grounds and Hounds. They are a coffee company that donates 20% of all profits to rescue programs. Their motto is Every Pound Saves a Hound.🙂 They also have super cute and comfy dog-and-coffee related shirts.

https://groundsandhoundscoffee.com/collections/womens-apparel

Their hoodies are awesome, too. And their coffee!

And...I;m going to need one of everything....

• Haha 2

Like you, I’m somehow not on the bandwagon of moms who wear leggings, even though I’m a mom in my early 40s! I actually just bought a pair last month so I could finally give them a shot. I bought some from aerie on the recommendation of my BFF. They were extremely comfortable in the store...like, way better than workout gear, which is what I thought they’d feel like. I got the comfort high rise ones. Full disclosure though, I still haven’t actually worn them. 😳 

eta: these, in black 

https://www.ae.com/us/en/p/women/leggings/aerie-leggings/aerie-play-real-me-high-waisted-7-8-legging/0491_4429_215?menu=cat4840006

Edited by mmasc

I tend to stick with jeggings if I get leggings (gotta have those pockets) although I'll check some of these out that have been mentioned. The ones I have are from Target....I forget which brand/line, but I love them. 

I will add my vote for TeeTurtle shirts -- I own gobs. Their coffee ones are hilarious, tons of fun stuff. We saw them at a local ComicCon one year and the boys liked them, we promptly ordered more, and have been serial orderers ever since (the entire family gets at least one every Christmas). I don't think they have v-neck, just regular t-shirt neckline, but you can choose between ladies' cut and unisex (the ladies cut is obviously clingier but not terrible; if you get that version, size one size up as they are more like juniors sizing than womens sizing).

I've had some of mine for probably 5 years now......you cannot tell the age, that's how well they wear/hold up. My oldest shirt from them still looks as good as my newest shirt from them.

So far I've received a t-shirt that is too small, lol, and not pulled the trigger on leggings. 

someone here recommended someone to order LuLaRoe from...maybe I'll bite the bullet and try them. But will they work for an apple shaped woman who is 5'1? 

The ones I tried at Walmart were terrible, although I think maybe I needed a size up. 

I need something though....I currently own all of two pairs of pants, lol. One pair of baggy linen pants that I LOVE LOVE LOVE and those jeggings from the other thread. I have another pair of jeggins on order, and am going to order another pair of the linen pants, but the linen ones need a more fitted shirt. The Jeggins and leggings would be for longer tunic styles - my husband really likes me in the tighter bottoms and looser tops and I get compliments when I wear that combo. I just personally like wearing the looser linen bottoms and a more fitted shirt - and for personal female health reasons prefer loose garments in the nether regions at least some of the time. But I do want some more options for the way I seem to look better, lol. 

Read the MLM reviews first, k? 

I bought my jeggings at a local ladies’ store. They’re nice and thick, not see through, and have worn well for the past couple of years. I also have a set of the Costco fleece lined ones, and a cheap set from a chain store. Those are all risky thin, but good for around the house or working out.

fwiw I got some Lularoe at Goodwill, I can tell no difference between them and the $6 pair I picked up at Ross. I actually like the Ross ones better because of how they fit. There are lots of soft leggings out there, they are not special. They are also not particularly thick, I do not feel comfortable wearing them outside the house, although I wear workout leggings out and about quite often if I'm out shopping before or after working out.

So, I found the regular leggings at walmart yesterday - hidden by the changing area. The ones I'd tried before were like tights, these are regular leggings - high waisted. OMG! I get it now!!!!! I have them on with a long t-shirt and so comfy!!!!!!

Will definitely get a few more pairs! And may try the fleece lined ones for winter. 

• Like 2

I've bought graphic t-shirts off amazon.  if you have an idea of what you want, just input the search terms.

I've looked at a lot of "glass half full//etc." shirts.  for engineers (he doesn't wear them anymore, and gave it to dudeling), for accountants. (I returned it.) - he does wear the "beard - accountant' shirt I got him.  and he's growing his beard out again.  (he has moles on his face. when he shaves they get cut.)

I really wanted to get 2dd a "potions master" with a cauldron, but they tend to be about snape.

8 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

So, I found the regular leggings at walmart yesterday - hidden by the changing area. The ones I'd tried before were like tights, these are regular leggings - high waisted. OMG! I get it now!!!!! I have them on with a long t-shirt and so comfy!!!!!!

Will definitely get a few more pairs! And may try the fleece lined ones for winter. 

The fleece lined ones are excellent.  

• Like 1

Time and Tru brand, folded on a hanger more like tights, they were on an end cap near the dressing room at my walmart. There were Jeggings and fleece lined leggings in the normal clothing area, and then in the juniors area there were the thin tights like ones. These are 57% cotton, 38%polyester, 5% spandex - that's for the heathered looking colors, the solids I think are a different fabric mix. I THINK these are the same ones. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Time-and-Tru-Women-s-Knit-Leggings-2-Pack/855220333

• Thanks 1