Menu

Kid magazine subscriptions? Math/puzzles?

matrips

I'm looking for my niece (9yo) and nephew (6yo).  Sis says she likes puzzles and math.  He likes mazes.  I thought of Puzzlemania and Mathmania, but they are not true subcriptions.  They are a club.  For example, they'll send 2 Mathmania books every 2-3 weeks and it will cost $17 each time.  Not really the price range or frequency I was looking for.  Most magazine subscriptions like Cricket etc are $20-40 which is the price range we stay in for our kids gifts.

Any idea of a true monthly magazine subcription that would be like puzzlemania or mathmania or full of mazes?  If not, I can just buy sets of the books and send all at once.  But thought I'd ask 🙂

Edited by matrips
Add ages

When I was a kid, I absolutely LOVED Dell puzzle magazines - mostly crosswords and Pencil Puzzles & Word Games.  It appears Dell has been bought by Penny Press, which I did not like nearly as much way back then, but it's probably worth checking them out.  They have many different kinds.

https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/variety-puzzles/

https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/logic-math/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Getting mail is crazy fun for kids. Can you get a stack of envelopes and postage along with the magazines and pre-address them? Then you just have to pop in the mail each month! 

I did 'subscription boxes' for my college kids last year this way, because when push came to shove I couldn't bear spending so much extra money just to have someone else mail it, lol. 

That would let you add a quick note, and you could encourage them to write back. I have the cutest letters from my nephews from when they were kids 😍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Miss Mousie said:

When I was a kid, I absolutely LOVED Dell puzzle magazines - mostly crosswords and Pencil Puzzles & Word Games.  It appears Dell has been bought by Penny Press, which I did not like nearly as much way back then, but it's probably worth checking them out.  They have many different kinds.

https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/variety-puzzles/

https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/logic-math/

Whoa, I didn't know they still sold these, how fun!! 

Also check your Dollar Tree, mine often has tons of puzzle magazines for, yes, $1. I just sent my dd one that was a combo Soduko and coloring book (puzzle and picture on same page). 

Some of them are large print, which is great for middle-aged me but also might be helpful for younger kids. Easier to see, more space to write in. They had all kinds of puzzles, mazes, extreme dot to dot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, katilac said:

Getting mail is crazy fun for kids. Can you get a stack of envelopes and postage along with the magazines and pre-address them? Then you just have to pop in the mail each month! 

I did 'subscription boxes' for my college kids last year this way, because when push came to shove I couldn't bear spending so much extra money just to have someone else mail it, lol. 

That would let you add a quick note, and you could encourage them to write back. I have the cutest letters from my nephews from when they were kids 😍

I did think about this idea, but not about the pre-packaging and labeling.  That would help ensure I actually mail it each month!  Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...