Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

People here already have their Christmas house lights on....

Is this some new trend? I get that for some of these homes it takes weeks to do the level of decorating they do, some hiring professionals- especially for the oak trees decked out in millions of lights— but these are just regular of houses with lights running along roof lines and they’ve already got them on every night since Halloween, so at this point I don’t think they’re just testing them out. Am I missing something? We came home tonight and two more houses in our area had put them up today and they’re ablaze tonight. I feel like I skipped a month or something. Is there a new Festivus? 

We had a couple houses turn on Christmas lights on Nov 1. It was a little jarring that day. But several people in the neighborhood were out working on them today.

To each their own but there definitely is a trend toward earlier and earlier Christmas everything. It’s a whole quarter of the year now. I don’t mind, exactly, but there clearly has been a shift. 

Some here too.  One house was fully decked out November 1st. 

Now I have to say I fully understand wanting to put them out now here before the snow and cold make it a little miserable to set up later.  But just don’t turn them in before Thanksgiving. 

• Like 1

What kind of lights?  I feel like I see people with icicle type lights long before and after the holiday, but something that's more specifically Christmas, like a reindeer or an inflatable lit up Santa should, in my opinion, wait until after Thanksgiving, and disappear by Epiphany at the latest. 

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

What kind of lights?  I feel like I see people with icicle type lights long before and after the holiday, but something that's more specifically Christmas, like a reindeer or an inflatable lit up Santa should, in my opinion, wait until after Thanksgiving, and disappear by Epiphany at the latest. 

These are just the white or colored bulb types that people run about eaves and roof lines, or in the case of my actual neighborhood some people actually run them along their ranch fences if they have fenced areas where the animals can't actually get to the lights- i could just imagine what a herd of horses could do with a string of outdoor lights.....But those take a lot of time to set up, which I could see setting up now, but not turning on now! I have not seen any Christmas yard inflatables yet, or the towering lighted things like trees or gift boxes or that sort of thing people put int heir yards. But definitely roof top house lights turned on several houses! Icicle lights haven't been as big of a thing here the last couple of years from what I've seen. People are back doing the old school big bulbs. 

Of course Hobby Lobby had Christmas stuff out in July, so maybe it's just the new trend. Christmas all year! I could be down with a year long tree, like Maize's article. My tree makes me happy. But tbh I haven't even put up all of my Halloween stuff yet. It's sitting in a box waiting for dh to shove it back into storage for me. 

I get it! It takes a lot of effort and money to put them up, so why not enjoy them longer. Once day light savings ends, the nights are dark and damp here in the PNW. It is 630pm right now, is pitch black out and has been for over an hour. (sunset was at 446pm tonight).  Seeing happy twinkle lights  makes my heart happy!  

A lot of people put them up early here, due to weather also. It gets dangerous to be on the roof, once they get damp and mossy. 

We won't put them up anymore, but I do miss it. DD20 was the driving force here and since she moved away, there won't be any reason for dh to put the effort in. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 4

I was going to suggest to dd that we do lights tomorrow, as I know she was disappointed that we didn't last year. However, lights won't go up until hunting season is over!

Yeah, it’s a real thing.  I’m generally anti-early-Christmas. I grew up with Thanksgiving night, after dessert, being the time to break out the Nat King Cole Christmas album and ease into the season.

I have a husband and children who start to talk about how they can’t wait to talk about Christmas after Halloween... before Halloween.  This year, I told them they can start to decorate the second our painting and flooring get finished in hopes that my painting and flooring will get finished faster. Dh is trying his best!

Now to brainstorm incentives for next year.  It’s worth it!

• Like 1

There's a Christmas tree up already in Walmart, at the front entrance...

I'm all in favor of coordinating lights with the end of Daylight Savings Time--I don't like the long dark evenings, lights make things more cheerful.

• Like 1

I think when Hallmark starts playing Christmas movies it feels like Christmas for many people.

• Like 1

I really dislike skipping right over Thanksgiving (and now even Halloween) to go right to Christmas. By the time Christmas gets here, I'm already sick of it all. I do understand putting up some of the outdoor lights when the weather is good and getting them ready, but I'd wait to turn them on. I think there's been a long push to get Christmas started early and it's all about money. The longer the season is extended, the more money people will spend. Even the people I know who claim to shop all year or shop early end up picking up a few things here and there because of all the holiday marketing.

• Like 3

I really think they are Diwali lights.There are a 2 major Indian-Hindu festivals October into November. 

3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Is this some new trend? I get that for some of these homes it takes weeks to do the level of decorating they do, some hiring professionals- especially for the oak trees decked out in millions of lights— but these are just regular of houses with lights running along roof lines and they’ve already got them on every night since Halloween, so at this point I don’t think they’re just testing them out. Am I missing something? We came home tonight and two more houses in our area had put them up today and they’re ablaze tonight. I feel like I skipped a month or something. Is there a new Festivus? 

A radio station here was already playing Christmas-themed ads. November 1, my dad and MIL started poking at me to get a gift list for DS11 for Christmas.  The kid hasn't even thought about it because it's too early, and both dad and inlaws are slightly peeved that I haven't produced a list yet. 🙄  

I think the new start of outdoor lighting season is Nov. 1. I was at the Hobby Center tonight and Houston City Hall's plaza had all of their oaks wrapped in lights. It was beautiful. 

(The building is always lit up with different colors, today's was LSU purple and gold. Geaux Tigers!)

Christmas seems to come earlier and earlier. A colleague went straight from Halloween decorations in her office to Christmas - literally wrapped one set up and boxed them and took the others out of the box. But I have always joked that here in CA, we need lots of Christmas decorations to remind us when the season is upon us as the weather surely would be no indicator.

• Haha 1

Right up there with our neighbors-across-the-street...well-lit Christmas tree in the front window November 1. I think it is weird.

• Confused 1

There are several houses in our neighborhood that had their lights professionally installed. Depending upon the homeowner's age, it can make sense. And, yes, they've had them on for several days. They are the all white lights. I've wondered if you get a discount to have them put yours up early? And if the lights are up, why not use them? 

12 hours ago, maize said:

That’s a lie. Or at least, it doesn’t correlate with my experience.  

I appreciate what Christmas celebrates; in a sense, that’s with me year-round. But the hoopla of commerce and hedonistic eating... I’m willing to give it three weeks at most. I don’t like the excess expectations the season brings. Extending that season extends the associated anxiety. And Thanksgiving is important, but gets buried with too-early Christmas stuff.

I want to see the related study: Those Who Take Down Their  Christmas Decorations Before New Year’s Are Happier And More Productive. But first, get off my lawn. 😄

• Like 3

We moved to a new house so not sure where stuff will go for Christmas. And I am working 40 + hours a week so I want to get started next weekend knowing it will take longer. But, if we get lights outside, they will not be turned on. 

I like to get everything done before Thanksgiving because life is crazy for us between Turkey Day and New Years. I’m already baking some of the cookies for the cookie boxes that I give friends and bring to parties at the beginning of December. Gotta get it done way in advance!

ETA

Another thing we start early, is making annual Christmas song lists that we share (iTunes). I’ve got six songs so far. I need to find about a dozen or so more.

I also like to put together an annual photo book for my kids and myself that they get on Christmas or New Years.

Edited by BeachGal

And meanwhile, we still need to bring in our giant spider climbing up the side of the house. Or maybe just put a Santa hat on her.

I am honestly questioning whether we should even do indoor decorations this year. Due to DD's conference, we will be out of the country from Dec 22 to mid Jan. I think having a tree up that long after Christmas would make us stand out, and I don't expect BK to undecorate (realistically, I suspect she will stop by long enough to feed pets and water plants, but spend most of her time with boyfriend, since BK's coaching jobs all take a break when the schools do, and her BF is taking vacation then as well).  And I have about five million things on my to do list in the next 6 weeks or so.

I started seasonal music/activities with all my piano students last week. I don't do just Christmas for our end of term recital because I end the term in early December, but I do want them to each have a few pieces that they can show off to visiting family if they so desire (and there are sometimes extra performance opportunities for Christmas as well). I kind of hope they finish taking down the Halloween decorations this weekend. Jingle bells in a haunted house is a little strange...

Edited by dmmetler

10 hours ago, chiguirre said:

I think the new start of outdoor lighting season is Nov. 1. I was at the Hobby Center tonight and Houston City Hall's plaza had all of their oaks wrapped in lights. It was beautiful. 

(The building is always lit up with different colors, today's was LSU purple and gold. Geaux Tigers!)

We drove into Clear Lake last night to go eat and run by Barnes and Noble for the kids and it was absolutely insane- full on Christmas time traffic around Baybrook, all the strip malls and Victory Lakes area. I guess it all has officially started. My Dad went to the big sale Sam's had yesterday and said the line was wrapped completely around the building, so I guess it's not just the lighting season that has begun- the shopping season has too! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mominco said:

I really think they are Diwali lights.There are a 2 major Indian-Hindu festivals October into November. 

Maybe for the ones in the suburb neighborhoods- that could be. But where I live we don't have a lot of Hindu cattle ranchers around here, LOL and that's what most of the properties are. 

• Haha 5

A few years ago we started putting up white lights on when the clock changes for daylight savings time. Now we leave them up until spring. It helps with the unending darkness. We live VERY far north and don't have neighbors, so it's just for us. 

• Like 4

We’ll put the outside decorations up before we leave for Thanksgiving. It will be a first for us. Thanksgiving is later this year and I do enjoy my Christmas decorations.🎄

3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Maybe for the ones in the suburb neighborhoods- that could be. But where I live we don't have a lot of Hindu cattle ranchers around here, LOL and that's what most of the properties are. 

Ah 🙂 yes that is my neighborhood. Lol then Christmas has come early.I saw a lot of store parking lots already crowded and looks like folks are shopping early!

• Like 1

I must live in the lazy people neighborhood.  The only decorations I've seen in the last week are strings of orange lights, giant inflatable spiders, and pumpkins on the doorsteps.  Last I checked, the guy who puts up his nativity set on Halloween was running late this year.

• Haha 3

I wait on my outdoor decorations until December...but my indoor decorations went up this weekend. We travel for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I'm determined to get the most out of my efforts! Also, Thanksgiving isn't a huge thing for me -- we spend it with my dysfunctional inlaws and I'd just as soon skip it. 

Neighbor took her Halloween decorations down on Halloween night, and put her tree up this week. Since it was 60 degrees outside, we put outside lights up today.  They are on a timer so they’ll come on tonight. I *might* unplugs the timers and wait until Thanksgiving night to turn them on, but in any case, they’re coming down before New Year’s.  All our holiday stuff will be packed away by then.  
‘We’re excited to have outside lights this year- for a quarter century we lived in a 140 year old house and exterior illumination wasn’t an option. 

• Like 1

That's fairly common here.  Even our downtown has little white lights up in the trees along the main boulevard.  People like to get them up before it's too cold, and winter gets so very dark and lasts so long, I think it cheers people up.  Plus, the lights look magical against the snow.  It's actually snowing pretty hard right now and I wish we had ours up already!

I don't usually see other home Christmas decorations though (like Santas, nativity scenes, reindeer, etc.) until after Thanksgiving.

I have several neighbors with lights up and trees visible through the windows. I told dh that we need to get the lights up soon so we are not the new slacker neighbors lol. He trimmed the hedges this afternoon so I put lights on this week😁

Over the past years there has been a real shift in when people put stuff up.  Shops here are getting their Christmas stock in before halloween.  For that matter, they start putting Halloween stuff out as soon as Back To School is over.

I think it's mainly about trying to make the period for buying seasonal stuff as long as possible.  Private homes seem to have followed what shops do.

They came up against people's tolerance about five years ago, some of the big shops and the city tried to start lights/music etc on Nov 1.  But that mean that Remembrance day on Nov 11 had all these Christmas things and it seemed inappropriate, and there were a lot of complaints.  So that no longer happens, they may put up decorations and such but no music or turning things on and such until the 12th.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mominco said:

This is what I was coming to post about. In my area which has thousands of indian people (hi tech industry) they put up strings of lights around their entrances and roofline on Dusshera, keep them on for Diwali and add more for Christmas! There are dozens of such houses just in my neighborhood.

I think I have decided that I like the longer Christmas season. If money is a little tight it gives you a little longer to do all you want to do and with 5 dd w/SOs, my hubby and three grand kids here, I could certainly use the extra time. Not to mention we also have six birthdays and a couple anniversaries during the holidays. We will definitely start decorating before Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

This is what I was coming to post about. In my area which has thousands of indian people (hi tech industry) they put up strings of lights around their entrances and roofline on Dusshera, keep them on for Diwali and add more for Christmas! There are dozens of such houses just in my neighborhood.

That sounds like my neighborhood!I think its 1/4 of my immediate neighborhood.

We had a neighbor that put up these bright lights starting at Halloween up until New Years that blinked and my poor DD had her bedroom window facing their roof!She could see the lights through her blinds!It was crazy, they moved a few months ago we were so relieved.

One of the apartments on the other side of our alley has their balcony decorated already - tons of lights. Dh nearly lost it shaking his fist and yelling, "It's too early!" at it as we walked up the alley the other day. I was like, geez, old man much? I mean, I also think it's too early.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, mominco said:

That sounds like my neighborhood!I think its 1/4 of my immediate neighborhood.

We had a neighbor that put up these bright lights starting at Halloween up until New Years that blinked and my poor DD had her bedroom window facing their roof!She could see the lights through her blinds!It was crazy, they moved a few months ago we were so relieved.

Anyone else immediately think of the Seinfeld episode about Kenny Rogers’ Roasters? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, dmmetler said:

And meanwhile, we still need to bring in our giant spider climbing up the side of the house. Or maybe just put a Santa hat on her.

I am honestly questioning whether we should even do indoor decorations this year. Due to DD's conference, we will be out of the country from Dec 22 to mid Jan. I think having a tree up that long after Christmas would make us stand out, and I don't expect BK to undecorate (realistically, I suspect she will stop by long enough to feed pets and water plants, but spend most of her time with boyfriend, since BK's coaching jobs all take a break when the schools do, and her BF is taking vacation then as well).  And I have about five million things on my to do list in the next 6 weeks or so.

I started seasonal music/activities with all my piano students last week. I don't do just Christmas for our end of term recital because I end the term in early December, but I do want them to each have a few pieces that they can show off to visiting family if they so desire (and there are sometimes extra performance opportunities for Christmas as well). I kind of hope they finish taking down the Halloween decorations this weekend. Jingle bells in a haunted house is a little strange...

We've skipped getting a Christmas tree during the times when we were going to be gone a couple weeks over Christmas.  We'd still put a few decorations up around the house and play Christmas music, but that's it!

I always used to like the way that Thanksgiving delayed Christmas in the US. I'm sorry if that's no longer the case. It starts in the shops after bonfire night here. Not many houses decorated yet though.

When I was a child, we bought our Christmas tree on Christmas Eve and kept it up for the twelve days of Christmas. Husband's family had the tree up for the whole of December, so we compromise on the 15th.

• Like 1

I haven't seen any Christmas lights here yet.  I am tempted to put mine up and not turn them on.  It's fairly temperate here right now and I really hate dealing with Christmas lights in the cold. 

We had some lights go up for Diwali... but I realized last night that the lights still up were Christmas lights. (Snowflake projectors, red/green, Santa stuff.)  

In our house, we always put up lights the weekend after Thanksgiving. But honestly, if it's making some of my neighbors happier, I really don't care.  The "tours" of lights and such start here around the 20th. 

It's officially an area wide conspiracy. The Houston radio station (99.1) that is known for playing non-stop Christmas music starting on Thankgsiving day is now already playing non-stop Christmas music today. 

Maybe this historical weather thing we're about to have has people in the mood. It's supposed to be 35 here tonight. It's 74 now. Crazy weather. I get why you people further north put them up earlier, but that is usually not an issue here at all. Unless maybe the rain makes you slide off your roof. 30 degrees in early November is really unheard of where I am, so I guess bring on the lights. 

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan
  • Like 1

I honestly wish all the lights were up already, ours included!  No one has had a chance to put up lights yet.  Our weather skipped fall and went straight to January.  (Today should be 50s and instead we have below zero wind chill. )  It feels like we skipped Christmas.