Menu

What's with the ads?

We are having what is our normal one time a year January cold snap right now, we are off school this week with various people traveling/visiting, and I just want to sit with a blanket and eat all the things and do nothing. I won't even say what the temp is here because you hardened Northerners who deal with this temp in a tank top will laugh. But it's cold to me!  Just wondering how this little cold snap was treating everyone else? 

• Like 12
  • Haha 6

Oh, now I really want to know what temperature it is! Post it in Celsius if it's above freezing, it'll sound ever so much colder, at least to us fellow Americans.

• Haha 2

Ha, it’s about 20f here, which isn’t too bad, but the wind is very biting when it gusts.  My kids are all whiny it is cold while simultaneously being excited the snow fell and is sticking.  They’re very mixed depending on the moment.

• Like 4

Chilly here, too. (But not below freezing because it's raining today, too.)

So far today, we're on our 2nd Netflix Christmas rom-com, with hot chocolate and tree decorating on the side. (We at least did school before lunch!)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Oh, now I really want to know what temperature it is! Post it in Celsius if it's above freezing, it'll sound ever so much colder, at least to us fellow Americans.

In that case it's 7 degrees C!!! Not counting wind chill. If we count the wind chill, we're all the way to an impressive 3.8 degrees C. 

But that is REALLY cold for here, especially this time of year which is usually about 80 F. Actually yesterday it WAS almost 80 F. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We are under a winter weather advisory.  I had my first ever PAID snow day now that I work for the schools.  My area is not got about 6 inches of snow.  20 miles south got hit with 12+....which is why schools were closed 

Average temp is about 30° warmer than our current 20° 

• Like 3

Yes!  It was 27 this morning, with wind-chill of 8.  But I saw on my Facebook memories that ientioned the same on this date in a prior year.

• Like 1

The most entertaining part of this for you cold weather types would be watching all of the people try and save their plants because it's supposed to freeze tonight. We aren't big landscapers in my neighborhood as it would just be eaten by livestock or wildlife, but if you drive into the little suburbs there is the draping of sheets and all sorts of things over their landscaping and dragging plants indoors. 

Also the local weather people are really, really excited which would probably make for comical viewing for many of you. This type of thing is second only to impending tropical storms/hurricanes/flooding. The only thing more they can ask for is if we were to have icy roads tomorrow. Then they would be given over the airwaves for all day coverage. They live for that type of thing. Ice! We're all going to die!! (Well maybe you would if you tried to drive with any of us on ice. We are really bad at it.) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My mother in TX  is toasty warm now, she woke up miserably cold but told me she then set her heater to 79!  I’ve been telling her for days that she needed to bring her porch plants in, but she refused to believe me, said ‘her’ weather channel predicted lows of 57, never was a fan of my liberal news channels. I will spend the next 3 days listening to her sad stories of dead plants that she dearly loved. 

It’s 19 here, which will also be the high tomorrow. Plenty of snow for the dog to exhilarate in. Only 180 more days and things will warm up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think I did my last haul from the garden today and my fingers froze.  It's in the 30s, so not the end of the world, but it seems too soon for it to be this cold.  I just ate a late lunch and I want to nap for four hours.  I have STUFF to do, but here I sit.  My laptop is keeping me warm.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

My mother in TX  is toasty warm now, she woke up miserably cold but told me she then set her heater to 79!  I’ve been telling her for days that she needed to bring her porch plants in, but she refused to believe me, said ‘her’ weather channel predicted lows of 57, never was a fan of my liberal news channels. I will spend the next 3 days listening to her sad stories of dead plants that she dearly loved. 

It’s 19 here, which will also be the high tomorrow. Plenty of snow for the dog to exhilarate in. Only 180 more days and things will warm up.

Holy cow, 79! That is toasty. Maybe her plants will be okay from the heat output from the house, LOL. 

It was pretty warm here yesterday and now the temperature's dropped dramatically, so I feel you even if our specific high and lows are different. A huge change in temperature is always the worst.

• Like 1

Yesterday in the 60s, this morning at 7 am, it was 17 degrees F, without windchill, and that wind was TERRIBLE.

Record breaking cold and what do you know? That stupid cow we've been waiting on to calve...what did she do? Dropped that calf last night. Didn't even go down into a hollow or under a tree. Right out in the middle of the field in the blowing wind with sleet and snow everywhere. Calf was up and licked off and nursing this morning, so she did a good job. Amazing that the little guy made it. Sometimes they surprise you. She had to have had an easy delivery or he would have died. In this kind of cold, if they don't get right up and get to nursing they die. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

The most entertaining part of this for you cold weather types would be watching all of the people try and save their plants because it's supposed to freeze tonight. We aren't big landscapers in my neighborhood as it would just be eaten by livestock or wildlife, but if you drive into the little suburbs there is the draping of sheets and all sorts of things over their landscaping and dragging plants indoors. 

Well I'm in the north and I just lost my remaining fall raspberries in the cold. A couple days ago they were lovely and red; now they are flash frozen under a layer of ice and snow. 😞. I would have picked them (and covered a few other things) had I been around before the temps dropped. 

Usually the sheets over plants thing happens here in the “spring” (that’d be April or May, when it’s warm for you but for us it still means snow and freezing temps). It’s almost impossible to resist planting a few pretties before it’s safe...

• Like 1

Same here. Yesterday it was beautiful here, but then the wicked cold front arrived today and I’m just so cold. 

Here’s a funny: we had the HVAC repairman here this morning fixing something with our temp sensor (it’s a new unit, but something we didn’t know was wrong until it got cold here). At one point I walked to the first floor from the second and was met with this beautiful, wafting, warm, lovely heat. I was like, “Wow! That feels amazing! Good job, HVAC Guy!” And then dh walked in and said, “72?!?! Why is it up so high???” And then, poof! He moved it back to just freezing enough to be constantly miserable. 🤨 

I don’t know...I wouldn’t want to live where it’s hot-hot, because I don’t like that either, but I feel like I cannot tolerate the cold as well as I used to, even though that’s not saying much really. I quit snow skiing because I was frozen all the time; it was difficult to see what was fun about that. I’m so happy when it’s like 70-75*. And then I’m sad the other 362 days of Maryland weather. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Yesterday in the 60s, this morning at 7 am, it was 17 degrees F, without windchill, and that wind was TERRIBLE.

Record breaking cold and what do you know? That stupid cow we've been waiting on to calve...what did she do? Dropped that calf last night. Didn't even go down into a hollow or under a tree. Right out in the middle of the field in the blowing wind with sleet and snow everywhere. Calf was up and licked off and nursing this morning, so she did a good job. Amazing that the little guy made it. Sometimes they surprise you. She had to have had an easy delivery or he would have died. In this kind of cold, if they don't get right up and get to nursing they die. 

I didn’t know an animal would even do that. I thought they were sort of wise about where to calve. 

Glad the little one made it. Goodness, what an unwelcome start! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

😂😂😂 Someone in this household would say the exact same thing to me...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I won't even say what the temp is here because you hardened Northerners who deal with this temp in a tank top will laugh.

I know, my Southern friend called me today and is like it's so cold here, it's 52! I'm like yeah, I sunbathe in that. She's like it's going down to 48! I'm like yup, I sunbathe in that too. :biggrin:

But I feel for you! Just get it out of your system so when I fly your way we're back to GLOBAL WARMING. Got that? In xxxx dial in global warming and set the thermostat to there. Gorgeous, warm, sandy cruising weather. :biggrin:

Edited by PeterPan
  • Haha 1

I wear winter attire when it hits 60degF. I was wearing hoodie, down coat, long gloves, scarf, winter boots when walking to the train station at 6:30am last week. I wear a windbreaker in summer so I really pile on in winter.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Quill said:

I didn’t know an animal would even do that. I thought they were sort of wise about where to calve. 

Glad the little one made it. Goodness, what an unwelcome start! 

Snorts....

If only....They can be pretty stupid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I wear winter attire when it hits 60degF. I was wearing hoodie, down coat, long gloves, scarf, winter boots when walking to the train station at 6:30am last week. I wear a windbreaker in summer so I really pile on in winter.

You're my type of people!! I've got my fleece lined Yoga pants on, my LL Bean fleece slippers, a cardigan and Im sitting IN MY HOUSE. 😂

• Like 1

We are having what is our normal one time a year January cold snap right now, we are off school this week with various people traveling/visiting, and I just want to sit with a blanket and eat all the things and do nothing. I won't even say what the temp is here because you hardened Northerners who deal with this temp in a tank top will laugh. But it's cold to me!  Just wondering how this little cold snap was treating everyone else? 

It's wretched.

Look, I normally enjoy winter.  It hits -20+ windchill and I marvel at our bravery, start a fire, use cocoa to cheer on winter nights, and think myself a marvel.

It's freaking November.  It should be 45.  This morning, at sunrise, we had a windchill in the negative teens.  I'm not doing this.  Uh uh - nope.  The cold is hitting me particularly hard this year - I hadn't realized how much I'd progressed until the cold emphasized my spasticity.  I am miserable and I would have considered moving to Texas, but now you tell me it's cold there too?  Is no place safe from winter?!  

Stick a fork in me.  I'm staying in until April.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

When it warms up I'd love a pic of the new baby. Cows can be dumb as dirt, you're right, but man I miss baby calves. I don't miss livestock drama, but I do miss seeing the babies. The people down the road from us raise Angus and they have a whole fleet of little ones right now and I could sit there all day watching them play. Those little tails up like flags just running around, and then all getting bedded down with their babysitter after a good round of play. 

• Like 3

I am in full agreement with you. It's crazy and I hate it. 

We had to run up to DS at college last night (he left his laptop cord here, Best Buy didn't have them, and Amazon couldn't get one there sooner than Thursday.....). Oh.My.Heck. All those kids who'd gone to class earlier in the day and were then running back to apartments in the post-cold-front temps. I wanted to scoop them all up and offer them all rides. 

Our favorite weather guy today asked for pics of the "ice halo" around the sun......who knew that was even a thing. 

I have on my softest, fuzziest, favoritest sweatshirt and fuzzy socks, heat on, blankets......and we have to run up to the other kid's college, pick him up, take him to a bday dinner for a friend, and return him to school either tonight or in the morning. :sigh: I'd so much rather just sit home and drink hot chocolate.....

*for those reading, since Texan doesn't want to say the temps, I will say that the location of the school had a 20 degree drop in a 15 minute time span; it was not jacket weather before the drop. It dropped an additional lot after it got dark so then went from jacket weather to "really big jacket" weather, and wind-chills were below freezing (and it was raining/sleeting at the time too....)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is 11 degrees F here now, and was -3 when I went out to do morning chores. I'm not mentally prepared for it to be this cold this early. When I was walking out the door this morning, I felt like I was forgetting something, but shrugged it off. It wasn't until I had been outside for several minutes that I realized I had forgotten to wear a hat.🤷‍♀️

Hopefully, this early cold snap is not a portent of things to come. Last winter was brutal, with a record breaking low of -38 and wind chills in the -55 range. Do not want to experience that again!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

It's wretched.

Look, I normally enjoy winter.  It hits -20+ windchill and I marvel at our bravery, start a fire, use cocoa to cheer on winter nights, and think myself a marvel.

It's freaking November.  It should be 45.  This morning, at sunrise, we had a windchill in the negative teens.  I'm not doing this.  Uh uh - nope.  The cold is hitting me particularly hard this year - I hadn't realized how much I'd progressed until the cold emphasized my spasticity.  I am miserable and I would have considered moving to Texas, but now you tell me it's cold there too?  Is no place safe from winter?!  

Stick a fork in me.  I'm staying in until April.

I hear Costa Rica is nice!!.........Our weather is nutty here all the time. We are an inconsistent place. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Also the local weather people are really, really excited which would probably make for comical viewing for many of you. This type of thing is second only to impending tropical storms/hurricanes/flooding. The only thing more they can ask for is if we were to have icy roads tomorrow. Then they would be given over the airwaves for all day coverage. They live for that type of thing. Ice! We're all going to die!! (Well maybe you would if you tried to drive with any of us on ice. We are really bad at it.) 

DH was debating which plants to cover/bring in, which to ignore. Over the years, he's slowly just given up and let the freeze whittle out the weaker plants so we don't have to deal with that, and only plants stuff that can survive it now. 

Driving home from ds's school, we saw lots of people parked on the side of the road. Couldn't understand it...there wasn't ice, but they were stopped like there was......so weird. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I know, my Southern friend called me today and is like it's so cold here, it's 52! I'm like yeah, I sunbathe in that. She's like it's going down to 48! I'm like yup, I sunbathe in that too. :biggrin:

But I feel for you! Just get it out of your system so when I fly your way we're back to GLOBAL WARMING. Got that? In xxxx dial in global warming and set the thermostat to there. Gorgeous, warm, sandy cruising weather. :biggrin:

My kids keep praying for snow, so I'll make sure they blackout that date for your cruise on the prayers. 😂

My MIL keeps saying we're going to have snow this year because we had a TS this fall. If she's right I'm going to try and get her a gig with the local weather station. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

My kids keep praying for snow, so I'll make sure they blackout that date for your cruise on the prayers. 😂

My MIL keeps saying we're going to have snow this year because we had a TS this fall. If she's right I'm going to try and get her a gig with the local weather station. 

My middle son wants snow. His thinking is, if it's going to be this cold *anyway*, at least we should have the snow to go with it. 

I am really not in favor. 

Of course, the year that our area actually had that huge snow, roughly 14 or 15 years ago, on Christmas.....? We had just moved further south than we are right now. Oldest DS, who was 7 at the time, said, "Maybe now that we've moved, it will snow!" We tried so hard to explain to him that we had even *less* chance of snow than before. He didn't believe us, and prayed for it to snow for Christmas. We prayed for God to soothe his heart and protect his faith when he, of course, would wake up to no snow. Because, south Texas. 

God apparently wanted to to teach us a lesson about childlike faith, and of course we woke up to around 9" of snow on the ground. The boys called it a flood of snow (we'd had an actual flood earlier that year.....maybe there's something to your MIL's theory??). They dubbed it the best Christmas gift ever, and DS said, "See, I *told* you it would snow....."  We had a heck of a time convincing him that this was an utter anomaly and unlikely to happen again in his lifetime......

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheReader said:

DH was debating which plants to cover/bring in, which to ignore. Over the years, he's slowly just given up and let the freeze whittle out the weaker plants so we don't have to deal with that, and only plants stuff that can survive it now. 

Driving home from ds's school, we saw lots of people parked on the side of the road. Couldn't understand it...there wasn't ice, but they were stopped like there was......so weird. 

I am on the low maintenance plant plan myself, and have gradually killed off all of the high maintenance plants the old owners had here. My Mother and one of my good friends are super gardening people- the types that know all the plant names and go to plant nurseries in far flung places for fun- and they are both horrified by my lack of gardening love/ability, but I'm feeling pretty happy and secure in my choices about that today. 😄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheReader said:

My middle son wants snow. His thinking is, if it's going to be this cold *anyway*, at least we should have the snow to go with it. 

I am really not in favor. 

Of course, the year that our area actually had that huge snow, roughly 14 or 15 years ago, on Christmas.....? We had just moved further south than we are right now. Oldest DS, who was 7 at the time, said, "Maybe now that we've moved, it will snow!" We tried so hard to explain to him that we had even *less* chance of snow than before. He didn't believe us, and prayed for it to snow for Christmas. We prayed for God to soothe his heart and protect his faith when he, of course, would wake up to no snow. Because, south Texas. 

God apparently wanted to to teach us a lesson about childlike faith, and of course we woke up to around 9" of snow on the ground. The boys called it a flood of snow (we'd had an actual flood earlier that year.....maybe there's something to your MIL's theory??). They dubbed it the best Christmas gift ever, and DS said, "See, I *told* you it would snow....."  We had a heck of a time convincing him that this was an utter anomaly and unlikely to happen again in his lifetime......

Awwww.... that's pretty awesome! I have never seen 9" of snow in my life. We got 3" the first week of December after Harvey, but I do recall there being a few winters with a little bit in the last 15 years- which pretty much follows with when the hurricanes started back up when I think about it. I think we had what.....like 22 or so years without a Hurricane iirc? And then since 2005 which was I think the first since Alicia in 1983, its snowed several times.

• Like 2

Middle TN is crazy cold for November! 21 here now, 15 with the wind chill. Ugh! I want to be a snowbird in FL for the winter.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

We are having January weather too.  It's depressing.  I actually like winter and snow but jumping right to "January" with no holidays is awful!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I looked up the temp for where my dd is in texas . . .. . our low, is higher that her high.  (I dont' know where you are in texas.)

bundle up.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I looked up the temp for where my dd is in texas . . .. . our low, is higher that her high.  (I dont' know where you are in texas.)

bundle up.

We're about an hour south of Houston. It's 40 right now- supposed to get down to 30 tonight. We'll see if they're right. It's extremely cloudy tonight, which is making it pitch black out, and I wonder if it will drop as much as they think. Aren't clouds supposed to keep it from getting as cold? The wind has died down too, so maybe it won't drop as low as they're saying. 

If she's right I'm going to try and get her a gig with the local weather station. 

She could vlog with an armadillo. (instead of a groundhog) Do armadillos tell you anything about the weather? 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Haha 1

YES.  It has been like this since Halloween for us.  It snowed on Halloween.  It didn't even feel like Halloween at all.  I can get a cold snap for a few days or something, but this has been going on for 2 weeks and no let up in sight.   It was stupid cold today.  At least 3 more snowfalls in the next few days.   WTF?   

It is fall right now.   What is winter going to be like?  

• Like 1

Um no.... remember how we are leaving the cold and snow for Texas? *stomp*

Yesterday was -18C (~0F) without wind chill for Remembrance Day ceremonies. I am so very grateful my DS was inside for his, especially since there was most definitely a wind chill!

It is 93% humidity and just below freezing now. Bring back my dry cold. I do not like this damp feeling one bit. I have been sneaking the thermostat up to 19C (66F)!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

YES.  It has been like this since Halloween for us.  It snowed on Halloween.  It didn't even feel like Halloween at all.  I can get a cold snap for a few days or something, but this has been going on for 2 weeks and no let up in sight.   It was stupid cold today.  At least 3 more snowfalls in the next few days.   WTF?   

It is fall right now.   What is winter going to be like?  

Once it snows and stays, I call that winter, lol. There’s always that first frost/snow that goes away, and then boom, it happens again, and there’s the hope that it’ll go away, too, just for a couple of days... then that hope dies, and you realize it’s just winter. Bleh.

• Like 2

After the single digit °F (not taking into account wind chill) temps this morning, DD#2 feels like packing it in for the season on TNR work. The shed she's borrowing for feral cat recovery has power or the female that was waiting for her surgery today would have been an icicle. Two heaters running full blast made it bearable, though. 

I layered up this morning (lined tights, cotton pants, short sleeves shirt, flannel long sleeves, fall windbreaker) but was down to mostly one layer + flannel when I went out the rest of the day. DD#2 thought it was chilly enough to wear capris instead of shorts, but she didn't wear her tall socks so it isn't winter yet. The 1" of snow we got did stick though.

DD#1 is in Alabama & she was amused to see a dusting of snow on the roofs this morning. She doesn't own a winter coat but her flannel is pretty warm...

3 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

Once it snows and stays, I call that winter, lol. There’s always that first frost/snow that goes away, and then boom, it happens again, and there’s the hope that it’ll go away, too, just for a couple of days... then that hope dies, and you realize it’s just winter. Bleh.

Yep.  😞

I hate winter too.  I mean is it going be 6  months long this year or something?   My gosh.    I am off to look up the temps in Arizona.    80s all week.   Perfection. 

Edited by mommyoffive

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yep.  😞

I hate winter too.  I mean is it going be 6  months long this year or something?   My gosh.    I am off to look up the temps in Arizona.    80s all week.   Perfection. 

Well, in my neck of the woods/prairie I hope it’s *only* 6 months every year.... but if it stays hovering below freezing, I guess I’d learn to live with humidity, sigh.

41 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

She could vlog with an armadillo. (instead of a groundhog) Do armadillos tell you anything about the weather? 

😂 I can totally picture this. Armadillos hate the cold- it will kill them, so if we stop seeing them here and have to go to Mexico to see them in numbers that's going to tell us it's been unusually cold here and maybe those TIME magazine covers from the 70's that predicted an Ice Age were more right than we think they are now. But we need something catchy like Punxswatawney Phil. Maybe like Armageddon Arnie or something. 

18 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

Um no.... remember how we are leaving the cold and snow for Texas? *stomp*

Yesterday was -18C (~0F) without wind chill for Remembrance Day ceremonies. I am so very grateful my DS was inside for his, especially since there was most definitely a wind chill!

It is 93% humidity and just below freezing now. Bring back my dry cold. I do not like this damp feeling one bit. I have been sneaking the thermostat up to 19C (66F)!

Wow, 93% humidity is even more humid than here! It's only 62% here. That sounds so cold. My knees are aching with this, I'd be prone with that I think.

On a positive note just about everywhere will have the heat set well above 66F in December so you'll be warm and toasty. We only plop it down to 66 in the summer with the AC full bore. In the winter apparently all of the restaurants and stores want us to roast so we never have a need to buy winter clothing and if you wear a jacket inside you'll sweat to death. Fair warning. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

After the single digit °F (not taking into account wind chill) temps this morning, DD#2 feels like packing it in for the season on TNR work. The shed she's borrowing for feral cat recovery has power or the female that was waiting for her surgery today would have been an icicle. Two heaters running full blast made it bearable, though. 

I layered up this morning (lined tights, cotton pants, short sleeves shirt, flannel long sleeves, fall windbreaker) but was down to mostly one layer + flannel when I went out the rest of the day. DD#2 thought it was chilly enough to wear capris instead of shorts, but she didn't wear her tall socks so it isn't winter yet. The 1" of snow we got did stick though.

DD#1 is in Alabama & she was amused to see a dusting of snow on the roofs this morning. She doesn't own a winter coat but her flannel is pretty warm...

CAPRIS IN SINGLE DIGITS!!!???? Y'all are all nuts. I'd be decked out like an Arctic Explorer. 

Tell DD2 great job on saving the cats. That's some dedication. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I think you can learn to drive on snow, but not really ice.  It's much easier to drive in a snowy place that stays cold than a place where the temps hover at the freeze/thaw point and you have black ice everywhere mingling among patches of wet road.  It's not ridiculous to just stay off of that stuff unless you really enjoy risking injury and damage to your vehicle.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

You're my type of people!! I've got my fleece lined Yoga pants on, my LL Bean fleece slippers, a cardigan and Im sitting IN MY HOUSE. 😂

Right there with you. I've got on a thick sweatshirt, wool socks and fleece lined slippers and my thermostat is set to 72F. I don't feel happy until it's near 80 and I don't feel miserable until it gets into the upper 90s.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

I think you can learn to drive on snow, but not really ice.  It's much easier to drive in a snowy place that stays cold than a place where the temps hover at the freeze/thaw point and you have black ice everywhere mingling among patches of wet road.  It's not ridiculous to just stay off of that stuff unless you really enjoy risking injury and damage to your vehicle.  

Oh believe me, if we have ice they'll shut the entire city down. The Mayor of Houston will come on TV and Twitter and do the Please Stay Home speech, which works fine for city and government employees, but not so fine for most hourly workers at corporations who won't get paid if they don't go in, regardless of what the mayor says, so we'll still end up with people on the roads and a bunch of wrecks. And that's not counting the people who think they can drive on ice who just do it to prove a point. I think there is a Venn diagram overlap with those people and the ones who also think they'll be the one car who can make it through the flooded underpass. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

We're about an hour south of Houston. It's 40 right now- supposed to get down to 30 tonight. We'll see if they're right. It's extremely cloudy tonight, which is making it pitch black out, and I wonder if it will drop as much as they think. Aren't clouds supposed to keep it from getting as cold? The wind has died down too, so maybe it won't drop as low as they're saying. 

Yes, clouds are supposed to act like a blanket. 

Dd is in dfw.

• Like 2

It's 22 here this morning, which isn't unusual for this part of NC if it were a month or two from now, but pretty cold this early. I love it! It's like a cool, refreshing blessing after nasty summer heat and humidity. DS20 is about two hours away, up in the mountains. It's 14 there right now with a wind chill of 0.

• Like 1

My DD and her roommate are both from places with Tropical climates. They are just beginning to learn what "cold" weather is like. Yesterday, it looked like DD might see Snow Flurries, in the afternoon, but they got cold rain and no Snow. Eventually she will see Snow for the first time, that isn't in a movie...

Everyone needs to remember to dress appropriately, to protect from Frostbite and Hypothermia.

Stay warm!

• Like 2