Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
stephanier.1765

I need advice from Dr. Hive: UPDATED

Somehow, someway I bruised my middle finger yesterday evening. By the time I went to bed, the portion of my finger above the bruise became numb. Still is. I leave tomorrow for 2 weeks and I'm worried that leaving it 2 weeks could cause permanent damage. On the other hand, in 2 weeks it could be perfectly fine. Is this something I should get looked at today? I really don't want to but if permanent nerve damage is a possibility then I will. But I really, really don't want to. I mean really.

UPDATE: 

I went to the ER. I took a shower following dinner and when I got out, the finger was bone white. I just knew it was going to rot off. LOL Luckily though the diagnosis is Raynaud's Syndrome and while I don't know all of what that means yet, I do know it won't be rotting off today.

Thanks for the help and encouragement to go. It was the right call. Now to do some research...

IMG_0150.jpg

Edited by stephanier.1765

Don't hate me, but I think you should get it checked out. That fingertip is awfully pale, and coupled with the numbness, I would be worried about lack of blood flow. I've gotten bruises on my fingers before, but nothing that caused those symptoms.

Hope it is nothing serious!

• Like 5

I don't like the color of the top of the finger, and would seek assessment today if it were my hand (and I tend to be a wait and see type). 

• Like 4

My husband will get spontaneous bruising like that on his fingers, and it is some common thing, but he never has had the discoloration toward the tip or the numbness.  I vote with the others that you should get it checked out.  You don't want to mess with hands.

• Like 1

I have no idea what to think about your finger, but I encourage you to seek a medical opinion now, closer to onset.  I've always been a wait-and-see type of person, but recently a relative waited to seek medical treatment until after a trip, only to discover that the wait had led to permanent problems that could have been mitigated if he'd sought treatment sooner.  So, I'm a bit more cautious than I used to be.

• Like 1

Yes - that looks broke and if the bone is displaced it can cut off circulation as well as impinge on the nerves. No blood flow can mean you lose the end of your finger from gangrene. Sorry - time to see the doctor. And not just any doctor - you need an orthopedist ASAP. 

• Like 1

I went to the ER. I took a shower following dinner and when I got out, the finger was bone white. I just knew it was going to rot off. LOL Luckily though the diagnosis is Raynaud's Syndrome and while I don't know all of what that means yet, I do know it won't be rotting off today.

Thanks for all your help and the encouragement to go. It was the right call. Now to do some research...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Did they give you a prednisone prescription? This is in the realm of rheumatology. Getting and staying that white is concerning—it means that due to cold/stress/autoimmune your circulation is shut down.

I find holding a mug of warm herbal tea to be helpful in winter. 

• Like 2

I've had diagnosed Raynaud's for years now, and I seem to injure my hands more and more easily, and yeah, I get weird bruises and stuff on them.  😞  welcome to the club, it hasn't been bad for me, just a nuisance mostly.  My dh handles anything involving the freezer or frozen foods. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Did they give you a prednisone prescription? This is in the realm of rheumatology. Getting and staying that white is concerning—it means that due to cold/stress/autoimmune your circulation is shut down.

I find holding a mug of warm herbal tea to be helpful in winter. 

No, by the time I got to the ER the color had returned. Isn't that always the way? By the time you see a doctor, the fever or other problem has diminished. Yet by the time I got back home, some of the whiteness had returned. The outside cold, maybe? He told me about keeping my hand warm and flexing it to encourage circulation but that there really wasn't anything I could do. He thinks it stems from my fibromyalgia. I'm going to schedule an appointment with my regular doctor when I return to see what he thinks about it. I hadn't thought about holding a warm mug. That is a fantastic idea!

7 hours ago, Hen said:

I've had diagnosed Raynaud's for years now, and I seem to injure my hands more and more easily, and yeah, I get weird bruises and stuff on them.  😞  welcome to the club, it hasn't been bad for me, just a nuisance mostly.  My dh handles anything involving the freezer or frozen foods. 

I've had weird bruises on my fingers for years but only occasionally. 2 -3 times a year maybe. But I live in Florida so my exposure to cold is limited. We just had on first (Florida) chill the day the bruise showed up. I've never had the whiteness or numbness before, so that's new. I leave in a few hours for New Hampshire so it'll be interesting to see how my finger does there. 

I have Raynauld's, too. I got a nifty pair of writer's gloves that are snug around the wrist to warm the blood up before it goes to the hands. My fingers would get so cold I had a hard time holding on white board markers at school. I have medication to take but it makes me so dizzy, I don't take it on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

I was wondering if it was Raynaud's but didn't want you to risk not being seen.  I have Raynaud's and get chilblains on my fingertips that make them very tender.  I wear fingerless gloves in the house and keep my hands covered outdoors all fall/winter/spring.  Holding a cup of hot tea helps, too! 

Have a wonderful trip and keep those hands warm! 

• Like 1

The ring finger on my right hand is now having the weird bruising and numbness. I'm so glad I did that last minute run to the ER before arriving in NH or I'd be freaking out right about now.

• Like 1

I have Raynaud’s.  Don’t want you to freak out, but Mine doesn’t look much like that.  (I can have all toes and fingers looking purple, for example.) 

If you do have Reynauds keep all your extremities warm.  Cold tends to bring it out.  

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

And if I get Raynaud’s symptoms I immediately try to get my fingers and toes dry, warm and circulation going.  Lack of blood circulation can cause tissue damage. Afaik. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pen said:

And if I get Raynaud’s symptoms I immediately try to get my fingers and toes dry, warm and circulation going.  Lack of blood circulation can cause tissue damage. Afaik. 

I think I'm going to start wearing gloves in the house while I'm here in NH because I haven't even been here 24 hours yet and I already have another hand showing symptoms. When I get home I'm going to make an appointment with my regular doctor to get his take on it. I'm taking pictures of the new symptoms so I have something to show him. Camera phones are awesome. LOL

• Like 2