Menu

Order of Foerster Algebra? Cover all Linear Relationships first?

Nart

My 7th grader is using Foerster Algebra. When I looked around online to see the sequence people were using with the book, I came across Kolbe Honors Algebra syllabus, which lists the order as:

Chapter 1 Expressions and Equation:           Chapter 2 Operations with Negative Numbers;                                           Chapter 3 Distributing: Axioms and Other Properties

Chapter 4 Harder Equations ;                        Chapter 7 Expressions and Equations Containing Two Variables                Chapter 8 Linear Functions, Scattered Data, and Probability

Chapter 13 Inequalities                                Chapter 5 Some Operations with Polynomials and Radicals                             Chapter 6 Quadratic Equations

Chapter 9 Properties of Exponents Chapter 10 More Operations with Polynomials

He is finishing up Chapter 4 so I am debating whether to move to Chapter 5 and then 6 or skip to 7, then 8, then 9, and maybe 13 and then back to 5 and 6.  Anyone have any pros/cons with this idea? The reason I think this might be better is that I am not sure how long he really wants to homeschool. This is his first year homeschooling and he misses his friends at school. If I put him back into school in February or March he would go back to a small private school where all 7th graders are doing pre-algebra and then half of 8th grade does Alg, while the other half continues in pre-alg. When I look at what they do in Pre-Alg this year, they briefly touch on two variables, slope, functions, and exponents. It might be better he is solid in these areas then I can do chapters 5 and 6 over the summer with him. 

I just looked at the Table of Contents for his Algebra book next year and it has Linear Relations first (functions, equations, inequalities) in the first half of the book then exponential and quadratic equations. 

If he is goes back to school next year, would he be stuck in that sequence no matter what?  So if he goes back this spring, it would be Pre-Algebra?  And even if he finishes Foerster Algebra I, he would have to repeat that in 8th grade?  Is there a Geometry class for him at this school?  Would they let you do all other subjects in their typical routine and then do independent study for math? 

I think that is a bigger question than going out of order in this textbook.  There are lots of equally good sequences for Algebra I.  The chapters at the end of this list (Ch 5, 6, 9, 10) are generally harder for most kids.  

If all that is true, I would find something else for him to do this year.  It might be counter productive for him to be in a math class so far below his abilities.  There are other things that he could do to keep moving forward mathematically. 

• 3 years later...

@madteaparty I have used Foerster's with all 8 of my kids. We just go through the book in its published sequence. Our pace gets through the bk in a yr.

1st 2 sections of a chpt done in 1 day. (Odds)

All nonword problem sections  1 day each (odds)

Word problem section (all, about 5 per day, so multiple days)

All review and test problems (1 day each.....iirc for the review section. It's been 2 yrs, so I cant remember if the review sections have 30ish or 80ish problems.....if the latter than odds)

That gets through the whole book at a relaxed pace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 8filltheheart said:

@madteaparty I have used Foerster's with all 8 of my kids. We just go through the book in its published sequence. Our pace gets through the bk in a yr.

1st 2 sections of a chpt done in 1 day. (Odds)

All nonword problem sections  1 day each (odds)

Word problem section (all, about 5 per day, so multiple days)

All review and test problems (1 day each.....iirc for the review section. It's been 2 yrs, so I cant remember if the review sections have 30ish or 80ish problems.....if the latter than odds)

That gets through the whole book at a relaxed pace.

Thanks so much. @8filltheheart this is helpful!

On 8/27/2023 at 7:48 PM, madteaparty said:

@Nart  I’m wondering if you ended up switching the order of the chapters per the Kolbe curriculum? I’m using Foerster and DO for my 7th grader (that goes to public school, so we will take our sweet time with these). I was looking for a syllabus and came across this thread. Thank you 

@madteaparty Wow, had to think about that one. I spent so much time thinking about math with my oldest child. I did indeed switch the order and followed Kolbe. I think it worked better for my son but then COVID happened. Since we were locked down it was easy to finish. He ended up going to a k-8 private school and repeated algebra because that’s all they offered up to  in 8th. I do remember the book he used in school seemed very different from Forster. For example it had many of the problems set up as functions. 

I haven’t spent much time thinking about math at all with my second son. He just started public 9th grade and at his school almost everyone has to start with math 1. Since he did algebra in 8th at the private school I signed him up for algebra 2 with Florida virtual school since it is on then UC approved list of schools/class (we live in CA).