Menu

Handy gifts for married adult children?

MamaSprout

What small inexpensive thing did you buy this year and made your life better/ easier?

We are having a combined Christmas/ Thanksgiving this year and want to have a token-but-useful gift for our married-and-living-in-small houses adult kids. Last year was easy, I just picked out some things we had bought/ liked over the year. This year, we're kind of struggling for ideas. We've done games in the past, last year was erasable pens, fun sticky notes and couple of useful household tools/ gadgets. I kind of like to find things people didn't know they needed and give it to them for the holidays. Thoughts?

1 minute ago, MamaSprout said:

What does yours look like?

Mine is similar to this.  I don't know the exact brand because I got it at the hardware store up at the counter, lol, but it was about the same price.  It's just a gadget that I keep in my purse.  They make fancier ones, but I'm the type to lose things if they're not nailed down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kand said:

A safety can type can opener? I’m always surprised when we go to other people’s houses that most people still have the old kind that cuts through the lid.

Ok, I'm one of those people who has the kind that cuts through the lid. I confess I was unaware there is another way to open a can. 🙈 But I'd love to be enlightened, because I hate can openers. I had 3 or 4 break in one year and now buy the very cheap ones . . . but with carpal tunnel problems in both hands, it's gotten uncomfortable enough I've been debating giving up cabinet space for an electric one. What exactly is a safety can opener, and is it easier to use than one that cuts through the lid?

Cord tacos.  They are little leather flaps with a snap, and you fold them (and snap) across a folded charging cord.  That tangle of cords in your desk drawer or car console?  No more.  You can get them on etsy and Amazon and probably lots of other places.

A digital tire gauge, but what really makes it useful is using my label maker to print out a label with the proper PSI for the tires of the recipient's vehicle.

• Like 1

My standard gift for this scenario is a Home Depot gift card if they rent or own a house. Sometime I pair that with a Purdy paint brush (if they are DIY-ers). There is something so nice about getting the inexplicably expensive air filters or light bulbs for free. Or a jump start on repainting a room that gives you a little joy and helps you live just a little longer with the inexplicable counter tops or ugly bath vanity. 🙂

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jentrovert said:

Ok, I'm one of those people who has the kind that cuts through the lid. I confess I was unaware there is another way to open a can. 🙈 But I'd love to be enlightened, because I hate can openers. I had 3 or 4 break in one year and now buy the very cheap ones . . . but with carpal tunnel problems in both hands, it's gotten uncomfortable enough I've been debating giving up cabinet space for an electric one. What exactly is a safety can opener, and is it easier to use than one that cuts through the lid?

I have had the same safety can opener for over 10 years and its great. Kuhn Rikon prepology bunny safety lid lifter. The handle mechanism is a ratchet instead of turning so its easier on the hands. Ive tried looking I dont see the bunny shape anymore but on amazon they have a new style called Kuhn Rikon Ratchet Safety Smooth Touch Can Opener, No Sharp Edges, Lid Lifter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, happi duck said:

My late dad gave everyone an "ove glove" one year.  I use it all the time!

I noticed that Sur La Table had pretty ones.

LOL Last night I ordered nice silicone oven mits for 1 of 5 gift exchange gifts I need each year. I have a set and use them ALL the time. Love 😍

I need all 5 gifts for one white elephant exchange (one for each family member) One gift each year is a kitchen gadget....see above

My second gift this year is going to be a crepe pan and mix. (in the past I have done waffles, honey/tea/coffee, spice blends/salts, and Le Crueset baking dish with brownie mix)

3rd is usually a Hydroflask or travel mug

4th is coffee gift card and trinket/coffee/etc

5th usually food related or humor.   (in the past it has been a themed food basket like all cookies from Trader Joes. Smoked salmon/cheese/olives. Assortment of tiny jams/honeys/coffee syrups etc all in extra small size.  Coffee/syrups/pour over mug. Tea pot, tea, honey. Wine and cheap funny glasses. 

If I can get a good price on black Friday, I may try to get a pillow with adjustable loft. 

Some  of my family live in tinyish houses and some are wealthy, so it is hard to find gift exchange gifts that are suitable for anyone. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

I just ordered Nite Ize reusable rubber twist ties in different lengths. and colors. I also really like the 3M removable hooks. I have some in plastic and in metal. The metal ones I used in my old house attached to the back of the outside door and they held up bulky winter coats, snow pants etc.

Edited by history-fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn’t think I had any ideas, but then someone mentioned lightbulbs.  Dh is excited about the bulbs that have batteries in them so the lights stay on if there’s a power outage. I already have an arsenal of battery and solar powered emergency lights, plus enough candles to burn down the town, but he really, really loves the bulb concept. So here’s my reminder to order him some for Christmas!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I didn’t think I had any ideas, but then someone mentioned lightbulbs.  Dh is excited about the bulbs that have batteries in them so the lights stay on if there’s a power outage. I already have an arsenal of battery and solar powered emergency lights, plus enough candles to burn down the town, but he really, really loves the bulb concept. So here’s my reminder to order him some for Christmas!

These sound cool, any link?

I am following this thread for some new ideas!

I have done a few of the things mentioned above. Also, over the last couple years, I've given really good kitchen knives to a couple of the adult couples. I bought some nice blade covers from Sur La Table to fit the knives, and put those in their stocking (each couple gets one). Also in the past I've put nice spices, olive oils from our local olive oil store, balsamic vinegars from the same store, fun little specialty food items they wouldn't typically buy themselves, bag clips, oven gloves, high quality stainless measuring spoons/cups, things like that.

Williams Sonoma always has a bucket of inexpensive knives near the counter. They are all different colors. Some are serrated edge, some straight edge. There are a few different ones. I have bought those for myself, and really like them, so I am considering one of those for each adult couple this year, along with maybe some nice cheeses/salamis, good crackers, nuts, etc. I'm not planning to do true adult gifts for my kids this year - it's just been an expensive year for everyone - so I'm gonna do each couple a nice basket of edible treats instead. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

These sound cool, any link?

Well, I didn’t realize they were this pricey, and I’m not going to check Amazon because I haven’t yet instituted my holiday “stay off my account” rule yet. But this is one link. https://www.boundery.com/products/emergency-power-led-light-bulb?variant=18424236179523&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAqqTuBRBAEiwA7B66hauHSoxEOVmAkFqCait7C0U-HNWpREP9NG69_ILnRZVffsJT0v9I1RoCzTQQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Well, I didn’t realize they were this pricey, and I’m not going to check Amazon because I haven’t yet instituted my holiday “stay off my account” rule yet. But this is one link. https://www.boundery.com/products/emergency-power-led-light-bulb?variant=18424236179523&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAqqTuBRBAEiwA7B66hauHSoxEOVmAkFqCait7C0U-HNWpREP9NG69_ILnRZVffsJT0v9I1RoCzTQQAvD_BwE

Neat.  They are cheaper on Amazon for that brand, and they have a few other cheaper brands.

8 hours ago, Kareni said:

Candles are a great gift as  recipients can admire them for a time or use them. Also there are often inexpensive candle holders to be found at thrift stores.

Regards,

Kareni

Speaking of candles, I have (and will give) the flameless set of 5 votives (varying heights) available from Costco.  Pretty realistic and remote-controlled.  Everyone who has seen them, loves them!

• Like 3

We have also done the gear ties of various sizes to replace twist ties or to hang cords in the garage. Other past ideas:

• pocket knives (found nice ones on sale)
  • mini utility knives with replaceable blades (got rave reviews on those)
  • knitted dishcloths
  • homemade cleaners (if they are from concentrate, you can put them in TSA bottles for travelers, and they can dilute and bottle them up at home)
  • homemade lotion

On 11/10/2019 at 8:10 PM, history-fan said:

I just ordered Nite Ize reusable rubber twist ties in different lengths. and colors. I also really like the 3M removable hooks. I have some in plastic and in metal. The metal ones I used in my old house attached to the back of the outside door and they held up bulky winter coats, snow pants etc.

Which hooks and how?!?! I’ve had removable Command hooks I’ve tried fall down with just a potholder or scissors. 

Thanks for this thread!  I'm not sure what I'm doing for my grown up kids this year, but I've been jotting down little ideas here and there.

Last year, my mom bought several google spots on black friday from Costco.  She gave one to each of her adult grandchildren, and me! I didn't think I wanted one, but I really like it and use it daily.

I'm planning to give kitchen dish rags (washcloths) to my adult kids - I hate a stinky wash cloth and can always use a new one (or 5), and I want my kids to feel like it's okay to let the old ones go and just use a new one.

My oldest dd got new dishes this year, and I'm thinking of buying something to go with her set - maybe a large serving bowl or several cute little bowls or a tray or something.

I'm planning to make a couple "bowl cozies" for each of my adult kids (including college student who loves ramen.)  I bought a couple at a craft show last year (a friend was selling and wanted to support her, though they are super simple to sew.)  My son and I have used them a few times this fall and they are really great for eating soup while watching TV.  That sounds silly!  But they are nice.  And we eat a lot of soup...

A cute ladle to go with them? I think I need one of these... 

I like this theme - I could print up a few of my favorite soup recipes and maybe a couple soup in a jar mixes, or soup mixes from Great Harvest Bread co?

A friend gave me a brownie server a couple years ago and it's great - you know brownies only cut well with plastic, so instead of using a plastic knife, she gave me a plastic spatula.  Mine is now lost, so this might end up in my stocking! 

Last year I gave my dd a nice grown up looking lunchbox with reusable containers.

My kids all seem to like the elastic wallets.  

I have a Simple Elephant Planner and gave one to almost graduated from college dd in September.  She's still using it, so I'd say that's a winning gift!

One year my mother-in-law gave me pan scrapers from Pampered Chef. I'm not sure what they're actually called, but they are really hard plastic and great at scraping gunk off pans without scratching them up. Each corner is different so they can get right into the edges of every dish I own. I rolled my eyes when I opened them and they sat in the package a while, but I use them nearly daily.

• Like 2

I've thought about making those fabric carriers for taking 9x13 dishes to potlucks or such.  A couple matching hot pads might be cute.   

One year I found embroidered dish towels with a family dessert type theme at a craft show, and gave everyone one of those and matching oven mitts.  Knowing that they were part of a 'set' that the family had.

My mom quilts, and has made table runners or place mats for all of us.

8 minutes ago, xahm said:

One year my mother-in-law gave me pan scrapers from Pampered Chef. I'm not sure what they're actually called, but they are really hard plastic and great at scraping gunk off pans without scratching them up. Each corner is different so they can get right into the edges of every dish I own. I rolled my eyes when I opened them and they sat in the package a while, but I use them nearly daily.

My son asked for some specifically when he got married.  That and wooden spoons.  🙂

19 hours ago, Pen said:

Which hooks and how?!?! I’ve had removable Command hooks I’ve tried fall down with just a potholder or scissors. 

They are the 3M command hooks, they are metal and come in medium and large size. They stayed up for 5 plus years. When I took them down they didn't leave any marks. I have had problems with the small plastic one not staying up but these were great. The surface has to be clean and smooth and the glue strip has to have time before you put the hook on.   I put them on the back of an outside door that was painted steel.  

• Thanks 1

This multi-function can opener is great for tough-to-open canned drinks, like Monster energy drinks. That is honestly all I use it for but it's awesome for that, lol. 

The Pampered Chef Mix and Chop to break up ground beef and sausage. It's crazy better than using a spatula or flipper. There are other brands now, you just want it to be thick and to have the four sections. 

I absolutely love it when people buy me good coffee. K-cups are my favorite, because we usually use our own coffee so it's a treat, plus you can get the variety packs and try new flavors. I'm pretty thrilled with good coffee by the pound too, though! 

If you know what streaming capabilities they have/use, like Amazon or Google Play, you can do a movie night box. Popcorn, candy, and so much credit to buy or rent a movie. 

22 minutes ago, history-fan said:

and the glue strip has to have time before you put the hook on.

Thanks I’ll try metal ones.  Though Maybe my surfaces are too irregular.

What do you mean by the glue strip has to have time before you put the hook on? 

Do you start with the wall /door etc side and let it stay there for a time (how long?) before removing the hook side glue protector? 

Is temperature a factor? Some weatherstripping I put said to use a hair blow dryer to help set the adhesive.  Other adhesives have said to use a blow dryer to help remove them.

I am super fond of my fold-out silicone trivet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000VLVFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also like this huge plastic bag holder / dispenser: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PK5H1TG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these hangers which reduce shoulder "bumps" when hang-drying shirts and sweaters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017VF9YAS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7 hours ago, Pen said:

Thanks I’ll try metal ones.  Though Maybe my surfaces are too irregular.

What do you mean by the glue strip has to have time before you put the hook on? 

Do you start with the wall /door etc side and let it stay there for a time (how long?) before removing the hook side glue protector? 

If your wall is textured try double the weight you need to hang. Think this might be the heaviest workload hook https://www.amazon.com/Command-Jumbo-Slate-1-Hook-17088S-ES/dp/B00T6UCAJO/

Stick the strip to the wall and I usually wait a few hours.

Then stick the hook to the strip and wait 24hrs to use the hook. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, katilac said:

The Pampered Chef Mix and Chop to break up ground beef and sausage. It's crazy better than using a spatula or flipper. There are other brands now, you just want it to be thick and to have the four sections. 

Agree with this 100%.  I gave one to every adult who came to my house for Christmas last year.   When I bought it, my PC party host noted that it was also good for mashing bananas, which I thought was silly.  Until I used it to mash bananas.  So, just so you know, it's also good for mashing bananas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, xahm said:

I love mine!!

On 11/12/2019 at 3:00 PM, KungFuPanda said:

I'm always surprised that people live their lives without kitchen shears.  Do they have those? Kitchen shears or wire cutters is how I open everything around here.  I also use my little Ikea tool box ALL the time.

I took a pair to a friend who had shoulder surgery. She had no idea!  I use mine daily. 

This bottle and can opener makes the job so much easier. It has a magnet so I have it on the fridge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009G5MDHI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This aluminum table is lightweight and folds up. It's great outside, but I use it indoors all the time in whatever work space I'm using. It's currently stacked up with books.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QCGBAQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2dd had purchased a digital thermometer "gun".  (you point it at your item and it tells you the temperature).  1ds liked it so much, he went and bought one for himself.  he took it with him when he moved out.  I've been thinking of getting one . . . . 

5 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

2dd had purchased a digital thermometer "gun".  (you point it at your item and it tells you the temperature).  1ds liked it so much, he went and bought one for himself.  he took it with him when he moved out.  I've been thinking of getting one . . . . 

Can  you provide a link for this?

I have a tiny bowl I put my rings in while doing messy cooking. It's a hassle to put them away upstairs as I'm starting to cook, and I'd lose them without a designated spot.

Flour sack dish towels are available in fun prints, with sayings, etc.

A long-handled scrub brush for cast iron pans is really nice to have.

Maybe a coffee bean grinder or French press if you think your people are undercaffeinated?

ETA: Oh, and a self-draining soap dish! Like this.

Edited by whitehawk

decent jelly roll pan + ice cream scoop to scoop cookie dough.  I use mine all the time from baking cookies to roasting veggies to baking fries...

jumper cables for each car

decent silicon rubber spatula for mixing to cooking eggs (Wilton has a good one)

power hand drill w/bits

batteries

electric hand mixer

small hair scissors or hair clippers

gardening hand clippers or gardening shears  eta: with gardening gloves

eta2: extension cords (for outside Christmas lights?)

eta3: hammer

Edited by ChrisB

I bought this last week and found it useful. Those suction cups type don’t work for me as they keep dropping into my sink. I bought from Bed Bath and Beyond with the 20% off coupon.

Umbra Sling Flexible Sink Caddy, Non-slip – Holds Sponge, Scrubbing Brush or Dishrag https://www.amazon.com/Umbra-Sling-Flexible-Caddy-Non-slip/dp/B01I58U0W6/

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/umbra-reg-sling-sink-caddy/5015808/