Menu

Interesting wearable tech

Laura Corin

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I've spent a lot of time researching the current state of individualized genomics. I don't think the science is yet at a point where a device like this would be truly reliable.

With the exception of a few conditions, genetic influences on which foods will be healthiest for us individually are still very much in the beginning stages of being unravelled. The influence of genes is also impacted by epigenetics, which cannot be determined by SNP's. And our body's digestion and absorption of food is profoundly affected by our microbiome, also unique to us and not encoded in our DNA.

Fifty years from now we may have the knowledge and ability to parse all those influences and create a program that could direct our food choices individually but at this stage I think it is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

It may be beneficial to people who struggle with maintaining a healthy diet and are motivated by something that feels so high tech and personalized.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

I think it might be a help over struggling with reading package labels.  

I wonder if it can test for antigens to wheat or dairy proteins or that sort of thing.   And wonder Is it any good outside of the boxed packaging sections of store. 

• Like 1